Roland JX-08 & JD-08

oh dear, available for 6 payments of $66.66
Devilish in numbers and also in getting me off the No New Gear 2022 fence. :grimacing:

5 Likes

But surely we know how to react to such vile, evil temptation? :slight_smile:

1 Like

ā€œGet thee behind me, Roland!ā€

4 Likes

Sonicstate Review

3 Likes

Iā€™m interested in picking up a JD-08 but Iā€™ve already got an MC-707. Anyone know if the 707 already has the same PCM samples and capability to recreate JD-800 patches already?

1 Like

Finally, an actual review.
I think Im in the ā€˜just not into those sorts of soundsā€™ group.

I hope Nick gets his hands on the JX08 soon.

2 Likes

No the JD architecture is unique, although the standard Zenology architecture is similar in terms of 4 layers it actually differs quite a bit too, the JD has unique 8 stage envelopes, unique samples and the filter is the standout difference in the way it saturates. Not to say you canā€™t get into the same ballpark, Zenology is far more capable in most ways, but the JD model is unique.

Maybe one day theyā€™ll update the 707 so it can load the zencore Models though like some of their other hardware.

2 Likes

Gotta imagine not being able to import presets made for the hardware JD-800 is a bummer for those who have longed for the JD for decades.

During that time period - early to mid 1990s - I was mildly interested in the JD, but was lusting harder for the Yamaha VL-1 and SY-99.

1 Like

The bass sounds great

1 Like

The filter sounds quite nice!

1 Like

I just got the JX and itā€™s really sweet and packed with features<3

3 Likes

How are the envelopes? JX-10/8P weā€™re known for their ā€œslowā€ envelopes. I wonder to what extent Roland modeled that in the JX-08.

There is a trick to speeding them up by cranking the env key track and then tuning the OSCs ultra low. But I liked the slow envelopes for pads and dreamy chords. Itā€™s nice to have both options.

1 Like

Just got word from Sweetwater in USA that my JD-08 is shipping today or tomorrow. I ordered the morning it was announced.

2 Likes

Great sounds there.

Weā€™re a step closer to peeps posting JX-08 sounds that they created themselves - even if itā€™s just changing a factory preset by moving filter cutoff to a different spot. :wink

Too many factory-preset videos now. Every time I find a video thatā€™s just another factory preset walkthrough I click the Dislike button and move on.

1 Like

I havenā€™t dealt with Zzounds since 2009 - apparently they are still stuck in the past. Some issue with my order that they wouldnā€™t / couldnā€™t resolve without me calling them. (Iā€™m currently not living in the states so donā€™t want to do an expensive phone call for someting that could easily be handled by e-mail).

Whatever the reason may be I find it quite shocking that they canā€™t resolve it through digital means of communication :grimacing:

Ouchā€¦that really sucks. Iā€™ve only ordered 2 things from them. The JX-08 came in about 4 days later. Been loving it so far.

Really enjoying the JX-08. Wish it had a sub oscillator though. Just ordered the JD-08 to try. How is everyone liking the smaller faders?

TBH neither of these vintage synths were something I ever lusted after, but I do like the idea of these little, but fully featured synths, that I can swap out on my desktop.

1 Like

Crickets, eh?

Perhaps the most complained about feature of the JX-8p/10 for decades. And I canā€™t seem to find anyone discussing it regarding the boutique, anywhere.

1 Like

Nick Batt will provide. Eventually.
In Batt we trust.

1 Like

I think there is an option in the menu to extend the original range of some functions, that probably includes the envelopes. :slightly_smiling_face: I donā€™t have a lot of experiences with synth but I donā€™t like the envelope all that much, they seem great for pads but I struggle to get a nice plucky sounds (when itā€™s super easy on my 0-Coast), probably something to do with the curve of the decay/release?