Roland SE-02

Can’t find this in my web searches…

Maybe someone can answer:

The output is on a stereo jack , but is the delay stereo?
(thinking about mono input channel compatibility)

I don’t think so, but I don’t have anything to accurately measure the levels well enough. It sounds really good though. Very lush when you crank the “regen” knob.

I really like that you can choose whether or not the sequencer outputs midi.

Pretty rad huh?

1 Like

Dude, I love this sequencer. It’s very similar to the one on the Abstrakt Avalon imo.

Also, I liked the Avalon, but I like this thing about three times more.

1 Like

a bass patch I made

3 Likes

Wanna hear but your gram is private!

I’m surprised by how quiet this thread is for a product that was just released.

Not that many people yet who have received theirs

They are not generally available in Europe yet, release is early September I think.

Just got mine! Hell yeah
Anybody has a list of presets / patches? Can’t find it anywhere

1 Like

I was, or have been, quite keen on the new Roland SE-02, or Behringer D because I love the sound of the Minimoog and the simplicity of the panel. I have used the Arturia VST so far and since the new machines were announced I was wondering how I could recreate my DAW patches on those machines. I then hit upon this wonderful video by @Scot_Solida :

and instead of waiting and pondering about new machines, I found myself recreating Minimoog patches with the Analog Four. I used Overbridge for the first time and it works beautiful. (I use Overbridge so far only to create patches etc as a megasize and crystal clear display; I am not keen on integrating the machines with music in the DAW). To my ears, one can get pretty close, close enough for me to wonder whether it makes sense to buy those machines when I have the A4, where I can run four of those patches together and have the sequencer and integration into my Elektron eco system.

Lets see whether I can resist but that nice video from a fellow Elektronaut got me away from searching new gear and instead I was making music :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I wanted to go ahead and try this just for fun. Using or at least trying to use exactly what’s shown in the VST doesn’t get you anywhere even close to the sound in your example. I had to tweak a considerable amount from that starting point. In particular, the noise level on the SE-02 was dramatically higher at the same indicated level. I had to play with the ‘modifiers’ (amplitude) sustain quite a bit and reduce that as well. The rest of the controls got smaller tweaks and/or were close to your patch.

NOTE: This was just tweaking to my ear for a few minutes. I didn’t put more than 5-10 minutes into it. No, it’s not the same exact sound… it’s just in the ballpark.

SE-02 Comparison

I’m sure someone could do a better and/or closer version of it with a better ear than mine.

3 Likes

Someone has written a more detailed manual:

http://sunshine-jones.com/roland-boutiquestudio-electronics-se-02-the-missing-manual/

4 Likes

Awesome ! Thx friend !

I still haven’t had all that much time to play with the SE-02… maybe a couple hours at most. First impressions… wow, like a lot of people have said, it’s incredible the sound coming out of such a small package! Literal gut kicking sounds when you want them. Hard for me to go off memory from my ATC-X (that was 13-14 years ago now) to compare, but it man, this feels good. The ATC-X had more filter options obviously, but the 3rd OSC here just adds that tasty UMPH.

I’m not some great programmer or a “player”… I peck at keys and play the computer/sequencer, so I won’t do this justice others will. In recent memory though, the only thing that’s had as much ‘wow’ factor on me is the U-He Repro (shows you how good that VST is). My biggest grip so far would be the waveform knobs. They have a bit of wobble and don’t feel like they’re up for the long haul, but that’s also me being my usual negative self.

It would be awesome if someone comes up with a full on screen editor for it (standalone, MAX or whatever). To be able to fully edit remotely would be huge.

Is the DK-01 dock worth it? I find it a bit expensive… Any cheaper alternatives?

It’s $50 plastic with minimal functionality. Hardly “worth it” IMO but only commercial solution I’ve seen so far. :frowning:

I’m going to try to 3D print some end pieces off Thingiverse since I have the means to and see how that goes. Otherwise, I’ll use Amazon points to buy this one.

can anyone confirm if the output is stereo (thanks to the delay) or mono?

also, re: tilt stands premade:

2 Likes

It outputs stereo. That’s how my interface defaults (UAD Twin) on Ch 1&2. I don’t recall the delay really taking advantage of it though. There’s no spread or ping pong that I’ve run across.

1 Like

so effectively mono on a stereo jack, a’la Korg Volca Bass, Beats…

Thanks!!

1 Like