Roland JX-08 & JD-08

Really enjoying the JX-08. Wish it had a sub oscillator though. Just ordered the JD-08 to try. How is everyone liking the smaller faders?

TBH neither of these vintage synths were something I ever lusted after, but I do like the idea of these little, but fully featured synths, that I can swap out on my desktop.

1 Like

Crickets, eh?

Perhaps the most complained about feature of the JX-8p/10 for decades. And I can’t seem to find anyone discussing it regarding the boutique, anywhere.

1 Like

Nick Batt will provide. Eventually.
In Batt we trust.

1 Like

I think there is an option in the menu to extend the original range of some functions, that probably includes the envelopes. :slightly_smiling_face: I don’t have a lot of experiences with synth but I don’t like the envelope all that much, they seem great for pads but I struggle to get a nice plucky sounds (when it’s super easy on my 0-Coast), probably something to do with the curve of the decay/release?

If there is a setting to modify the envelope snappiness, surely it must be in the manual?

The trick I used on the MKS-70 was to use the key tracking to speed it up.

So set the envelope keytrack to its highest setting. This means higher notes played on keys will have more envelope modulation.

Now, to offset having to play your notes so high to take advantage of that, tune both oscs as low as they can go.

I’ve made acid with the MKS-70 using this workaround.

4 Likes

Nothing specifically for envelope snappiness, but there is a setting to expand filter cutoff, resonance and VCF Envelope, which could help?

2 Likes

Nice! I look forward to some comparisons from a YouTuber to hear how this affects the sound. Maybe there’s a way to make it sound a little less tame than the original.

It also has three different filter types. I’ve not tried them yet though. It doesn’t state what they are, but it could adjust the curve (although it would probably state that if it were the case).

2 Likes

I saw a setting called Cndi in the part settings that adds drift(?) on the JX-08 I think. Mine didn’t arrive yet so I don’t exactly know what it does but can someone try that setting and maybe send a demo here?
It’s the 4th one here
https://static.roland.com/manuals/jx-08_reference/eng/17811690.html

1 Like

If you’re only using Part A, maybe you can copy the exact envlopes on Part B but use it as a sub osc?

I don’t know if you’re able to mix the volume between Part A and B but it should be fine if you’re recording with seperate tracks in your daw.

Yes that’s what I’ve been doing. You have to save the entire patch to each part, and then set up an Osc as the sub. The only thing with this is that you can’t control the cutoff of both parts together.

It would be nice if they added the ability to control parameters of both parts together while in dual mode (unless I’ve missed this option).

Yes you can control the volume and pan of each part, which is nice.

oof, that kinda sucks, but if maybe you can try to set a fader on a midi controller to control both at the same time. I think it’d take a lot from the “hands on” experience of the synth but I think it’s the only way

this (along with the per part pan setting) is exactly the kind of information I was hoping to NOT learn.
Swear I am going to impulse buy this thing one day, purely emotional, after a bad day at work. I don’t need another synth but it tugs the heart strings of my time with the MKS-70 + programmer.

6 Likes

From an external midi controller it’s easy, you just set each part to the same midi channel and then you can control both with the same knob. I’ve been doing this with my Keystep 37.

One thing I read in the manual that may be of interest to some is that you can connect a midi controller to the new boutiques directly with USB (there is a setting for this). I don’t think that possible with the older boutiques. I’m guessing this is due to the USB-C port.

4 Likes

I’ve had the JX-08 for about a week now (thanks to @f_omega for pointing me to ZZounds!). I haven’t had time yet for a deep dive but some surface level impressions:

Cons: On the first few runs I had some odd behavior on the DCO1 mixer slider; the sound would cut in and out, then eventually fade after a few seconds. Seems to have corrected itself after a few days but still made me a little wary. Vexing that they don’t have Chord Mode or Hold functionality on this thing, especially since there’s a bit of real estate for them. Quite a few of the patches are really quiet even after adjusting the VCA level but I hear that’s common on these boutiques (I only have a JU-06A to compare). Manual is online only, which will be forever lame to me.

Pros: Sounds ridiculously good - I can’t emphasize this enough. I sold a Micromonsta 2 to fund this purchase - the MM2 is fantastic but the UI just didn’t click with me and had a harsh, inescapable “digital”-ness that wasn’t pleasing to my ears. So far the JX-08 suits my bitimbral needs perfectly and I love how easy it is to switch between dual and split modes, and assign MIDI channels to each of the two tones in seconds. Just to echo what’s been said before: the pads are really this thing’s bread-and-butter, particularly the brass pads - absolutely lovely. Filter behavior is smooth and creamy, quite different from the edgy, rawer filter on the JU-06A. Not detecting a whole lot of snappiness in the envelopes so far. The arpeggiator is almost worth the price of admission alone. Only scratched the surface of the effects here but it’s mind-boggling how many parameters are available for each one. The reverb sounds a bit cold initially but need more time to explore that as well. Haven’t touched the sequencer yet; I’ve been sequencing this from the DT.

Overall, this one’s gonna be a keeper, I think.

6 Likes

Definately, it sucks that they didn’t include a hands on arp type too, with all that empty space. If they moved every slider a little bit higher they could add an extra few buttons/switches to every section and make this even more hands on. Other than these cons I think I’m going to enjoy a lot of it, can’t wait for mine to arrive.

2 Likes

I hate to quote myself but I only went and ordered one (saw a good deal and couldn’t resist). Should arrive tomorrow.

2 Likes

Argh these still haven’t hit Australia yet :frowning:

2 Likes