Roland TB-303 vs TT-303 vs TB-3 vs TB-03

My thoughts exactly. Affordable orchestra of TB-03 sounds pretty cool. Like a cheaper, way less cool TM404. :wink:

Iā€™m coming from the Acid-Dub, Dub Techno side of things though, not pure Acid.

Iā€™m no purist. TB-03 and ABL3 are close enough for me. Iā€™m glad I like my 303 sounds drenched in FX and relegated to a supporting role in most tracks. I donā€™t think Iā€™d be able to tell a difference. Or, if I did, would likely not sweat it too much.

Donā€™t let size fool you. If you were to open almost any synth made after 1998, youā€™ll find that most of it is empty space and the circuits are a very small percentage of the unit :wink:

2 Likes
4 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure the only reason the Roland box is there is for marketing purposesā€¦ someone thought they should have something that reflects a ā€œtypical userā€ setup besides just Elektron products.

The TB-03 is rubbish, just get the Cyclone TT-303. You can find an a/b test with the real thing on Youtube. The TT is awesome and sounds identical to - if not better than- the real thing, and its sequencer is definitely better than the real thing.

Also, donā€™t forget that Cenk is his own musician and not always Mr Elektron, but also Dataline.

7 Likes

I own one in person and thereā€™s nothing ā€œweakā€ about it. It nails the TB-303 in terms of sound and workflow, and the added distortion, delay and reverb effects sound good and have been appropriately chosen.

Itā€™s the most sensible choice for an authentic 303 sound and experience IMHO.

3 Likes

Heh, I have tt-303, 2x tb-03, 3x tb-303, x0xb0x, all of them are great in different ways, soundwise the tb-303 is still the best, but not by the huge amount that some would try to convince themselves of, in a nutshell the tt sounds more like a modded 303, the tb-03 sounds fairly close aside to og aside from resonance a bit less liquidy, the x0xb0x sounds the best but thats because I spent a lot of time and effort on making sure it did.

3 Likes

Actually, the TB-3 has the same ACB engine as the the TB-03 and is half the price used, but much quicker to program.

I own one original TB-303 and happily use the TB-3, unless I really want the OG sound and slight hassle of programming the original.

1 Like

Re marketing: How about he likes the classic 303 sound?

Re 303: I donā€™t care about getting an original or perfect copy. I recently got the Novation Circuit Mono Station and it 's great for acid bass and beyond. Love how it complements my Elektronā€™s.

2 Likes

Yeah, I, and probably many of us, ā€œknewā€ him as an OP-1 user/community member. I still use some of his patches a lot!

2 Likes

Your old vids with the old school machines along with the fr777 are still some of my favourites of all time. These together with d.i.m. Concept has gotten me into the whole stuff here :slight_smile:

Edit: sorry for off topic

2 Likes

I need to be in a room with one soon. Iā€™ve been enjoying writing acid bass lines lately and would like the tactile feel of hardware to do so.
There is something in the deep filter/res setting when heard online that doesnā€™t gel with me when compared to say the Avalon or even ABL3 for that matter.
Hopefully a local store wil have one I can test.

I own a A4 mk1 and for the most part you are correct. However, after writing several acid bass lines with it, recording them in Logic, and trying to progress forward I kept finding myself loading ABL3 and replacing them as I canā€™t seem to get the ā€œsqwaukā€ out of the A4 the way I want it. It could be user error on my side but with ABL3 I get it in seconds and it just hits the spot.

You cannot get the ā€œsqwaukā€ out of anything that doesnā€™t use the 303 circuitry. You can get close but you still need that glide and those envelopes.

Wrong. TB-3 has the first iteration of the ACB technology. TB-03 has an updated version.

1 Like

If you are going into specifics, you can surely provide a source for your assertion.

1 Like

Google.

I love my tb 03 and my re 303 even more, the tb 3 has the b e s t way of programming, so please someone make a combination of all of them.

Had a TB3. Liked it but it wasnā€™t great at the actual 303 thing. Iā€™ve listened to the TB03, as well as other alternatives. None of them suffice.

So I decided I wonā€™t own any of them as Iā€™m not paying for a real one.

I can get close with my Eurorack anyway.

1 Like

Haha, you lost.