Roland Boutique D-05 Linear Synthesizer

Sorry - I misread what you wrote. I thought you meant you had seen someone independently edit a chorus preset with the intention of recreating the Dimension D.

1 Like

All good, I wrote it confusing. Iā€™ll admit.

1 Like

Has anyone had luck making program changes on the D-05 using the Digitakt? For some reason itā€™s not working for me. It works just fine when I plug in my JX-03 though. I checked all the settings on the D-05 as well as I could. I donā€™t know what Iā€™m missing.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve figured out that program changes do work when using the DT for changing programs with whatever bank is selected on the D-05, but if you try to use the DT for changing the bank selected on the D-05, the D-05 will totally stop accepting any program changes unless you turn it off, and back on again.

I donā€™t know if this is due to a bug in the D-05, or a bug causing the DT to send some sort of weird signal to mess up the D-05. Itā€™d be nice to be able to change banks using the DT, but itā€™s going to have to be done manually until things get sorted.

2 Likes

The MIDI implementation chart for the D-05 given in its Parameter Guide document shows that the D-05 requires both halves of the MIDI standard Bank Select message.

Unfortunately, the DT (like the OT) only implements one half of the MIDI Bank Select, so it will not provide this function for many synths from Roland, Clavia, DSI, Novation, Waldorf etc.

This method of implementation appears to be a design decision rather than a bug. If you would like it changed, send a feature request to Elektron.

The very fiddly workaround is to send CC messages 0 then 32 with the appropriate values immediately before a Program Change message.

4 Likes

Thanks. I was having a little difficulty deciphering some of the midi implementation; they even use hexadecimal notation lol. Iā€™ll try out that fiddly workaround sometime; could be very useful in certain situations.

1 Like

Peter,
Would you (or anyone reading this) know if itā€™s possible to control D-05 parameters by setting the midi control CC knobs in the Octatrack? I hit [Function] and the corresponding knob to try to get the octatrack to listen for incoming CCs, but the only one it seems to read is from the mod ribbon on the D-05. And Iā€™ve tried to manually set the CC knobs on the octatrack to their corresponding values in the D-05 manual, but the only one that works is for portamento. Ideally, Iā€™d like to control the filter cutoff and resonance from the Octatrack, but I canā€™t seem to get the unit to do that. I hope Iā€™m conveying this clearly. Thanks.

According to the MIDI Inplementation details listed by Roland in the ā€œParameter Guideā€ document for the D-05, the only MIDI CC messages that the D-05 responds to are:
Bank Select
Mod Wheel (CC 1)
Portamento time (CC 5)
Data Entry
Volume (CC 7)
Sustain (CC 64)
Portamento (CC 65) and
RPN for pitch bend range and fine tuning

Sound parameter values can be transmitted to the D-05 by SysEx messages, but the OT cannot send Roland SysEx messages.

1 Like

thanks for the answer, man. much appreciated.

1 Like

Anyone using a software editor with their D05?
Hoping to find something simple that works on Mac. So far I have been looking at bread and butter sounds and CTRLR

Ctrlr is what Iā€™ve used so far. I would love a PG-1000 but prices are more than I paid for the synth.

1 Like

Hey, that looks pretty cool. I think I would prefer sliders but I appreciate the form factor.

1 Like

Are these out yet? I tried looking for them yesterday but couldnā€™t find much info

Does CTRLR work on Mac?

Yes. There are a couple of D-50 / D-05 panels that I found for it (though they look the same, donā€™t know if thereā€™s a difference or not).

I prefer the look of CTRLR as opposed to the Bread & Butter one. I think Iā€™m going to try it. Are you finding it quick and easy to save patches ? and can you save them directly to the D05 or do you have to save them using the D05 itself?

I emailed them yesterday, will let you know if I hear anything back

1 Like

Iā€™ve not gone deep with it yet but itā€™s worked fine for me so far.

You canā€™t make the D-05 save it using Ctrlr, I donā€™t think - you can save a patch locally as a Ctrlr patch, so you can recall it, and then send it as a ā€˜snapshotā€™ to the D-05. Once you have the patch as you like it on the D-05 you need to save it on the machine if you want it recallable on there. I think.

1 Like

The plan is to edit and save patches, then untether it for stand alone use with other hardware. I really need something thatā€™s quick and simple!