Roland SE-02

I’d get the behri D if I were you though, much much cheaper and a very accurate “clone” of the original minimoog. The SE02 is a different beast with different sweet spots and possibilities (more FM, plockable sequencer).

However, if we forget about emulating a minimoog for a moment, then the SE02 will be a great way to get aquainted with subtractive synthesis as well as rudimentary FM synthesis. So for a synth to use for learning purposes, it is probably great.

2 Likes

I can see some things your plugin has, and your patche uses, that the SE doesn’t.

Pink noise
Unison
Polyphony

You might want to get the Behringer if you absolutely have to have the patch you posted.

I like the idea of wild cross-mod possibilities, but I already have the DPO for that. Hopefully as more demos of this synth materialise I will see more of what the fuss is about. Or hopefully not, as I really don’t want to have to buy one.

1 Like

I kinda feel the same way… the price increase for EU customers burns a lil, especially considering how dirt cheap the behri D will be… And the behri D will be able to pull off those 90s trance “Age of love” screeches with its non-steppy filter controls… But the SE02 sounds great otherwise, no doubt about it.

Yes, don’t get me wrong, it sounds ‘good’, but just haven’t seen/heard a demo yet that makes it sound particularly special. On the other hand I’m not really familiar with the SE sound - I know the Boomstars are highly rated - so it’s not something I’ve lusted after particularly. For those that have, I hope this box nails that sound for them.

Regarding this - Skinnerbox have updated their YT comments to say that Roland have confirmed that all the bugs they identified in their review have been fixed for production units.

1 Like

The difference of the noise does not matter here and there is no polyphony. The SE02 is sold with the Minimoog in mind, so why not asking then how close one gets?

My question is whther one can get a workflow that translates Minimoog patches into SE02 patches, that are reasonably close. In that case I buy the SE02 because of the extra bits.

There surely are many people interested in the SE02 because of the Minimoog. I guess, I am not the only one who would like to know whether one recreate patches reasonably well.

Right on. Is there a unit you can go try for yourself?

No, I have no access to either the Behringer D or the SE02, which is why I was hoping someone with an SE02 tries to recreate a patch and we can at least compare it to the VST.

Gotcha. Like I mentioned, I don’t even know how to initialize a patch. I just start with patch 1 and tweak it until it sounds good to me. Wish I could be more helpful. Good luck

I can try emulating this, but not until late in the week… possibly Friday or Saturday. My SE-01 arrives today, but I’m away on a business trip until later this week. :neutral_face:

1 Like

I don’t think there’s an INIT function (nothing listed in the manual), but I asked in a Facebook group and someone said: “User Bank has 32 preset patches that I believe are duplicates of a few from the other banks, and then the rest of that User Bank is 96 INITs (all Saw, with only OSC 1 turned up). I copied one of those to be User Bank patch #001 for quick access.”

That appears to be the method to as of now to start with a default (blank) patch. I plan to do the same shortcut to copy one for quick access.

3 Likes

COMP is like Kit reload. COMP means compare. Great for quick change ups. FYI

1 Like

That’s even cooler since you can go back and forth between the two stages :nyan:

Sounds epic tbh

7 Likes

The beginning of this vid sounds so much like my Karp ody… I have a hard time telling them apart!

I just took a break from work to pick mine up from GC, and drop it off at my place. Approximately 4 more hours until I get to unbox & play with it to my heart’s content. Just finished the summer probability & statistics course I enrolled into for the summer last week, so I can just relax and make music tonight for a change :grin:

4 Likes

instant love :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

C’mon are you sure it’s love and not just a short term romance?
I mean you just met :grinning:

1 Like

Nope. Definitely love. Enormous range. I’ve been creating overmodulated messes, but man this thing sounds so good. Very articulate; I like when I get it to sound “organically metallic.”