Roland SE-02

Yeah. I read on Facebook that Roland’s free official software editor (VST/standalone) will be coming soon. I’m so stoked to try that for creating sounds and sequences.

With the coming firmware upgrade, free editor, and that breakout box from SE, this thing is going to be even more of a beast! :heart_eyes:

External box looks awesome. Probably about $89 and coming in a few months. I love that SE is addressing issues people complained about (stepping on the filter, minijack connections, etc) and making the synth even more badass by adding a high pass filter and more gain. :heart_eyes:

The SE-02 doesn’t need any more gain :slight_smile:

It’s a very big synth in a tiny box

3 Likes

The guy from SE specifically mentions plugging in a guitar through the 1/4 inch jack for external processing. I can’t wait to try that.

1 Like

Just watched the video. Wow! The overdrive sounds great. But still. How much bigger can you go with the SE-02!?!? Wow

1 Like

I know, right?! It’s already a total beast. So happy that Roland and SE are giving it so much love. I can’t wait for the standalone editor for creating patches and sequences. That will speed up the workflow.

That’s a cool little box and honestly pretty surprised (and happy) it’s under $100. I know they need to make their money, but SE is a boutique outfit and I was expecting it would cost near 2x that. Glad to see they’re keeping it reasonable. Not sure it’s something I’ll run out and get right away, but I’ll watch it for sure.

1 Like

Another look at the “Ex(t) Box”. I think I want some of those wood ends as well. :thinking:

1 Like

ARP2600 inspired mock up but with the Roland/SE partnership continuing the sky’s the limit.

3 Likes

talk about a tight interface!

Woah. Where did that come from?!

1 Like

Photoshop from the looks of it :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Nice add-on in the SE-02 EX Box! The gain thing is a nice, but the 1/4" jacks, hipass filter, bypassing the stepping problem, and bigger knobs in general would be the bigger attractions.

Likely source of that pic - “I propose…” he says… He can propose all he wants but I think Korg might have first dibs on a 2600 reissue as they did the Odyssey already.

That didn’t stop Roland and Behringer (or Studio Electronics) from doing Moog-style synths and SE already makes an ARP filter:

http://www.studioelectronics.com/products/synths/boomstar-modular/4075/

True, but the source of that photo is a wishful thinking article rather than real news.

Would be interested in seeing a continuation of the Boutique Designer series though. It’d be a shame if it stops with the SE-20

1 Like

What I really want to see is an analog polysynth in the Boutique format. A mini analog Juno 106 would be amazing.

An analog drum machine done by Roland and SE could also be awesome.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t know why Roland doesn’t want to do an analog reissue of their own Juno or Jupiter polysynths. Maybe all their engineers from that era are dead or refuse to come out of retirement.

Korg was able to reissue the MS-20 because they coaxed one of the original MS-20 engineers out of retirement, with the side benefit of his mentoring of Tats Takahashi.

I was surprised that Roland let Cyclone Analogic get away with cloning the 606 and CR-78 drum machines. Maybe they just gave up after seeing all the 808 clones out there.

2 Likes

Now that is ridiculous

Updated firmware is out. I think this means the long awaited editor is coming very soon as well!

https://www.roland.com/global/support/by_product/se-02/updates_drivers/f2e39371-2041-4954-81a1-61bf1936b575/

Update history
[ Ver.1.10 ] MAY 2018
Additional Functions
Please refer to the " SE-02 Update " for detailed information in the [ Owner’s Manuals ].

• Bank D added
  • Tie added to gate input values
  • Clearing a patch, pattern or song
  • Entering notes from a K-25m or an external MIDI device
  • Recording a pattern in real time
  • Parameters added to patch mode PATCH SETUP
  • Parameters added to song mode SONG SETUP
  • Parameters added to System Settings (System Setup)
2 Likes