Open Challenge #6 SUBMISSIONS NOW CLOSED

My government recently did more to convince me to check the rules before doing anything.

Sorry to be that picky, so pattern change with a part change is not allowed, but can we use several patterns ?
(Last question :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

2 Likes

This would be allowed. Manual pattern change is fine. Some machines only have 16 step sequencers, 1 bar patterns would be a tad boring.

3 Likes

You’ve got your work cut out for you here, @Microtribe !

1 Like

Here’s my entry, I used my Analog Rytm II with samples from the The Star Instruments Synare.
An analog drum synth from the 70ies that looks like a flying saucer and sounds pretty bonkers as well. See festive pic below.

No automation, I made use of the performance features of the ARII (not the scenes).
Also, I used some individual outs to route some sounds through external effects.
I use Black Hole symmetry for some analog delay feedback by twisting the knobs.
Sleigh Bell is routed through a Strymon Nightsky. Also used the FILL feature, a nice exercise in exploring the performance features of the AR. Recorded as a stereo file in Logic.

Happy holidays everyone!

16 Likes

That’s pretty far out…
Nice job!

1 Like

The three minute time limit was the hardest bit! Dam! I kept noodling off into the distorted abyss (its nice in there)
I started with the stock Sleigh bell sample found in the TR8-S, and this is where it went.
No Automation. S&H LFO used to modulate FM voices.

Also used:
Vermona Retroverb on pre fader send
Quadraverb send
Analog Heat on the master insert.

Recorded as one live jam straight to Tascam DR05. No hat, so no bonus points for me.

12 Likes

That made me regret selling my TR8-S.
First time I’ve felt that, really.
Fucking hell, good stuff.

1 Like

Cheers!

I tried to get those bell chime sounds you hear in shitty christmas pop songs. I used LT MT and HT all voiced with the same FM tone, pitched differently and played along while the pattern rolled. Not exactly christmas pop, but it is what it is.
The tape delay is total boss on that thing.

Bump.
Still a few more weeks to post your beats.

Trying to get my shit together for this one. It sounds fun, and the entries so far are awesome.

1 Like

Bump.
Again. This one didn’t gain much momentum so I’ll close it Jan 31st.

1 Like

will have a submission, working on it right now (well, not RIGHT now, but…)

1 Like

Well, its Jan 31st here in the land of Oz.

I’ll give it another day or two incase @ViolentMeals uploads something then close the challenge.

Maybe it wasnt very interesting? Maybe it got lost in the noise of xmas/post xmas, maybe everyone went jamuarying instead?

Or maybe we found the Ultimate Challenge for elektronauts? take away the p-locks and … not much happened…

So far only 2 submissions. So I dunno if people want to vote a winner or just forget this one and move on?

@Fin25
@Claid
@DimensionsTomorrow

Etc

Shit, completely forgot about this one.

Give me 24 hours…

2 Likes

Sorry. I’m going to have to pass on this one for scheduling reasons. Apologies!

Haven’t forgotten, definitely submitting before deadline. Had a few days away from home, back now. :slight_smile:

Edit: oops, I thought this was the hip hop challenge. I’ve tried to come up with something for this challenge a couple of times but wasn’t happy with the results… Will attempt to get something out by the end of the day.

1 Like

I’m super bummed out on my thing, but I may post it up anyhow. Didn’t realize my idea like I wanted to and burned out listening to it again and again. Just gotta make it through the work day, then we will see what we see

1 Like

Yeah I’m feeling the same, enjoyed making it at first but upon reflection it was super repetitive. I mapped my MIDI Fighter Twister to a bunch of effects to spice things up and it still sounded boring. :stuck_out_tongue:

I recorded a three minute take of me playing drum set and fed it to OT on a static track with a flex set up to resample it and fuck with it. The major take away from it was that I can record the drums live with my tascam dr-05X and it sounds pretty good after some EQ and compression in OT.
For some reason I’d never done that before.

1 Like

Ahem… flex machines cannot record anything, cannot resample.
Track recorders , do all the sampling.

Flex machines just play samples, from RAM and have a deeper audio editor than static machines.

Pedantic I know. But its an insight that can unlock a deeper level of octafiddling.

8 track recorders available all the time, regardless of what the other 8 audio tracks, and 8 midi tracks are doing. Octatrack has 24 tracks…

Anyway. Post your beats :slight_smile:

(I was going to record some live drums too, but went for the lazy option and used my drum machine)

2 Likes