Tutorial: Beginner Synthesis with Analog Four

The discussion in the ‘Instant Gratification’ thread prompted me to make a lengthy tutorial on beginner synthesis on the Analog Four. This video starts with the default Analog Four patch and walks through each of the steps necessary to create a copy of one of my favorite Minimoog Prog Rock-style lead sounds on the A4. Along the way, it covers subtractive synthesis from the ground up. Even if you don’t use an Analog Four, this might be useful, but if you do, and you want to learn the basics of synthesis, it might be of particular use to you. More will follow, building further on the concepts begun here with each covering more synthesis functions found in the Analog Four.

84 Likes

Thanks for this, Im still wrapping my head around the A4 so this is ideal! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fantastic Scot!

1 Like

wow! thanx for this…

1 Like

Thanks! Nice video, tutorial and patch. Super pro delivery/presentation, very clear. I think you could speed it up just a tad and not lose the beginner appeal, but either way this is great.

2 Likes

I agree, just little cuts in the video (or faster transitions) to make it shorter and a little bit more dynamic, and it would be perfect. :thup:

1 Like

Well done Scot, I’m baby sitting my dog as she’s sick at the moment so gave it a watch through. I think for beginners it would be ideal. Clean presentation, with clear and consise instructions. I thought the pacing was fine, and I was only really watching to give feedback and didn’t sit thinking hurry up and get on with it.:+1:

1 Like

Very smartly done. Though I instinctually understand subtractive synthesis from teaching it to myself, I really appriciate the more technical aspects of the video. I haven’t watched the whole thing so far, but I will.

Really looking forward to that Prophet 5 sound video you were talking about.

I think this probably deserves a perma sticky to the top of the A4/Keys subforum.

2 Likes

Thank you, please post more tutorials!

1 Like

Big thank you. Exactly what I was needing to get my head around a few things. It would be lovely to have a few of these sort of tutorials for other sounds! I find these sort of walkthroughs incredibly useful - a shame there aren’t many around (I pray for the day someone does a Rytm tutorial like this!!!).

I thought you presented things very clearly and informatively by the way and, for me at least, things were paced spot on for me to follow along. Biggest takeaway - forget trying to programme without Overbridge!

2 Likes

One question. I felt the mod wheel functionality was hard to follow as I could not see how you drove this from the hardware. Can this be explained a little please (by anyone who understands it really).

1 Like

You can access to mod wheel assignments with Fn + Osc 1. Down arrow till MODULATION WHEEL, turn LFO1.

In the tutorial, you access it with Fn + SOUND > SETTINGS > MOD WHEEL.
Direct access with Fn + Osc1 (or the other grey buttons, Osc2, Filters, Amp, etc…)

2 Likes

Thanks, I will try that. Never used that before so bonus features for me :slight_smile:
Couldnt find much about it in the manual either.

1 Like

Found that by chance. Must be in the manual. :wink:

1 Like

Page 25:

MODULATION WHEEL
gives access to a menu where up to 5 PARAMETER page parameters can be assigned to the MIDI mod wheel command (CC #1). Open the menu by pressing [YES/SAVE]
Setting up the parameters works in the same way as setting up performance macros, covered on page 17.

2 Likes

very insightful tutorial. I’ve been squeezing my brain for a few weeks already to get to grips with my new A4, but this really helps to understand the basics of synthesis. I for one would welcome more of this style tutorials! So thanks a lot!

1 Like

I think for beginner this tutorial is great. You explain everything very clear and givr a nice introduction to subtractive synthesis as well. I also think it was a smart decision to use overbridge for your tutorial. It’s easier to follow having access to all those parameters at once. Keep on, might prevent some people selling this great synth.
Would be interested in a tutorial for lush analogue style pads :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I meant the shortcut to access Sound Settings :
Function + Osc1, or other grey keys. Couldn’t find it in the manual…anyone ?

I didn’t use Overbridge yet and it is interesting to have both ways to modify settings in the tutorial. OB is more visual btw.

1 Like

Couldnt find anything more than that but it could be buried somewhere :slight_smile:

I’m happy to see such a nice response from this community. I am quite pleased that A4 users can get something out of it.

That’s next up. Gotta get myself on the other side of some looming deadlines and then I’ll do that one.

Yeah, it really helps equate the Analog Four with other synths, especially for those familiar with software synthesizers, as it bears a close resemblance to many of them.

4 Likes