Roland S-1 Tweak Synth

Any tips/suggestions/guides for making good sounding patches? I picked this thing up on Friday and have been struggling to make anything sound as good as some of the pre-loaded patches. Maybe I just need more practice haha

Youā€™ll get there I bet. Iā€™m not the best sound designer but have noticed if I just sit with it at some point I hit on something Iā€™m really proud of.

1 Like

If you are able to match the quality of presets in the first couple of days, then the range of the device is probably not that great. Remember that the developers had liberal amounts of time to design those, and they chose ones that show off the device to best effect. Just take your time and explore and take notes on what works best for you.

6 Likes

Speaking of presets. I have not even listened to them yet. I just hit shift-write and enter and it says done. I am not sure what slot my patches save to. The first preset that loaded up was kind of a chords thing that I reset to default. may have copied over that one. I am not sure.

One thing I noticed about the init is the volume defaults to 70. I wondered why the synth was so quiet until I saw that setting.

My understanding is that it saves to the slot that youā€™re currently on, unless thereā€™s some wizardry Iā€™m unaware of. For example, if Iā€™m on 2-12, then when I save it, it saves to slot 2-12. Rather than thinking of them as patterns, I think of the selections as presets that happen to have a sequencer attached.

3 Likes

From memory, you can also copy from your current preset/pattern slot to any other chosen slot.

Good patches is very subjectiveā€¦ I think you first need to understand what patches you prefer and why you prefer them.

As an example, Iā€™m very sensitive to high pitched sounds, so I prefer pads that are very subdued, with a hint of noise in them and wobbly pitch. So with that in mind it is a lot easier for me to make patches I like.

3 Likes

LOL iā€™ve had this thing for a few months and not noticed that. I thought it was a tad quiet in some situations :joy:

I have 0 experience with the sh-101 and very little experience with Roland in general. I love the sounds I am getting with this synth but none of them sound like the organic almost cello-like timbre(? I have no idea how to describe the timbre actually) of the sh-101 patches that Dorian concept uses

Has anyone successfully recreated sounds like this? And if so, could you share any tips?

Since Iā€™ve never used the 101, Iā€™m not sure which aspects of it are responsible for that character and which elements are maybe taking me further from it

1 Like

have you experimented with the keytracking values for the filter? i feel like thats where i was getting the most organic results when i had my s1. could be speaking out my ass rn tho

3 Likes

I had not but thatā€™s a very good tip, thank you. I guess it wasnā€™t incredibly hard to get in the ballpark but this helped a lot

Saw wave only, 10 oā€™clock filter freq with 60% vcf env amt, short decay with a little bit of attack-enough to subtly ā€œbowā€ in and light sustain, 16ā€™, very low saw wave lfo on filter and tune, keytracking 175 sounds pretty good. Maybe a tiny bit of -2 oct sub

I guess most of the magic as usual is in the filter but particularly so with the character of this synth. Never fully opened, but higher frequencies peak out just slightly

4 Likes

I love that sound behind pattern 1-02. Iā€™ve already looked at some parameters, but havenā€™t yet found out what causes the magic. I always find such analyses difficult with the S-1, even though it has a rather simple architecture.

3 Likes

nice im glad it helped. im a big fan of dorian conceptā€™s sound too, makes me want to get one again to try out your recipe lol

1 Like

Some slight ENV attack, a bit on LFO on pitchā€¦ Donā€™t forget that Dorian Concept is a hell of a player, so you almost donā€™t see him touching the little modwheel. To achieve this, youā€™ll have to use an external keyboard. Or program the automation ^^.
I use the Keystep37 and itā€™s perfect for playing with the S-1, all I need :slight_smile:
Oh, and an Elektron sequencer of course. Although I often use S-1 own sequencer.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s a little demo of the S-1,
recorded directly without any addtional FX/processing.

22 Likes

Awesome, and cheeky underworld reference there! Sounded brilliant

3 Likes

I had to go play born slippy on the keys and try and nail your preset by ear. Just great. I got pretty close to your patch with it but it sounds like you have some modulation happening on the delay and i havenā€™t dove deep enough into the s-1 to grab that effect, haha.

Pretty amazing synth for just 1 saw wave, it still cuts.

1 Like

Thanks - no modulation on the delay though :slight_smile:

What about automation? Havenā€™t tested it on delay yet but if it works, there is your modulation.

Yes, you can record automation also for the FX parameters, even for those ā€œhiddenā€ in the sub-menus or shift functions.
But none used on the BornSlippy/NUXX chords above.

2 Likes