Roland Boutique D-05 Linear Synthesizer

Oh man! I been hunting for an M1REX since I bought an M1, some of those PCMs on the EX model are killer and the thought of investing into the cards is scary. Now I only have a lowly wavestation SR to give me those plinky sounds…

I bet the D-05 can fill the void too! If one has grown up listening to classic D-tech ala UR etc, you know what those sounds will do when combined with a more “traditional” synth & drum machine rig.

Its kinda ironic that when me and my pals originally started making music in the 90s, all we had was this M1/D-50 sounding stuff… and we thought it sounded rubbish, craved for stuff like the volcas… And now when I got all the stuff I wanted back then (and more!), I finally find myself craving those “rubbish keyboards” back :nyan:

2 Likes

Thank you, that looks neat. Not as good as a hardware unit but much better than nothing.

i had the regular m1 rom on my ex forever because i was having difficulty finding proper one. Interestingly the rom for the m1rex is basically the same as one of the korg t models, the t1 or t3. might be an avenue to check out if you cannot find a m1rex. I do have a kawai k4 which is a rather adept wavetable synth.

It’s amazing how synths can sound dated at one point and then be reintroduced later and sound fresh. I think though it has to do more with the mentality toward synthesis rather than the actual synths themselves. how musicians approach synthesis is entirely different, at the time of the d-50 and m1 it was all about digitally emulating instruments no matter how bad those emulations sounded. I think the instrument emulation phase has ended and there is more of a focus on pure sound design.

6 Likes

Think you’ve hit the nail on the head there!

Exactly.
I prefer electronic music a lot more now that it has gone from figurative to abstract :smile:

2 Likes

the D-50 is extremely capable of making far out and juicy sounds, it’s just that when everyone was making presets back then, they were all trying to emulate the stuff they already heard before. (edit: haha i didn’t read what jefones just wrote)

Heh, yeah, exactly. I like the contrast between the Roland videos that are kind of celebrating these cheesy old presets and then Legowelt creating his “esoteric” / “exotic” (his words) stuff, which is way more interesting and relevant.

Apparently my D-05 should be here in a few days. :happy:

2 Likes

This arrived today. Ok, I love this thing. I’ve never owned a D-50 before, but this is so interesting to me. I’m also enjoying editing it with its menu system because I’m odd; it feels like using a Linux terminal to me.

I love the reverb, chorus, and filter. What an interesting filter. This will be fun to tinker with no doubt.

8 Likes

Tomorrow for me; I am not a roland person @ all but this and the Sh o1A are must haves.

1 Like

Mine hasn’t arrived yet. :dismayed:

this is really an interesting subject.

Anyone figured out if and how you can transpose the K-25m keyboard when you’re using it with the D-05?

That’s because i waited outside your flat & intercepted it :crazy_face:

1 Like

NNNNOOOOOOoooooooooo…

I’ll be busking with it later, at Westfield.

Well I’m taking my son to the cinema so if I hear Orinoco Flow coming from somewhere I’ll come and pick it up off you. :wink:

4 Likes

Deal.

Strangely drawn to this despite the fact it’s preset sounds trouble me greatly - every bad movie score from the late 80s, is that a thing now?

Stranger things have happened…

3 Likes

Kind hope there new digital recreations get something along the lines of the system 1m, plug out for different synths and some patch points for some new weirdness.

1 Like