Roland Boutique D-05 Linear Synthesizer

Now there`s an idea - DCB plugouts! This might very well become a product, who knows…

Has anyone ever created a good VST/AU plugin that emulates the pecularities (memory constraints, low bandwidth, aliasing, lowish bit-depth, rounding errors due to integer math, etc.) of these early rompler and digital hybrids?

A bit like Diva, but for late 80s, early 90s digital synths.

I know I can subscribe to Roland Cloud to get the D-50 plugin, but I’ve tried it and found that Roland just really sucks at software; Roland Cloud is as much a mess as Adobe’s trainwreck of a subscription service, the plugins are buggy and extremely resource-intensive, and the user interface and usability of their plugins is a bad joke.

1 Like

Roland sound canvas maybe?
https://www.roland.com/global/products/sound_canvas_va/
Get your Rei Harakami on https://youtu.be/yplw0YOleGY

3 Likes

Could someone pls take all those attack portion samples and make samples chains for OT or Blofeld sample banks?!

Ok, mine finally arrived. I guess @Old_Artsutanov got bored and dropped it off at my place.

It has actually surprised me with how strongly the inherent sound evokes that particular late '80s/ early '90s digital vibe. Kind of crusty and sparkly at the same time, if that makes any kind of sense. Loads of character. Immediately got on with it in a way I didn’t with the Blofeld, for example.

I like what they’ve done with the sequencer implementation as well.

2 Likes

Just ordered one myself. Was meant to use the money to pay off a small debt, but had this feeling that if I didn’t get one now I never will.

The first synth I ever owned was a Wavestation EX. And that massively influenced the music I made and enjoyed. My love of digital/Rompler pad sounds has never diminished, but in the last 20 years I didn’t have a convenient/stress free way to access those types of sounds. I feel like i’ve Come full circle, and watching those Legowelt videos has me all dewy eyed. Roll on Monday.

3 Likes

Can anyone explain how the reverb memories work in the D-05/D-50? I find it a bit confusing. It doesn’t appear there’s any way to edit the reverb parameters (besides dry/wet), but different presets can be chosen. There’s also the ability to save the different presets to different locations. I don’t understand the point of this if there is no way to change any of the parameters for the different presets.

Yeah, the reverb types are predetermined as presets, on the D-50 there was an optional sound library card with 32 reverb types, 16 of which you could copy to the D-50’s internal memory. So when you choose the reverb type for a patch you are choosing from the 16 internal presets, but you can replace those presets with ‘external’ ones. I think.

I need to poke around with it a bit though, I’ve not really explored exactly how they’ve implemented that on the D-05.

1 Like

Ah, that makes much more sense now.

They can be edited with editor software or apps. Some pretty cool ones I seen, even a dimension d emulation for chorus. 32 reverbs are there, and you can eidit a little beyond just mix balance I believe.

1 Like

“Dimension” is one of the preset chorus types IIRC.

so, with all ext card content already onboard the D-05, all those reverbs are on the unit already, right?

i’ve not got past the legowelt patches yet…

1 Like

how many locations are there for addition patches?

8 x 64 user patches I think

1 Like

Thanks.

Yes, like I stated above there is a dimension preset for the chorus. Of all the names of the presets it stuck out and I thought worth mentioning as none of the other names of the effects I recognized. Well the space preset for reverb but it’s not the same what so ever as the eventide…

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it’s actually 6 x 64 user patches. In any case, a very adequate amount unlike only 16 found on the JX-03 or most of the Volca range.

6x64 presets and 8x64 user patches

2 Likes

Wunderbar!

Thanks again.

2 Likes