Roland SE-02

August has been mentioned

1 Like

This sounds promising // Tomas!

What, a minimoog has 3 osc FM, triangle waveforms, filter in the LFO? Never knew that. To me this didnā€™t look like a minimoog clone at allā€¦ guess I donā€™t know about minimoogs.

This ticks quite alot of boxes tbh. Temp stabilized oscs that stay in tune, unlike my moog little phatty. Int seq with some form of param sequencing. dayum. Will need to demo this at a store before pulling the trigger though.

Int seq with gate times & glideā€¦ I wonder how well this will do teebee-like squelchylines (with healthy doses of FM thrown in!)

1 Like

People compare it to moog even though Roland never stated moog name at all.
The guy from SE said that they did something back in the day but they are know for their own stuff for ages so not sure where people get the moog comparison. They are nothing alike and the SE02 is way more powerful.

Nothing alike? Letā€™s be fair, and objective.

SEā€™s lineage couldnā€™t be more Moog.

Aside from starting out making MIDI retrofits for Moogs, the SE-1 couldnā€™t have been more Moog inspired.
In more modern times, the Boomstar lineā€™s (both tabletops and eurorack) oscillators feature ā€œwave shaping circuits adapted from 2nd generation Minimoog Model D oscillator boardsā€ (quoted from their own documentation).

The SE-02 is heavily Minimoog inspired. The 3 OSC + noise configuration, the single ladder filter with emphasis and contour IS minimoog.
The mod wheel crossfade mix, the envelope configuration.
And thereā€™s nothing wrong with that. It takes it to the next level, just like the Voyager did.
The Xmod section looks fantastic!

Are there differences? Of course. Additions? Certainly.
But nothing alike? Itā€™s certainly no clone, but It has more in common with the Minimoog than what it has that is unique to itself.

8 Likes

When I listen to the demos of both they donā€™t really sound same hence not sure whereā€™s the comparison.
Specs wise itā€™s a mono analog like a bazillion out there but with a lot of features and a $430 price tag (in my case).
I donā€™t compare them at all.

I only compare stuff within 25-30% price range.
Same reason geo metros donā€™t get compared with bentleys unless somebody wants to make a joke.

Funny enough the SE02 sounds damn well so not sure what that means when so many people put $3400 price tag synth in comparison. Does that mean Roland is so awesome or/and moog so stupidly overpriced?

The comparison is due to one product being obviously inspired by another, and SEā€™s unbroken lineage of Moog inspired products.
Occamā€™s razor.

As for why there is a price disparity, one is hand made in North Carolina with a keybed, the other is surface mount technology made in China. Itā€™s quite alright to appreciate both.

3 Likes

REV 2 is advertised as made in USA and built in SF (most expensive city here) and goes for $1399. Great keybed too.

Great, letā€™s throw a pear into this apples and oranges comparison.

4 Likes

You brought geographical data into this not me and I proven you just because it is made in USA doesnā€™t have to be so expensive.

I was actually answering your question ā€œDoes that mean Roland is so awesome or/and moog so stupidly overpriced?ā€ with objective realities.

We were discussing two synths. The SE-02 and the Minimoog. I was also explaining why that comparison is being made.
Why throw a polyphonic synth into discussion that has nothing to do with the topic at hand?

Letā€™s keep things on topic and avoid knee-jerk responses for the sake of what-about-isms.

1 Like

I simply proved that your theory about where things are made isnā€™t very true these days.
One of those things people carry over since the late 80s when differences were huge but never really gave it a fair thought and adjusted to current times. Iā€™m not gonna even mention the quality that Chinese manufacturing can pull these days which very often surpasses rest of the world.

As for those two synths.
I guess Roland can be super proud. Sweetater has over 100 firm preorders under 24 hours and they are selling like hot cakes. All forums are thunderous about it and moog is being dragged into the discussion countless times.
Quite a achievement for $430 :slight_smile:

My ā€œtheoryā€ is that things made in America are more expensive.

You didnā€™t prove it wrong. You proved it right.

The Rev 2 is more expensive than synths made in Asia.

Iā€™m done arguing. Enjoy the rest of your evening and I hope you find the time to make music as I am going to do now.

1 Like

@AdamJay ā€œā€¦My ā€œtheoryā€ is that things made in America are more expensiveā€¦ā€, ā€œā€¦The Rev 2 is more expensive than synths made in Asiaā€¦ā€.

Apparently 61 and 73 Keys versions are manufactured in China so your statement above is not true :wink:

Time to leave work. It was a very smooth day here :slight_smile:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Kronos7

A workstation with an 8" touch screen ? Seriously?

Workstation, mono, poly, FM, wavetable whatever. Itā€™s a SYNTH.

I usually donā€™t like to argue with admins for obvious reasons but before you go on insulting (I see you edited your initial post) why donā€™t you read what you wrote first and let me know which one of my statements is actually wrong. Not what you imagined/thought but whatā€™s actually written. Unless English isnā€™t your first language and if that is the issue then I rest my case as there is no point going any further.

Yawnā€¦

4 Likes

Some good acid sounds here and there.

3 Likes

Instantly pre-ordered this. No brainer for me, I currently donā€™t have any hardware monoā€™s and glad I didnā€™t buy one yet. Was looking at Moog, Waldorf and a couple others which Iā€™m sure are fantastic bits of gear, but if the sound of this holds up to SEā€™s pedigree itā€™ll be a monster. I regret selling my SE ATC-X back in the day. It sounded fantastic, but wasnā€™t fun to program and as such didnā€™t hold my interest at the time, so I let it go. Shouldnā€™t haveā€¦ oh well.

This box, Moogā€™ish clone or not (I donā€™t care) as analog with 3 OSC and a p-locking sequencer for $500 USD or less? I really donā€™t see a lot to complain about. Small knobs? No or small keyboard? So what, Iā€™ll use a controller. Do I wish it had multiple voices? Sure, but Iā€™d be willing to bet weā€™ll see a boutique like that in the future, but itā€™ll probably cost than $500. I donā€™t gig live and purely do music (if I can even call it that ā€“ LOL) as a hobby/entertainment, so I do get why this form factor isnā€™t for everyone, but spec wise, seems solid for the money.

I think it was really smart of them to partner with SE. I think thatā€™s what allowed them to hit the ground running and get it at the price point it is. Kudos to them and looking forward to what other partnerships are in the pipeline. Iā€™m hoping this will be a great buddy for my recent Digitakt purchase.

5 Likes

My first exposure to the SE sound was through Umekā€™s late 90s hard techno releases.
I read in either Massive magazine or a German rag that he was using the Pulse and an SE-1, both of which he still owns.
His Urtoxen record on Jay Denhamā€™s Black Nation Records made me pine very hard for 3 OSC monos in my late teen years!

6 Likes