Roland SE-02

I talked with Roland stuff of SE02 division.
The answer was they do NOT release the OFFICIAL editor.

yeah but I thought SE will be doing the editor, not Roland?

SE is ?
They are hardware engineers. not softwareā€¦
since I got my SE 02, itā€™s interesting and sounds good as 3 oscillators analog synth with various modulations.
Sequencer can be used simulteniously with midi input.
So if you use it with external note controller, the sequencer of SE02 itself can be something else with its sound.

I only seq my SE-02 with A4 CV signals or my MPC live, Iā€™ve never used the int seq yet.

I will check how SE02 works with another note controller.
because SE02ā€™s sequencer has Plock. Only one parameter though.

Will do. Itā€™s not critical for me either way, but I like this mainly for the idea of saving patches within that song.

Itā€™ll take a day or two for me to look at it, but I will. At least this creator looks to have experience with most if not all the other Boutique devices with similar editors, so thatā€™s promising.

1 Like

Iā€™m curious why people want an editor for a synth covered in knobs. Seems antithetical to why youā€™d want a hardware synth to begin with.

Iā€™d say mainly for more flexibility in recall and parameter automation.

By your logic overbridge wouldnā€™t make sense either yet many people claim to be able to edit their elektron analogs better/easier with one (I dont but mileages always wary soā€¦)

If you only use Overbridge as an editor, yes that would be correct.

In this instance it seems redundant to duplicate an interface where you can access all parameters via knobs (pretty much 1:1 functionality) and reduce the interaction to mouse clicks. It sort of implies that youā€™ll never really need to touch the device after itā€™s been set up, and makes me wonder why a VST synth wouldnā€™t have been a better choice in the first place.

Some people choose vst, some choose hardware, some choose hardware that can be controlled by vstā€¦
It can be used either way to suit different peoples needsā€¦
Itā€™s analog as well, that matters to some people whether itā€™s in universal agreement or not, and to control analog by vst is different and desirable to someā€¦
It doesnā€™t have a keyboard either, which lends it to be controlled by something, and many people use daws for thatā€¦
You can control it from you computer and other times just fire it up or take it with youā€¦
Itā€™s not something Iā€™m particularly interested and donā€™t approach my gear in that way, but I can see why people would like itā€¦

Good points. I guess itā€™s most appealing from an automation mapping standpoint. I never really use automations so I tend to forget about that aspect.

1 Like

The number one reason I want an editor with any synth is to modulate the crap out of the VST with max4live lfoā€™s and the like in Ableton.
Unlimited modulation potential

Is there more control with that than by cc? Smoother resoultution or something? Just easier to map?

No the same, just so much easier seeing the parameters in a plugin rather than working out cc numbers via manual etc.
Much easier workflow imo

1 Like

Yep exactly. Everything already pre mapped in the plugin

1 Like

New SE-02 course available. Good for beginners that want an overview of what everything on the machine does. I hope they do a follow-up course that goes into sound design on the SE-02.

https://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/se-02-explained-and-explored

1 Like

I just linked up my SE-02 with the SP-16 and I think it sounds good through the THRU input on the SP

https://soundcloud.com/djadonis206/2018-sp16-trialrunv2

Certainly looks like the SE-02 software lives, on Rolandā€™s NAMM stand:

I want to see more of that breakout box!

1 Like

Patch morphing with the software editor sounds like a lot of fun.

Yeah, looks like SE had the same idea as the rest of us. ā€œThis synth is great, but what it really needs is a really large filter cutoff knobā€.

Also - blimey - just got to the bit where they point out the new PWM feature. Thatā€™s a big win for a lot of folks.

4 Likes