Richard Devine sound & gear

Not mine, spotted this on Twitter from @RichardDevine

This is about as far as I get in the realm of modular…

3 Likes

Great, now i have to order even more modules, otherwise the GAS is killing me.
:wink:

No seriously, Devine’s setup is awesome, the only one who could top this is probably Dead Mouse.
I wouldn’t be able to make music with so many gear. It would take hours for me, just to choose the right oscillator.

2 Likes

I don‘t know, a wall of gear like this is not inviting to me. Looks too intimidating.
I prefer the look of a 6U or a nice pair of elektrons :slightly_smiling_face:

13 Likes

yeah, for me the best cure for GAS over the ‘wall of eurorack’ is to try to actually use it for something musical.

5 Likes

Actually I have no idea who he is or what kind of music he’s making, l just find the image appealing, it’s like Jackson Pollock was snorting Unicorn dandruff or something.

1 Like

I’m more interested to hear what the great man can do with that Waldorf Quantum in the corner?
Still haven’t heard a good demo of that thing yet

Take the time to listen to his last album, it’s full of sounds.

1 Like

(I took the liberty to take this conversation out of “your most beautiful instrument” thread as it was going elsewhere than the initial topic).

2 Likes

…which isnt even patched in because its too clean… :joy::joy::joy:

I can always spot the system 1m in his rack :sweat_smile: I think there are usually 2 of them. Anyone with a system 1m is a green slime brother/sister with me :slight_smile:

1 Like

The last two soft synths I bought have RD patches. Dude seems to do patches for everyone these days. Sharp guy and really gifted.
I’m assuming he gets a lot of that gear for free, just for who he is. Heck, I’ve gotten tons of gear for free and I’m nowhere near that level!

I bought Richards TI Snow years ago.
Had some crazy patches in it :loopy:

3 Likes

Guaranteed he doesn’t pay a cent.
Every euro manufacturer will pay to see RD with their module in his rack :moneybag:
It must be tough :grin:

1 Like

His rig has lots of lights, but his new album didn’t engage me.Perhaps I need to give it another listen .
I’m not too interested in the details of his rig … I just assume it’s full of interesting things and new modules … none of which I plan to buy .

Ultimately it’s the album content that matters to me , nice melodies / tunes can come out of a Casio vl tone , often drenched in reverb. I’m less inclined / engaged in slowly evolving sound scape/blips at the moment.

1 Like

The emerging thing of ‘influencers’ is one if the more depressing sides of the internet.

I keep reading about regulations / requirements / declarations about being open about why an item features on a post , but rarely see them , though I guess it’s more about fashion / clothing and teenagers .
#advert #offtopic

He did make the more interesting sounds on the modx recently.

2 Likes

Endorsement of product has been going on forever.
Look at sportsman as the extreme example. They get paid squillions for wearing a brand of shoe
Speaking of RD I remember him talking up the Behringer Deepmind, of all products, at pre-release before anyone had seen it, explaining it was like nothing he had seen or heard before :loopy:
It’s a business and famous people will say or do anything when that bag of cash is big enough.
You can’t blaim em I guess

I don’t get as many freebies as I once did. Mostly heavy discounts on gear, but I do actually use all the gear that I have active endorsements with. It can be a nice thing. I wouldn’t play a shitty bass just because I got it for free. I have plenty that are paid for, so I’d rather play those.
don’t know enough about RD to judge his motives, but good on him if he can get paid in the music biz. It ain’t easy

3 Likes

way off topic
sure , its been done for years but there is apparently some standards/guidelines that should be followed … just making things a little more transparent.

its mostly geared towards instagram/youtube kids who claim product X is amazing (leading to lots of sheeple rushing out to buy it) … but they’re supposed to mention its an advert / theyve been given $$$$ to endorse it , given a free holiday , given free things …
this type of stuff is being well organised , they’ll get 100’s of influencers to endorse a product at a specific time of day … its a cheap form of advertising that can get around lots of normal restrictions… leading to products selling out in 1 day with a much cheaper marketing campaign that going near tv/print.

why anyone would purchase something because a celeb has endorsed it (who’s obviously been paid to endorse it) i’m not sure , at least RD is respected in synth circles and typically discusses/shows synth products … he’s not a singer endorsing perfume / shampoo .

way off topic … some personal standards / morals/ ethics/ transparency would gain more respect from me that pointing out ‘hey i got this new box , isnt it great’ … ker ching…

this isn’t aimed at RD specifically , just the growing online marketing culture in general… i know its just part of what people need to do (sell cd’s , sell tshirts , gig , dj sets , sell sound packs / sample sets , use any online media to create additional revenue )…

1 Like

Yeah strange I’ve never seen RD playing a Deepmind since :grin:
RD deserves everything he has, and is who he is due to being an absolute synthesis genius, and is constantly pushing sound design to the next level.
We need more people like that in the world no doubt

4 Likes

I still don’t understand how he makes a living off of just being an “influencer.” these module companies aren’t exactly flush with spare cash.