Roland SE-02

Then don’t buy it?
How hard it is that for you?
Or buy it for your girlfriend for all I care but we live in a world where you can go and buy other stuff and pass this one like it doesn’t exist so I really don’t see any issue here.
My issue with what you say is you want everybody else to pay $100 more so you can have larger space between knobs.
I don’t :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please refrain to answer in a provocative manner.
We’re here because we love listening to and playing music, with Elektron instruments or not.

Public individual to individual discussion in a form that let aggressiveness come up is really poor.
Let’s make this place friendly and try to remember this.

You guys might also want to re-read and amend your comments.

3 Likes

Peoples’ preferences will of course vary, and some may not be bothered by it, but I am rather amused by some trying to claim these knobs are not cramped. I mean, objectively speaking, they’re cramped.

2 Likes

It always cracks me up how worked up people get over little music boxes.
Don’t think it would be suitable for his girlfriend as we know with most woman size does matter :grinning:

2 Likes

I love the Roland Boutique line for its sounds, features, and cost. But I’d be the first to say the knobs are cramped. I don’t see how anyone can say with a straight face that they are not.

2 Likes

I love them too, think they’re great (well, I only own the JU-06), but I wasn’t half pleased when they updated them with a full MIDI implementation for that very reason.

A Boutique is more than a fist full

1 Like

I like the small form factor. Can bring my JX-03 anywhere, and I don’t fear to damage the knobs, they feel more solid than JU-06 faders.

This newcomer pleases me more and more…

3 Likes

Yeah, looks like a good synth, and a nice direction for Roland - I just have analogue mono synths coming from up my ass. I need to be selling, not buying them.

I keep hearing complaints about the knobs being cramped, and about it being too small. It confuses me how I never hear these types of complaints for other modules with similarly tight (if not worse) knob layouts. I’m happy it has lots of knobs, unlike the Pioneer AS-1.

2 Likes

I’d be interested to know how wide the knobs are and how much space is between them.

I wouldn’t be surprised if both numbers are close to the measurements for Elektron encoders.

Those pictures don’t mean much unless they are at the same scale to each other

Yeah. I’ve owned the MFB Tanzbar and various Intellijel modules, and personally have a good idea how they scale. A quick Google search for the dimensions might help.

Listen to him talk about the knobs at 9:06:

Yes but the question is ‘how small are his hands?’ haha just stirrin.
Moral of the storey is like any other gear, it’s good for some but not for others

2 Likes

How does the Roland K-25m keyboard attachment for the boutiques series feel compared to Korg’s mini keys?

Crappy. The keys on the K-25m are “classic” minikeys while the Korg ones are slightly bigger and feel much better.

Having said that, I still keep my JU-06 in one because it’s such a nice small package to play on! :slight_smile:

1 Like

K-25m doesn’t do velocity nor aftertouch, and SE-02 lack a pitch bend+modulation wheel => you’d better go with a proper keyboard, IMO.

K-25m is cool with the Boutique that can be battery powered, cause you can just bring the lot everywhere. But in this case I don’t think it’s really a good idea.

2 Likes

I currently have the TR-09, TB-03, JU-06, and the JX-03 and I haven’t had any issues with the knobs or the faders on the JU-06. Sure, it’s not the same as gripping the cutoff knob on an OB-8 or a Moog Sub, but I don’t remember anyone complaining about the tiny knobs on their TB-303 or PG-200 back in the days.

If anything, small knobs make it easy to do fast filter sweeps and wobbles, make quick and dramatic adjustments, or fast mutes on the TR-09.

I’ve also owned a JP-08 and on that one I did find the fader throw a bit on the small side. It was still usable for programming, but not so much for performance.

Finally, if you compare the layout of the SE-02 with the JX-03, you’ll notice that there’s slightly more horizontal space between the knobs on the SE-02:

I honestly think no human has hands large enough to make the size of the knobs and the control layout of the SE-02 in any way unusable or utterly uncomfortable. It actually looks like a really well-designed control surface to me.

6 Likes

Fully agree. I own ju,jx and jp, never had an issue with the sliders and knobs. TR 09 is the only one that stretches the friendship for me.