Roland TR-6S

For me the trig out and Audio in is important so I did go for TR8s. And I have to say, playing it alongside DT and DN is very pleasant. I was laso worried about the size, but things are done very quick and overall acess to parameters is pretty straightforward. Looks like ot will stay on my table. Love it so far.

Nope. You can ā€˜p lockā€™ pitch data per step independently of the assign knob.

I like it a lot as well. Just might prefer the small form factor.
The audio in is an oversight. You canā€™t really use the mc101 and tr6s together without a mixerā€¦ or do I miss something? USB maybe but then you have to run both on batteries??

Really like the look of this - seems like a nice companion to the Digitone.

3 Likes

I see a tweak with a usb cable in between both (with a usb a to b adapter) being doableā€¦but can the audio in play in the 101 out while clips are playing ? or is it just for the looper track recording function ? or simply that config wont workā€¦

Time will tellā€¦

Am I missing something or is the TR6S much more interesting than the TR06?

4 Likes

No Lock Trigs (Yellow) on this one.

Almost 2 TR-6S for the price of 1 TR-8S and still half the size.

Different uses imo. TR6S does look like it has more features, but I love the 606 and the boutique form factor so I went with the TR06 for my growing TM404 ripoff setup.

Plus, I have so many battery powered / powerable grooveboxes / sequencers already, so maybe Iā€™m not the target market haha :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh and also, for some reason here in Australia the TR6S is $200 more than the TR06; I thought I saw something saying theyā€™re the same price everywhere else?

1 Like

Street price in the UK seems to be the same for both 6S and 06. Around Ā£350.

Same price for both in the US. $399

Strange.

That is strange, same price here:

it is.
06 looks better and has more nostalgia. :slightly_smiling_face:
and trigger outs.
Otherwise the TR6S looks much more versatile to me

So the TR-6S has fx per channel and a bus compressor yeah? An upgrade for a TR-09 owner with all the ACB models in one box?

How does the 606 sound on tr8s and tr6s (general and Hi hats, hi hat beahaviour)? Some owner had a tr8 before and liked the 606 sounds (especially hi hats) there?
I heard acb got quite better from tr8 to tr8s,
or am I just doing or hearing something wrong on tr8 or do I have too high expectations?

The ACB modelling supposedly got updated from TR8 to TR8S but Iā€™m really not sure what was done, thereā€™s no official statement. I think what they did was make updated versions of the 808 and 909 kits only, because there are two versions of each available in the 8S. And in terms of individual sounds IIRC itā€™s only the BD and maybe the SD that were adjusted.

I donā€™t think the 606 sounds were changed. They sound good on both TR-8 and 8S. I did a short demo of the 606 on the 8S, let me dig it out.

Edit:

The hats are just dry with & without accent etc. The loop has some fx on it I think. Panning and delay maybe.

4 Likes

missed opportunity to make the tune/decay/ctrl knobs encoders with some kind of value indicator leds around them. i strongly dislike non-encoder knobs that have multiple functions! ā€œcatch valueā€ and ā€œjump to valueā€ are both super annoying behaviours.

The trigger in looks very interesting on the TR-06 too with its multiple options of what should happen when a trigger is received.

I think both look interesting in their own right, TR-06 for immediacy and always in the sweet spot, TR-6S for more versatility and synthesis.

Very tempted by both, but Iā€™ll probably get 06.

3 Likes

Thanks, interesting.

1 Like