Restrictions are for the dreamless

Right? To me it feels a little like the previous machines, like the silver boxes, the Analog line and the vanilla DN have set the bar so high that disappointment is somewhat inevitable.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s where youā€™re wrong. It is verifiable fact handed down from the Ancient Gods of above on their golden slabs of truth

true that.

the m:s is quite expensive for what it is given its competition, and the dk is an unusual design. I see them as risky releases. tho I donā€™t know $h1t :smile:

[edit: given it shares the same OS as the DN id wager it isnā€™t such a costly release as it could have been if it needed a whole new one, so as has been mentioned maybe itā€™s to catch a market that the DN had just missed out on. but I canā€™t see many of my keyboard playing mates wanting this over a moog or dsi or somethin] :slight_smile:

I dunno - the Digitone has been a real success as far as I can tell - can totally see the merit in trying to reach those who are yet to buy one, with a Keyboard option. Imagine this will sell well - there are a lot of players whoā€™ll welcome the keys.

1 Like

Here is a Digitone Keys video where the keyboard is not played. Brilliant.

4 Likes

I think most keyboard players will want more than 37 keys on an 8 voice poly.

1 Like

maybe, and Iā€™m not grouping myself in with this - I have and love my Digitone, and the update looks great. I can see the appeal of the Keys though.

so theyā€™ve turned into Apple? where if they donā€™t release a ā€œthis changes everything!ā€ level product every year, people are disappointed? or, at least, people here are.

I will say I find it odd that they made another keyed version of an existing module. the SFX6 was limited to 500 units and I think it took them the better part of a decade to sell all of them. similarly, the Analog Keys doesnā€™t seem to have fared much better. they must really be selling a lot of DNā€™s and have gotten a lot of feedback from users that would like a dedicated keyboard interface, to have taken this leap.

1 Like

thatā€™s why iā€™ve posted it :wink:

Stack it with a midi kb. Two hand that shit.

Even though Iā€™ve been thinking about getting a keeb for ages to pair with my DN, I probably would have bought a DKN if it looked ergonomic to use. I would be constantly moving left and right to use it all! This could have been a 45deg panel above the keys a la Moog etc to make it all accessible and stuff. But I guess that doesnā€™t fit the ā€˜flat boxā€™ Elektron aesthetic.

Was there a picture of a DT keys as well a few hundred posts upā€¦? Curiouserā€¦

The new OS is great :heart_eyes:
Portomento sounds AWESOME and really enhances the DN. Really pleased with all the new recall features too.

5 Likes

I like it, but then, Iā€™m not terribly nit-picky. It looks like it makes the things that I thought were buried a bit more than Iā€™d like quite accessible though, which is cool. Itā€™s also nice to have that little keyboard over there to tap in chords and things. Iā€™m of two minds on the keyboard setup. On one hand, a nice 49-61 key setup with the controls overhead would be nice for playing it as a basic synth. However, this is an Elektron device. Itā€™s more than just a regular keyboard synth. Itā€™s nice to have the keys to bring out the chords, arps, mapped items, but itā€™s still an 8-voice, heavily sequenced system. Now itā€™s just easier to do all that, and a lot more expressive. Elektron doesnā€™t really make keyboard-player keyboard synths. Even the AK isnā€™t QUITE that, though itā€™s a lot closer.

I think this thing is pretty cool. I may even need one.

3 Likes

uh it has a sequencer so yes it is

1 Like

If I were starting from scratch, I would have loved this. Itā€™s shallow and gives a good controller. I have tried to avoid keyboard instruments due to space constraints and this would have been a nice package for me when I started earlier this year.

I will say that Iā€™m grateful for the update to the DN-I think there are some new features with MIDI control that they could have simply said were for the DK only.

Please read the clarifications before posting an ā€œuhā€ post.

You couldnā€™t use the Digitone keyboard or external keyboard and HAVE PLAYED two sounds simultaneously with separate rhythms (layering doesnā€™t count). With multimapping that was literally added today, now you can with MIDI.

What I meant was keyboard split multitimbrality, not playing multiple sounds on separate tracks.

1 Like

Restrictions are for the Digitone users? :content:

4 Likes

Iā€™d wager the design they went with reduced R&D costs/time by a huge amount, having essentially a 1:1 DN in the middle, rather than having to deconstruct its innards & relocate everything in a different manner for a more standard shaped synth w/keyboard.

2 Likes

Begs the question how heavy this thing is and how the weight is distributed :thinking: