Roland SE-02

I didn’t even bother with that comment bc it really just sounded naive.
Not Japanese but know for sure there are some very big people all over Asia

Oh man the worlds gone mad
Won’t say anything more, other than whoever it happened to be that designed the boutique series of synths must have small hands as I tried playing one once and it was like I had elephantitis. Maybe I have abnormally big hands?
Let’s not play the racist card thanks

2 Likes

It can be a bit of a struggle - I know what you meant, and so did everyone else.

I never really use my JU-06 because of the tiny little faders. But I love its sound, I think they did a good job in that respect.

I wonder if all the MIDI remote control of params will be the usual 7bit CC affair…

I’d like this to be 500e in europe, 600 is a little bit steep, but then again similarly priced to the toraiz as1. dominion club is coming, also the circuit monostation… decisions, decisions…

Yeah, agree. I’m keen on seeing anything new, so wanted to share, but not much there.

So when comparing the MFB Dominion Club to the Roland SE-02, which is more suitable for Japanese people with their small Japanese hands? Those Germans must have forgotten how much bigger their hands are than tiny Japanese hands.

2 Likes

I can understand the complaints about small knobs and faders on the boutique stuff, but for me this puts an end to that issue.

https://store.djtechtools.com/products/midi-fighter-twister

Seems like a very flexible solution. I’ve wanted one for a long time, but the SE 02 arrival will make it more imminent. I have many other uses for it too.

At least the absence of the battery compartment on the SE-02 means the space between knobs will be more comfortable. Good to see a Boutique that gets the form/function concern a bit more balanced toward ergonomics.

Between that fact, and them being larger than Volca knobs, it’ll do just fine for me.

The spacing and size of these knobs don’t appear troublesome to me at all.

The knobs on something like the MFB, on the other hand, don’t look as comfortably spaced, and are smaller in size.

2 Likes

Look at the spacing of the knobs on the Moog Minotaur. Is it really any worse on the Roland SE-02? I don’t think so at all.

1 Like

All depends on the actual space between the knobs. Not really something you can easily measure from pics. There’s quite a lot of space on the moog (if Im judging the overall size anywhere near accurate). The se-02 looks like it’s maybe more like volca keys spacing. Which my fingers scrape on other knobs when tweaking a parameter. Not a dealbreaker tho (unless other knobs turn when accidentally scraped on the se-02. They don’t on Volca keys. Just feels a little cramped ;).

1 Like

I think it’s safe to say that it’ll feel much better to use the knobs on the Roland SE-02 than those on the Volca Keys by only looking at the pictures, and knowing their relative sizes.

I am constantly nudging the Env Int knob on my Monologue whilst freaking three Decay knob.
Those knobs are comfortable, as is the
Spacing between them.
We have to adapt.
I had bass guitars that had thin depth necks that left my hands cramped after every gig, but the tone was so good that they got just as much play time as my Warwick thumb bass.
You take the good with the less-than-ideal.

2 Likes

I agree, but I don’t even think it’s bad. It’d be less appealing to me if it were any bigger I think. It wouldn’t seem right for a monosynth to take up too much space in my rig.

I reckon they’ll maybe be about the same for finger space between knobs. Volca keys is plenty usable tho so no big deal either way.

Edit - I kinda got off track :wink: my original point was that yeah, in response to your question, it probably is going to be worse knob spacing than a Minitaur :wink: But still useable :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyone with experience with any of the other ‘chainable for poly’ boutiques?

Wondering what’s the deal with switching between Poly + separate?

Like if you have 4 boxes chained, what’s the process to select a poly patch when you’re in chain mode? Do you just select the patch on one box and settings info is auto shared via connection? Or do you need to switch patches on all 4?

I can get these cheap so I’m thinking about maybe grabbing 4 for a kind of knob per function alt A4 setup…

I’ve convinced myself I need one of these. I have to get rid of a mono to justify it though. sigh

2 Likes

psyclone brah, you need some new material, for your new life.

One unit becomes master and the rest are slaved, for patch change, sequencing, parameter tweaking.

all patches will become immediately poly capable once the hardware is chained.

2 Likes