Roland JX-08 & JD-08

The Jd08 came in today. This thing has a LOT going on. The jx08 was way easier for me to get goin with. I love how this thing looks, but the fader size is a bit of an inconvenience.

Excited to explore it, but it’s overwhelming.

5 Likes

Looking forward to some non-preset sound samples soon! :crossed_fingers::pray:

I’m really pleased with the JD-08. It’s really fun coming up with your own patches, really versatile and sounds great. I wasn’t sure I’d like it because of the small sliders but they’re really not an issue. I think because they have a nice resistance and a decent grippy cap it makes them easy to use. Definitely a keeper!

9 Likes

My first jam with the JX-08 if anyone’s interested in hearing some softer sounds from it :

I start playing with the filter and resonance around the 1:20 mark. This is just a factory preset I tweaked a little but I really like that more subdued side of the JX. Can’t wait to create my own patches<3

12 Likes

JD-08 has a random feature, per tone, which is neat for a machine like this. I was using it last night and didn’t realize it was per tone until reading the manual.

What’s with the online only reference manual anyways? Perhaps more features to come and they’d prefer not to commit to a pdf yet…I’d love a parameter catch mode like the System 8 and many other modern synths.

What does it randomize you mean?

Replaces the currently selected tone with a random tone.

1 Like

Yeah the online manual is weird and annoying. Also some of the features are not described in there I believe, like what does the “Manual” LED above the Page/Tie button mean? Sometimes when I do weird key combinations it seems to switch into some “Manual” mode where the LED stays on but I don’t know what it means, lol.

1 Like

If it’s anything like the Manual button on the Juno-60, then it possibly means that the synth parameters are set to the current knob and slider positions.

1 Like

That’s what I had assumed as well but it’s not in the manual!

1 Like

Ohhhh, thanks a lot for the insight, that makes a lot of sense and seems like an interesting feature!

1 Like

Random as in, randomly selected from a list of presets, or truly randomized parameters? The latter is potentially amazing if it’s within “musical” boundaries similar to the random tone generator of the MC-101.

1 Like

this gets me interested in the jd for the first time, since the feature is really great in the mc101

1 Like

It randomizes the parameters of the selected tone. I’m unfamiliar with how it works on the mc101 but on the JD-08, it’s a one button click to perform. On the Virus TI2, you can change the scope of the random which would be very cool on the JD!

1 Like

Sunshine Jones got his JX-08 and has posted a few times. I believe he is working on a new user manual as well.

1 Like

Do you know of the JX-08 had this too? That would be amazing.

I couldn’t find this in the manual…I must be overlooking it. What button combo is used to generate the random tone? This sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing.

All the parameters are randomised. I personally thought it wasn’t much use as most of the tones it created either couldn’t be heard or had such crazy LFO settings they were unusable in any musical context.

I don’t think the JX-08 has the randomise feature. I’ll check again though.

2 Likes

As Roland reach the 90s with their Boutique range, I become more interested. The JD-08 sounds lovely but I’m gagging for the inevitable JP8000 Boutique. A JV1080 would be greatly appreciated too.

3 Likes

1080 or 2080 I’d grab in a heartbeat!

1 Like