Roland SE-02

Thanks. Cool, sounds good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The 3 OSC moog sound can be messy when made polyphonic.
Even chained Slim Phattys have a more narrow sweet spot. That filter is ideal for mono sounds.

But use those extra OSCs as modulation sources and it should be a wonderfully capable beast of a poly synth.
Lots to be excited about.

I was excited about the Pioneer AS-1 at first because it was the first 303-like mono to offer filter and osc FM, but it seems too fiddly to program, and those FM-features are hidden away in menus. The SE-02 has filter and osc FM along with PW FM, and the knobs are right there waiting to be tweaked (and hopefully parameter locked). I get so bored with monosynths that donā€™t offer ways to use the oscillators as modulators. I still canā€™t believe the $499 list price. This oneā€™s a total no-brainer to me. Itā€™s nice to feel this excited about something coming from Roland; I havenā€™t felt this in years.

2 Likes

Thanks for heads up. Iā€™ll wait til user reviews/videos of the poly chain mode/sound appear before settling on how many to order.

1 Like

Iā€™ll probably get rid of my 0-Coast for this one. Two completely different synths in every aspect. The 0-Coast is one seriously capable noise maker and itā€™s superbly designed. Itā€™s justā€¦Iā€™m really, really rubbish with cables (and modulars). I need my knobs and user preset slots.

About the Moog thing. This is how you do it. Companies borrowing tech and ideas from each other, making their own thing with it, build upon it, thatā€™s how technology moves forward.

What Behringer is doing, thatā€™s straight up plagiarism. A clone. Thereā€™s imitation and thereā€™s plagiarism. Uli Behringer have always been a leech, so nothing surprising with him now plagiarizing as many synths as he can get away with. I saw this quote from one of the engineers working for Behringer in the Manilla HQ -if you start working at behringer, leave your brain at home. He was talking about beeing a young engineer, you wanna come up with new things etc, but thatā€™s not how Uli rolls.

5 Likes

I like how it doesnā€™t quite sound like a Moog either; kind of like a hybrid Roland/Moog filter to my ears (unsurprisingly). I donā€™t even want a Moog. I want this.

2 Likes

Sound wise I think this thing sounds much better than the new Behringer moog clone. Its main point of difference is with the xmod options.
Without Xmod it would be pretty bland, but with it expands sound palette a lot and separates it from similar Moog clones kicking about

2 Likes

Same, plus the rather basic sequencer.
Elektron sequencers have ruined most on-board sequencers on other synths for me.
Pro 2, Monologue, and what looks like the SE-02ā€™s sequencers seem to be the few exceptions.

2 Likes

Monosynths are for sound design mainly.

I love the sound and layout of this synth, but dam I think Iā€™d get carpal tunnel syndrome trying to turn those tiny little knobs all day. Itā€™s so damn tiny! Theyā€™re too close together and small. I have big hands I canā€™t spend hours on that little thing. Shame too because Iā€™m in the market for a new mono soon.

I read that the price is expected to be 699ā‚¬?! More than I had hopedā€¦

I do like the sound though. And 128 user presets! And stable tuning :nyan:

MIDI controllers are very cheap these days too.
Plug one to the SE-02, set i tup to your needsā€¦et voilĆ !

The small knobs are probably there because small frame means lower cost.

Make a costly eurorack module with tiny knob and no one bats an eye.
But make a desktop synth with the same knobs and everybody loses their mind!

4 Likes

Itā€™s available for preorder from Thomann for 611ā‚¬.

Personally, before buying this I would wait and see how the Behringer model D turns out and what the price is going to be.

Here in Finland the local shop guy estimated the price to be 625ā‚¬, which cooled my excitement down couple of degrees.

2 Likes

I can get the Roland at a great price and the p-lockable sequencer, poly chain, small footprint aspects really appeal. I did have my eye on the behringer or a mother 32 (been wanting a legit moog voice in my hardware setup for a while). Will wait for reviews/vids on both boxes but for now the Se-02 is pretty far out front.

The idea of having to buy a midi controller to control a desk top unit is appalling to me. It really is a shame, this could have been a cool synth, and Iā€™d certainly have paid an extra 100 if it came with usable knobs.

Maybe I should buy it for my girlfriend.

Iā€™m sure sheā€™ll be happy if she likes to make SOUNDS. Might be quite disappointed if sheā€™s gets it for its size alone :wink:
Me, I wouldnā€™t buy it if it were larger because Iā€™m short on space and I need room for one more synth and itā€™s all I have.
People go nuts about Euroracks that sometimes are way more cramped and all of a sudden this is a issue.
I guess donā€™t buy it and move on to the other ones that you want. The beauty of choice.

2 Likes

Mustā€¦Resistā€¦Temptation to make obvious/weak joke :wink:

1 Like

What people? How can you possible relate my ergonomic preferences to other equipment I donā€™t use?

Am I an asshole for not wanting cramped hands?

I canā€™t even imagine trying to tweak this thing live in a dark clubā€¦

Please. Aggressivity goes absolutely nowhere.

1 Like