Roland S-1 Tweak Synth

`Roland introduces its new S-1 Aira Compact series synt that combines retro spirit and advanced capabilities in a pocket-sized package that you can take anywhere.

Thanks to the ever-evolving Analog Circuit Behavior (ACB) technology, it offers the authentic tone and response of the SH-101, an iconic 80s monosynthesizer appreciated for its distinctive sound and simple direct access panel. Extending the original design with four-voice polyphony and a host of innovative features for superior music creation, the S-1 makes it easy for musicians of all levels to explore the power of synthesis through a friendly and simple interface.

Roland S-1 is packed with expressive tactile controls, it’s a miniature sound and performance design powerhouse. Create luxurious shades with oscillator, envelope, filter and LFO sections.

Create immersive music in moments with the S-64’s 64-step sequencer and 1 patterns. Record in real time using the built-in keyboard or switch to step mode for detailed note entry and editing. Use motion recording to animate patterns with changes to panel controls or set parameter values for individual steps.

Connect S-1 to other AIRA Compacts and standard MIDI devices with optional Boss TRS MIDI cables.

FEATURES
Ultra-portable polysynthesizer inspired by the legendary SH-101
Authentic sound of the SH-101 driven by Roland’s evolving Analog Circuit Behavior (ACB) technology
Create new sounds with oscillator, envelope, filter, and LFO sections.
Mono, pole, unison and chord modes, and four-voice polyphony
Manual control panel with synthesizer controls to shape sound instantly and make changes during live performances
Integrated keyboard with a range of over two octaves
64-step, 64-pattern sequencer to create songs on the fly
Advanced programming tools, including motion recording
Easy-to-use arpeggiator with eight types of phrases
D-Motion function to control pitch, modulation and other parameters by physically moving the S-1
Color and process your sounds with a variety of delay, reverb and chorus effects
Full connections with audio, MIDI and I/O sync, plus AIRA Link
USB-C audio/MIDI interface compatible with device class, no driver required
Lithium battery with autonomy up to 4.5 hours of use per charge
Robust construction and high-quality rubber pad
Connect to other AIRA Compacts and standard MIDI devices with optional BOSS TRS MIDI cables`

Roland S-1 Tweak Synth | Musical Store 2005

22 Likes

Instabuy

4 Likes

I’m simultaneously annoyed it’s a Rolca, and tentatively happy it exists.

5 Likes

Yes please yum

Legitimately more excited for this than any announcement so far. I’m such a sucker for this kind of thing. The t8 and j6 are so much fun.

3 Likes

Just when Bad Gear was running out of Roland stuff to review.

26 Likes

same

1 Like

hope they add this to the T8 as well

1 Like

Could be cool to couple with my M8 Tracker as a portable 4 voice poly synth. Why this and not a Roland SH01a?

2 Likes

smaller, lighter, built in battery, audio in and fx

4 Likes

Seems awesome, but I bet they’ll do their usual Roland and not include midi CC support, like others from the series.
Please get me wrong and even if I already have an sh01 I’ll get one!

Edit: they also have improved on the UI side, labels for shift functions, finally \o/
I wish motion recording and 64 steps comes to the T-8 too, otherwise it will get weird playing together

3 Likes

Lack of CC is why I sold my J6 and part of the reason I now have a soft ban on Roland products…

4 Likes

Looks great! Now where is that aira compact 4-voice SP sampler? :relaxed:

7 Likes

Yeah, careful, with Roland, there is always a catch, wait for the manual/guide and see what that device actually supports when it comes to MIDI. The rest of the spec looks *good if it sounds like the SH01A. was there a chorus on the SH01A?

1 Like

Also no presets. For a digital synth, it’s a bit cheap. These small units could be all time killers if the small (voluntary) gripes were fixed.
But they still want to sell SH01a (I wish it had the FX from the S-1!), the TB03 (wish it had the same authentic accent sound of T-8), etc :frowning:

EDIT: Seems to have 64 presets as sounds are saved with patterns, so same as SH01a.

On the surface this looks awesome!

No presets huh, well could be a good thing actually

1 Like

Yeah, if you pay only $200 for a Roland digital synth you shouldn’t be allowed to have preset!!! Roland MBA,probably…

1 Like
8 Likes

I probably replace the J6 with it. The J6 is nice but a bit too limited in synth controls. This looks much better

1 Like