Roland SE-02

Thought i heard soem duophonic stuff in one of the demos, splitting the osc’s, am i mistaken or wuz that SE02’s paired up?

Another monophonic synth in Playmobil-style for almost 500 bucks - thanks, my good old Bass Station II, if needed sequenced by MnM, OT or (hopefully soon) DT sounds, looks and feels (seems so) better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Once a single modular joins your setup it’s over! Until now I can resist, talking to me every secand day ‘man, you’ve got Reaktor 6!’ :rotating_light:

hmpf…I like this M32…

Fulll parameter locks:

Sequence notes, gate time, glide, and synth parameters … Even synth parameters can be automated by sequencing changes—just press a step and move a control.

1 Like

Yeah hopefully it’s done the Elektron way and not like how they initially implemented p-locks in Ableton/Push.

If someone was to chain 4 of these together, anyone have an idea of how practical that would be in practise? Like when switching between a 4 voice poly patch > 4 x separate voice/patches. Would you need to re-route cables etc?

Anyone found info on how complete the external midi control options are?

1 Like

damn… this is appealing. i have enough monosynth already…

1 Like

Always wanted an SE-1 but couldn’t afford one during that phase of my life. This looks interesting.

:+1: cool

All boutiques now have full MIDI CC control so I assume it’s going to be the same thing on this one.

2 Likes

Want!

1 Like

Just preordered it.
There goes my “never again buy on day zero” thing but with sweetwater discount I got it for $455.
I’m hoping it sounds as good as they make it so I can finally let my minitaur go which i find very limiting.

2 Likes

I’ve had it with monosynths. It’s not because they haven’t sounded like an SE-1, that I haven’t found a long-term use for one.

I love what Roland’s doing here, though. Bring on the Boutique sampler or workstation.

3 Likes

Can anyone with multiple boutiques comment on how flexible/convenient the ‘chain’ mode is in practise for poly patches?

First impressions: kind of annoying that the sequencer patterns are saved separately from the presets. Seems like Korg’s implementation of this is much more elegant.

Cool that the boutique line is expanding to analog synths. Looks like this ‘designer’ range is hinting at more future collaborations with other smaller makers, which could yield some really interesting products.

Shame this is essentially just another minimoog clone.

Same here… pulled the trigger on Sweetwater pre-order. I think this will make a killer little combo with the Digitakt once midi is sorted out. How did you get a discount? Prior purchase coupon? My synth/music toy budget is shot for the year.

You can buy a Gift Card today and you get insta 10% off (Fathers Day Special)>
On top of that call your rep and ask for something extra.
I got cables with it so the total discount came closer to $90 in the end.
Give them a call and get it sorted. They are always helpful and they can give you a break/discount even after you purchased it already.

FYI I was told they will ship in August and looks like the first batch will cover all preorders so far including the ones made today.

1 Like

If sequences are stored in the patches, then I won’t be able to resist this.

I’m curious to know how the parameter sequencing is implemented.
I hope it’s in the Korg motion sequence / Elektron trigless trig style, where notes aren’t required on the steps that have automation. This turns the sequencer into a modulator.

edit: Roland’s site says 128 pattern memories, so yea I gotta get me one of these!
https://www.roland.com/global/products/se-02/specifications/

“per-step gate time, adjustable glide, tempo, and patch number are stored with each sequence”

Just wow. Roland is really hitting this one out of the park compared to the other boutiques.

128 user patches/patterns, a ton of factory patches, parameter locking sequencer, chain-able, analog? $499??
They could have modeled this with the usual Roland DSP and it would still be worth it.
Loving the proper power adapter jack and no more USB-only power.

Ditching the battery compartment means space on the board to spread out the pots.
Most of the other Boutiques have their own quibbles…
TR-09 - tiny knobs, very little space between them (bc battery compartment limits layout)
JP-08 - short sliders (bc battery compartment limits layout)
JU-06 - only 1 OSC (+sub)
JX-03 - only 16 user memories.

I’m really looking forward to having some Monologue/SE-02 cage matches in my tracks.

9 Likes

Does anyone know the release date?