Roland TR-8S

Wait. Classic Roland. No advertisement. No build up. And randomly released on a Tuesday evening.

I mean there’s no rules to this stuff…

Cool update

3 Likes

Got it. :+1:

Overall, it’s semantics in my wording. I’m just bummed the TR-8S has not received the sample management improvement given to the MC-707, but the new update is surely a positive release by Roland.

I have yet to explore the FM sounds initially added in a prior released, as I mostly use the TR-8S for classic TR drums. The new FM sounds has piqued my interest in the TR-8S’ full FM capabilities, and I plan to experiment with them in the coming days. That said, the probability feature is the main addition that has garnered most of my excitement (at least until I explore the FM features further), and it will be used often.

I’m most excited about the vinyl sim compressor.

The stock compressor is pretty bloody impressive. Will investigate this new one.

Still no flanger as an instrument effect, boo.

2 Likes

Maybe? But I would not take that bet if I had a gig or paying work coming up, regardless of what anyone says.

This is an amazing update, bringing the TR-8s closer to a Machinedrum Mk3.

Well Im about 80% of the way through making an album. So not sure if I should update now, or wait till the songs are all recorded.

1 Like

What is this sample management improvement to the MC707? Is this a new thing?

In the 1.20 update (December 2019), the MC-707 was given the ability to access multiple sample sub-folders:

MC-707_Sample_Management

Initially, the MC-707 could access only 1 subfolder level just like the TR-8S as shown below.

To this day, I have no idea why Roland has been reluctant to add the improved sample browser, since the ability to load user samples was a major selling point of the TR-8S over the TR-8.

1 Like

Is there a feature list of everthing that’s gotten an update on the TR8S?

Gotcha. I thought there was some recent improvement.

See Roland Website

Great update. Really like the random instrument feature…

Found it. Kinda strange they didn’t make it as prominent as one would have guessed.

Ver.2.50 ] AUG 2022
Additional Functions
Please refer to the “TR-8S Reference Manual” for detailed information in the [ Owner’s Manuals ].
Added FM MODEL INST that can change the tone.
FM MODEL INST
Category Name Type
BD FM Kick Model FM
SD FM Snare Model FM
TOM FM Tom Model FM
HC FM Clap Model FM
CC_RC FM Cymbal Model FM
PERC1 FM Perc Model FM
The following TYPEs have been added to REVERB, DELAY, and Master FX.
REVERB HA-DOU
DELAY PITCH SHFT
MASTER FX FATTENER
MASTER FX VINYL SIM
Added Probability and Master Probability functions.
Random All Instrument and Random Instrument functions have been added.
Added a function to play STEP repeatedly during STEP LOOP.
TR EDITOR now supports the above update.

Really excited about the new FX and Instruments.
The FX turn the TR8s into a little pedal collection. Can’t way to route all kinds of sources through it :sunglasses:
Very nice!

3 Likes

FM Drums with way more sound design depth… ah I really don’t think I can resist this anymore. I was shocked at how good the FM is in my System 8. It sounds really “hifi” if that makes any sense. Seems like the TR-8s would be the perfect partner for the S8.

Oh yeah, Fantastic update!

Can anyone confirm/clarify what this is “Added a function to play STEP repeatedly during STEP LOOP” ?

I don’t see anything in the manual (not sure if the manual has actually been updated), I’m guessing it’s related to when you enter step repeat mode SHIFT + INST PLAY and then hold one or more steps…but not sure tbh.

1 Like

Came here to post the update but can see you all beat me to it. Fantastic additions. Nice to see some SP-404 MK2 effects make their way over.

How do the distortion FX sound on the tr8s? I’m a little bit addicted to Decapitator and constantly on the lookout for something similar in a hardware drum machine.

There are many parameters you can tweak on the different distortion FX. Its almost overwhelming. Totally possible to create highly customized distortions.

Its all personal preference but I like the drive, or drive+comp alot on single sounds. I always have the compressor on the master.

3 Likes

In answer to my own question, here is the answer (right hand column is the new function):

4 Likes

Updated V2.5 manual here:

4 Likes