Roland SE-02

Preorder placed :smile_cat:

2 Likes

Why a fifth? Well for its P-Locks and pattern chaining of courseā€¦

1 Like

No need. I do that on the AR.
Which acts as a great monosynth for my purposes.

1 Like

Is there any demos showing off the xmod capabilities?
All the demos Iā€™ve heard have sounded nice but very vanilla, the same old bass and sync lead sounds.
It would be great to see or hear a demo exploiting the wilder xmod options, in my eyes this is its point of difference, and critical as to whether I would buy one personally.
I want to see just how crazy those modulations can get :slight_smile:

2 Likes

returning to the techno chords for a momentā€¦

volca bass does that surprisingly well with its three easily tuned oscillators. i sometimes run that through the mother32 for a bit of that ladder filter and the mf104m to space it out.

not as hi-fi-sounding as a moog, roland, SE or AJH, nor as precise as an elektron, but it mostly does the job :okej:

5 Likes

The size of and the space inbetween the knobs seem ok, nothing MFB would have been afraid to put on the market. So if build quality is OK, I could be interested to get one 2nd hand

When I look at the DT+SE-02 video above, it looks like theyā€™re about the same width as Elektron encoder caps which have never given me a problem.
Itā€™s hard to tell, as the light is low on the DT, but when you look at the SE-02 pics, there is a black outer shell that surrounds the metallic knob cap. It appears to be very close in size to Elektron.

Perhaps the SE-02 knobs are a little closer to one another than Elektron encoders, but nothing like the TR-09 spacing.

1 Like

In regards to the SE-02, whatā€™s the purpose of the $50 case w/o the keyboard? Is it so the until can prop up at an angle? The only Boutique I have is the TB-03 and its case has this functionality built in, but Iā€™m guessing the SE-02 does not? Trying to determine if I need to order the case or not and what functionality it adds.

Yes. Thatā€™s about it.

1 Like

You can also find wood end cheeks on ebay (in the UK at least) that fix a boutique an angle. Look nice too. I had the two tier stand from the same guy.

This one is special. I just canā€™t stop thinking about it, and listening to demos. Itā€™s going to be very difficult waiting for this one.

On the fence on Minitaur w/ Tech 21 Midi Mouse (for numerical patch changing) vs Roland SE-02.
Price is about the same.

Minitaur has a huge bottom and adds AMP/VOL CV for CV envelopes (p-lock decay, velocity) from AK, plus I have a friend who works at Moog and would like to support him.
Can use standard TRS cables for CV control from AK. Itā€™s all 1/4"

SE-02 can do crazier sounds, but so can my AK (just not with THAT filter).
SE-02 could use third OSC as triangle sub for big bass too, and on board sequencer can be a wild modulator.

Minitaur was at the top of my list before the SE-02 announcement.

I irrationally want to preorder a second Roland SE-02 because of how wonderful I think they are, so Iā€™m probably not the best source for an objective opinion. If I were you though, Iā€™d go for the Roland SE-02, slave its midi clock to the Analog Keys, and also use the AK as a midi controller to program its sequencer.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a big appeal.
Sequence notes and filter CV on AK, with p-locks and filter LFO, of courseā€¦ and use SE-02ā€™s sequencer for other parameters only (like Korg motion sequence lanes). Then randomize sequence play direction on that SE-02 sequencer, change sequence length, change scaleā€¦ Oh myā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if parameter changes can be programmed with the Roland SE-02ā€™s sequencer without note triggers. If legato slides can be sequenced with the AK sequencer, Iā€™d consider using it as a note sequencer for the Roland. Iā€™m expecting the SE-01ā€™s sequencer to have a bunch of neat tricks, and to be super fun though.

1 Like

Iā€™m almost certain they can be.

Like Monologue, there are different buttons (switches on Monologue) on the SE-02 Seq programming row for Note, Gate, Glide, PRM (Parameter).

2 Likes

Absolutely nothing against the Moog box (at all), but Iā€™d have to go with the SE 02 (and indeed pre-ordered it). I feel like with the Moog you know exactly what youā€™re getting. Not a bad thing, but probably not many surprises either. The Roland box isnā€™t exactly groundbreaking but I feel like thereā€™s a good bit more territory to explore. Especially considering what youā€™ve got to pair it with already.

1 Like

Howā€™s the tuning stability on the minitaurs? Always been abit disappointed by how my lil phatty stays in tune (ie. poorly)

Mine is only fine foer some periods of timeā€¦ if the room temp changes, the tune gets fvckd againā€¦ Not that nice, especially during winter

I hadnā€™t seen this elsewhere so sharing. Official word is that itā€™s shipping this month it seems!

rolandaira@q_precursor SE-02 will begin shipping this month.

1 Like