Roland SE-02

The TR-09 is a bit “pinchy” in terms of its knobs but I don’t do a lot of filter sweeps on that one so it’s fine for me. :wink:

I absolutely love it in every other regard; I think the control surface is really well-designed on the TR-09 and I like the fact that they made it work exactly like a TR-909 with a few added features on top.

1 Like

Is the SE-02 out yet??? The demos look/sound ridiculously good

Zzounds is telling me it is shipping on July 9th

2 Likes

Ah yes dedicated thread…
it sounds the business - Inhave refrained from owning any of the boutiques with the exception of the TR-09 which was excellent…

But this little box looks incredible bang for buck

1 Like

I’ve been saving for a Sub 37 but this looks like a good and cheap alternative.

Hmm, I might cave in.

Wow, that would be awesome if that’s the case! That would be right before the Summer NAMM event. Sweetwater had no idea when I placed my preorder (within 12-13 hours of announcement). They were guessing sometime mid to late August and I had read somewhere else it might be September. I was expecting sometime August myself, so put my expectations in check for that or later.

2 Likes

As cool as the Sub37 is (and believe me I want one), I think the SE 02 will put my emotions for one on hold. My game plan has changed to SE 02 and then save for a Peak. My current hardware plus those additions should have me set for quite some time. Was strongly thinking about an A4 as well, but I’m afraid I won’t really take advantage of its capabilities.

1 Like

Disappointed customers should be in the minority.

Though it will be interesting to try it with elektron rubberized slim knobs too; hopefully Roland haven’t glued the knobs on.

not for me, they’ve been talking about a USB to DIN dongle for two years now, and still nothing…

would have been nice with the Octatrack.

Agreed, four years ago, I had zero analog monophonic synths and used ableton’s operator or a nord rack 1 to get comparable sounds. Or single cycles in :elot:
Now my count is up to 4 analog monos (volca bass, tb-303, mother-32, monotron delay). What would I need a fifth one for…

2 Likes

In the case of the SE-02… that mono 3 OSC techno chord sound combined with the distinct ladder filter. A4 can approximate it but not the way SE gear does. It’s a sound I’ve been quietly seeking for ages, but never enough to justify buying an SE-1.

Pretty specific I know. You’ve got plenty of analog monos for sure!

Re: Sub 37… SE-02 specs and sounds have quelled my desire as well. Plus I love portability. Additionally, the Xmod section and sequencer both take some of the edge off my Pro 2 desire.

2 Likes

I have access to a friend’s original minimoog, so even the three oscillators-plus-ladder-vcf-angle is covered… guess i’m lucky in that respect. Think i need to call him and set us up for a jam later this week.

1 Like

My plan was Sub 37 and MPC X. Add a poly too when I can afford one (REV2/Peak). Instead I got a Digitakt, headphones and audio interface and I have to buy the MPC Live too. I’ll probably be able to squeeze in the SE-02. I’m just waiting for the first user reviews and see if it’s worth it. Otherwise I’ll just be patient and save for a Sub 37. Either way, I’m excited because this (or the 37) could be my very first hardware synth :smiley:

Absolutely. I have Mother 32, 0-Coast, MS20, A4, DPO, STO, Braids… Packed away I have BS2, Microbrute. I’m sure this new Roland is cool, but nothing in the demos I’ve seen so far has convinced me it gives me anything massively new

I never dared to go into eurorack. :ooh: too much addiction potential in my case, and i’d probably stop finishing tracks.
If i were to buy a monosynth for the first time now, I would certainly consider studio electronics, they have an excellent reputation. If i had money to throw around, i’d go for the minimoog remake or a roland system 500.

1 Like

How about this badguy? Best Moog sound hamds down… i just put it together :+1::v:

Check out AJH Synth based off the very early RA Moog Model D (only c 300 are in existence)… Fattest earth-shattering sound I’ve owned…

3 Likes

Says August 8th on their website.

Wow looks massive! :thup:

They just changed it :frowning:

Fatar TP-9 keybed (same as the Moog Voyager)…
Case is made of metal (similar feel to the Virus Ti2 polar, but not as heavy).
Very well built and very useful. The Pitch and Gate are normalled to the powerbus which is very convenient. This means that you dont need to patch cables to the VCOs to play - extremely handy.

107HP in terms of space and with Doepfer power if I’m not mistaken. Add to that plenty of CV outputs including Mod wheel and pitch bend velocity amd aftertouch… arpeggiator too… awesome clock… Midi In//Out (also via USB). Line Outputs very handy.

Honestly, extremely happy for an all in one solution. I have since expanded and added the Dual LFO and 2x DH-ADSRs which have amazing envelopes.

Bottom line: Buying a case with good power, USB, midi, mod wheel, and attaching keyboard will cost more or less the same… go for it.

Only downside? No external clock input but doesnt matter… can be sync’d to clock via Midi or USB :v:

1 Like