Roland JX-08 & JD-08

I was always eyeing for those two, but never bought them. Vintage gear that is too heavy, too big and too old. This is great!
Curious how programmable they really are.

The JD-08 is so cuuuuute!

I never liked the JD800 back in the day and certainly still donā€™t, so Iā€™m not interested but I like looking at it.

1 Like

I donā€™t care what they call it , acb etc ā€¦ if there were 2 x version of the same device it would matter but as thereā€™s only the one acb jx08 then thatā€™s the one you can buy ( or get the old one ) . Al these acronyms are just invented by Roland to make them seem new.

I have been a little tempted at using Roland cloud esp if I buy new mac M1

Iā€™m looking at my sh01a, ju06, a-1 and dust is starting to settle .
And itā€™s funny to see Roland bloke seem excited about playing a sequence backwards / random ā€¦ itā€™s not exactly newā€¦ the a-01 does quite a lot of playback types , they should copy that.

Was the JD800 used in a lot of techno or idm stuff?
Most sounds I heard in these videos so far sound like cheesy popā€¦ not the good kind of cheesy :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I think itā€™s on a lot of b12 tracks and those sounds are on lots of Detroit trackā€¦ jd800 wise.

8-10 weeks

3 Likes

thanks. Will have to dig for some cool examples

hang onā€¦so ACB is now considered vintage?

i look forward to the new generation of modelled-ACB, ā€œAnalog Circuit Behaviour Behaviourā€ synths in a few years

6 Likes

According to an inside source (Dat Records label head: Draeke), this classic mid 90s goa trance albumi is 90% jd800:

Same crew also released this, and I read the leads are mostly jd800 as well.

Personally, I might pick up the new mini version, if the inevitable comparison videos show itā€™s pretty close in sound

2 Likes

Thanks for postingā€¦ never listened to goa trance. Sounds horrible to me unfortunately :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Given that the JX-08 is bi-timbral & 20 note poly, really this is basically a Super JX-10 then I guess.

Yeah - the sliders look like PG-800 sizeā€¦
Sadly it doesnā€™t have Chase Play - which was the most fun you could have on a JX-10.

Whilst I had some fun with my JX-10 ( it was a terrific master keyboard ) I donā€™t really miss it, but I think Roland have done a decent job here. If you want absolutely killer pads / analogue strings though, itā€™s the machine.

1 Like

Yeah JD-800 was used on a fair bit of trance, it is a capable synth that builds/borrows from earlier Roland stuff like D50 (although without LA synthesis).

1 Like

Youā€™ll hear it when using the filtersā€¦ I tried out a Jupiter XM side by side with my System-1 both on ā€˜SH-101 Plug-outā€™ and the basic tone is exactly the same until you crank up that resonanceā€¦ System-1 was screaming like you would expect while the XM was one big nasty aliasing fest with resonance full on :wink:

Ofcourse this was an extreme example and ymmv, but ACB is just more faithful to the original if thatā€™s your jam.

2 Likes

mehā€¦

4 notes (Polyphonic)

yawn

good info! Unlike @craig I mostly enjoy my resonances all the way up :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

ACB models entire circuits in code. As you might imagine, this can be quite taxing on whatever CPU is running it. But this description has given it the same ā€œmagic circuit dustā€ glow ā€œtrue analogā€ possesses to some.

Rather than modeling the entire circuit, ABM models just the results of those circuits. Less power, more polyphony.

And generally the results are just as good. Where it can sound quite different from ACB is where the quirky interactions of circuits effect the sound. ABM is only modeling the ultimate output, and thus is less quirky.

But for all of that, theyā€™re both emulations. Neither are exactly the same as original hardware (despite what some ACB die hard will tell you) and none of the three ā€” true analog, ACB, or ABM ā€” sound bad.

So it depends on what youā€™re looking for. Authenticity, playability, flexibility, tweakability. All have different strengths and weaknesses.

1 Like

UDO did a fantastic modern take of the Jupiter-6, the Super 6.

2 Likes

Couple of questions:

• Does JD-800 and its boutique versions have superset of features of D-50/D-05? Or not so close?
  • How JX architecture corresponds with Juno/AlphaJuno/JU-06, etc? Can it achieve similar sounds?

Asking because missed the chance to get D-05 for reasonable price and always wanted the Alpha Juno :slight_smile: Would these 2 boxes be a good replacement for these classics?

9 Likes

Yes the UDO Super 6 seems like a very nice synth, although it is fairly pricey I think.

Iā€™m hoping for a Jupiter-6 plug-out to put into my System-8 :slight_smile: I donā€™t mind if it is digital, as long as it sounds good!

3 Likes

why does it state 4 voice polyphony, when roland said it has more in the comments of their Youtube video?