Roland JX-08 & JD-08

The boutiques are awesome. Build quality is insane. Sound is undeniable. The midi is rock solid, unlike another company I dont need to mention. People whinge about the tiny form factor yet er… eurorack?

Anyway, I might get one of these JX 08s. Right up my street.

8 Likes

That may be how Behringer like to make it appear, but the SH-01a is pretty popular and has a lot of enhancements over the MS-1, and sounds better, despite not being analog or full sized. Different target markets really.

12 Likes

and WHERE is the Jupiter 4 Boutique, why ignore the best sounding synth they ever made???

https://amsynths.co.uk/home/products/oscillators/am8400-jupiter-4-vco/

5 Likes

RolandChannel:
JD-08 is powered by PCM sound engine.
JX-08 is powered by ABM (Analog Behavior Modeling) sound engine.

Waiting for this… promars and sh2 would be nice as well, since there are already the plugouts

1 Like

Don’t forget the Jupiter-6 which is the best of them all IMO

1 Like
4 Likes

JX8p is probably the most under rated Roland poly, it also happens to be one of the best, a early deep house classic for sure, looks like the sliders on the JX08 are about the same size as the original PG800.

8 Likes

get a System 1 keyboard for that?

1 Like

too ugly unfortunately :grimacing:

2 Likes
2 Likes

JD 08 sounds better to me.

2 Likes

Nice! GAS!

Makes sense, the JD-800 was 100% PCM with digital TVA/TVF.
Not sure about ABM vs ACB but I think it is less processor intensive than ACB, I look forward to the inevitable comparison videos of 8p vs 08.

2 Likes

was expecting that… Seems they replaced ACB now, since people were always complaining about the limited polyphony.
Many say ACB sounds a lot better… no clue if I can hear it

After watching the Roland demo on the JD I’m pretty sold. Sequencer looks great, and those four (definable?) sliders are pretty handy. Would be quite nice alongside M8..

I wonder if they’ve manage to implement USB Class Compliance this time around.

I hope so. Having to install a separate driver for each device is a pain.

Pretty cool. In the jam at the end of that video he has a lot going on those two.
A drum kit on the JD by setting key ranges, and a bass and pad sequence on the JX. You can set the sequencer to different clock divisions, so it‘s possible to program slow evolving sounds…
And everything bitimbral…
Quite a step forward for what you can squeeze out of Roland boutiques

2 Likes

Yeah, they’ve definitely taken a few leaps in terms of how much functionality you can fit in such a small box.

1 Like