Roland JX-08 & JD-08

I presume they just copy / paste the supplied info , and Roland got it wrong ?

Most of the demos would sound terrible if it was only 4 note poly … they should ensure their marketing blurb is updated to 20.

Only the sequencer is limited to 4 notes, otherwise it has 20 voices polyphony. Both.

4 Likes

the JD actually has up to 128 voices.
The JX 20 voices…

Instead of getting the info directly from the product page, you have to hunt down youtube comments…

3 Likes

Ordered both. I have to try them out. With Boutiques it is for me, that they either work. Or not. But i must try them first. So far i only kept the SH01a…

OT: Legowelt has a sample collection of 500 samples from the JD800 on his site.

http://legowelt.org/samples/

5 Likes

Yeah, I couldn’t find the info on at roland website.

128 voices is good… pad machine it is.

3 Likes

Did we already had this video?

Sounds only, no talking:

1 Like

Yeah I think all the Roland emulation stuff sounds great, however they implement it. the only reason i got rid of my TB-03 was because they screwed up the accent behaviour. i’ve got a TR-6S and the x0x emulations on it absolutely slap, to my ears, and i don’t lust after an analog equivalent.

1 Like

Wow the JD has absolutely unbelievable visual gadget appeal.

6 Likes

I have to say, i am with Unifono in this case…the JD is rather cheesy sounding, but…she was just playing factory sounds. The JX has some great sounds, though a bit brassy for my taste.

1 Like

I think they probably made the right choice to skip ACB on the JX-08, doubt anyone really cares about how accurate that synth is recreated down to tiny details and at the same time they get to please the people wanting more poly on a VA. Hope it doesn’t mean ACB is dead though, those engines sound great… maybe they will just shelve ACB until they can get the voice count up in the right price range.

JD-08 is adorable, I could see someone just using at a super basic little groove box with the 2 sequencers and 4 layers on the parts. It also hits a bit of nostalgia for me, I almost just want one to have one and not even really use it.

4 Likes

Totally agree about the UDO Super 6 - lovely synth but a totally different market segment. I’d love a boutique Jupiter-6 - I’ve only ever played one briefly in real life and it was absolutely lovely - much preferred it over my Juno 6 and the Jupiter-8 that I had an equally short time with…

Anyway, about these new boutiques - really liking the look of the JD-08. With that level of front panel contol it’s a much more appealing proposition than the D-05 boutique ever was. I’d imagine there would be all manner of interesting timbral tweaking to be had… just had a look at the manual also and the MIDI implementation seems pretty decent. Would pair up well with a Digitakt for example - MIDI LFO to waveform select? Sounds interesting…

ABM still models the filters, just not the rest of the circuits.

You can see this in the massive voice count drops when using the VCF models in the Jupiter X(m). Goes from 256 voices to 32 or sometimes just 8 depending on how many are used.

Maybe people don’t like those models as well as ACB but I think the filter is probably the most important to model (and so does Roland apparently). The rest is less important imo.

They’re both models with limited set points vs (theoretically) infinite set points for component interactions you get in Analog.

ACB vs ABM isn’t really a huge deal IMO. They both sound like very good models and neither is going to get you 100% analog.

These particular re-creations are even less important for ACB vs ABM. It really just comes down to which model you like the sound of.

7 Likes

100% agreed. there’s a lot of the boutiques that are quite desirable, go for well over what B’s clones do, went up in price after being discontinued, and sound better anyway. so yes, clearly there’s strong demand there. for me, if I can’t get the original, I’d rather have these over the B offerings. I’m likely not alone.

6 Likes

Kind of mulling these over, especially the JX, my set up is kind of based around boutiques with 3x MX-1 mixers, nice easy swap outs just 2 cables to do a quick change up, though all the others are micro USB, and also the collector/completist side of me is pretty tempted, but my rational non consumerist side is currently winning :laughing:

11 Likes

They forgot to model the most important part of JX-8P, the lovely VFD display. As a former collector of portable game machines I love the look of vacuum fluorescent displays.

The Boutique line-up is feeling more compelling by the minute. My favourite preset pad sound has always been “Soundtrack” from the JX-8P. Pure aural bliss. For a guy who’s trying to fit as much synth on a single table, I really should start buying into Roland Boutiques. There’s a dude in my hometown selling something like 10 Boutiques for the asking price of 3000€ That’s a good start for my collection. Heh.

6 Likes

Love my ‘8P but it’s not in as good condition as yours! It works beautifully tho… well, apart from the AT!

1 Like

Yes I have the 08, very nice.

On the 08 and 09 you have a gain parameter for each voice in the menu where you can jack it up pretty loud - did you try that on your 09?

Yeah, maxed out. :grimacing:
The menu is a bit of a drag, but there’s probably some settings I haven’t tried.
Haven’t tried USB audio, either, too bad it’s not class-compliant.

edit: Sorry about OT post

I’ve been missing the JX sound ever since I sold my MkS-70 to @Scot_Solida

Super surprised that they went bitimbral on this , and with the voice expansion. Kinda sets it apart, reminds me of the MKS, and makes it more enticing. But I also gotta look into the patch/tone memory scheme, as the old way Roland did it annoyed me.

I wonder how the envelope modeling is. There were some tricks to get them snappier on the MKS-70. Crank the key follow, drop the OSC octaves, and play the licks at a higher octave. I actually got some acid out of it using this trick.

Overall I prefer the envelopes on the Hydrasynth but I am still interested in this.

4 Likes

Ah, I only use mine over USB into the MX-1 where it is plenty loud, maybe the line level is a bit lower?

2 Likes