Roland TR-8S

Thanks.
I’m using a DAW only to sequence hardware, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

Is this box class compliant? Can I plug it in my phone and record it straight away?

Nope, sadly not. Drivers are available for a computer, phones won’t work. But don’t let that put you off, you could use, and I do, the Behringer uc222 for about £20 :+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2:

Behringer U-CONTROL UCA222 Ultra-Low Latency 2 In/2 Out USB Audio Interface with Digital Output https://amzn.eu/d/az7wNVV

3 Likes

Major bummer, I don’t have a permanent setup and I’m moving gear on the desk upon playing. Not having class compliant USB makes it that more difficult to record performances. How about the smaller 6s?

I’m 99% sure the TR6s is the same, i.e. not class compliant.
The UCA222 is pretty small, only the size of a phone.

Not sure exactly what type of drum machine/sound you want. Digitakt/Tone are class compliant and also the new Roland T8 is class compliant I believe, cheap and small too… but only has 6 (I think) drum sounds and a 303 built in, if acid jams tickle your fancy:

I have two of them. A really slept-on piece of kit I think. A UC222 plus an iPad and my guitar with a 1/4” trs to phone cable gives me a great mobile loop setup.

1 Like

Probably worth mentioning that the MC-707 is now class compliant, and has a very similar form factor and workflow. No ACB modelled sounds, but you can have a full drum kit on every channel and, unlike the 8S, it supports sampling. It costs more, sadly, but it can be used as a very capable drum machine, even if that’s only using a small subset of its features…

2 Likes

One could only hope that they will make the tr8s cc as well

1 Like

Just received a TR8S today and it’s really amazing, I have the 707 and it pairs perfectly with it. These two boxes alone are enough to explore infinite worlds of sound.

5 Likes

Scanned the manual and google but could’t find an answer.

What is the complete chain of an ACB track?
Filter and FX or do you have to sacrifice the insert FX? Anything else except envelope and master FX?

What about the sample track, is that identical?

All tracks (ACB and Samples) can have insert FX plus tune and decay.

Sample tracks have many extra parameters like filters and envelopes etc.

The ACB tracks only have one or two extra parameters which depend on the actual sound for example snares have a “snappy” parameter and the FM tones have a morph parameter.

1 Like

Ah okey, I understand. Thanks for clarifying!
It’s not as extensive as an Elektron but it does sound pretty decent since you also get the sends and master FX

From what I’ve gathered so far, this thing is a performance beast.
Does anyone have experience using it as a stand-alone production tool? I get that it’s limited, but is it super tedious to design/shape sounds like melodies and pads? Especially thinking about the FM side and sample processing.
The new editor looks nice all but I avoid my laptop as much as possible.

I love the Rytm and Syntakt for their excellent sequencing and sound design, but this is starting to look like an interesting addition, as a more simple and hands on workflow?

I would see it more as drum computer, as it is.
I think the lack of chromatical playability makes it a versatile tone synth…
Course tune as automation eats one of three lanes. Better stuff another synth into it :wink:

Multitracking into daw for final touches is cool, but it’s a rythm composer, not a daw replacement like force or similar boxes.

Okey, got it. Yeah it would be multi tracked for sure, probably into the MPC and/or laptop, when 80-90% done.

What do you mean with the three automation lanes? Per instrument?

To clarify, I’m wondering how it functions as a groovebox, banging out minimalistic house/techno beats?
I recently realized that I don’t like to use more than one box at a time. Don’t have that much space mentally or physically atm:)

The machinedrum doesn’t have a chromatic mode either ;D

Yeah, but Machinedrum can plock almost everything (additional to tune i guess), has songmode.
Tr-8s you can’t plock every parameter you want. just the three knobs you have. Lfo is limited too compared to other machines.

Got it. It’s definitely less deep. I’m just imagining the vast hands-on controls make up for it but I’ve yet to try it myself. Only tr-8 briefly ages ago…

But you use the Tune knob for melodic automation anyway? Or can it be used for something else?

I’m sure only the lowest row of knobs can be assigned.
If you like to mangle while playing you should take a look at 707 too.
There you can assign all three knobs per row to what you like. You even have the option to make 2 macros for performing those knobs. Different kind of machines…

The tr-8s is a drum computer in the end, ment to programmed while life playing.
You can program a pattern while another is playing, so for jamming and as sample fodder it’s really nice.
Only bummer is setting up a kit to your taste. It’s a journey into the 90ties.
Menu diving on a small popo display sucks balls.

1 Like

Do you know if the new editor makes setting up kits less ball-sucky? I am looking at one of these as well.

Thanks in advance,

MIK

dunno, sold my tr-8s some time ago… Miss it for quick jams…