Recording MiDi to the digitakt

How do i record midi to the digi? It sends out midi just fine but i want to be able to input as well. Is there a menu setting i am missing? Thanks

1 Like

In the midi setup make sure receive notes is checked. Also the auto channel for the DT is 14 so make sure your controller is set to send on that channel.

6 Likes

It’s impossible to record a midi sequence from the chromatic keyboard, right? Or from a midi keyboard? Like live record what you play. Talking about the midi sequence, not the audio. I’d like to press record, play something on a keyboard, and then it’s there for me to try it with several synths etc but haven’t been able to yet…

3 Likes

To live record hold Record and press Play. This works both with the chromatic keyboard and the MIDI input

1 Like

that’s weird I tried a few times and didn’t success. I’ll try again, thank you.

1 Like

Auto channel is your friend.

If it’s not working to record into a midi track make sure:

1. Your midi keyboard is sending note data on the auto channel (default is 14)

2. You have the midi track on the Digitakt selected.

Still not working? Check your port config and channels in the Digitakt settings.

5 Likes

thanks a lot man

1 Like

Hello @L4rs3rik @hwlf @particlesintowaves !
I’m trying to write MIDI notes from ableton to digitakt, and I still can’t figure out how.
I’ve already checked everything you said, and I’m trying both ways via MIDI and overbridge,
and both of them at the same time.

on digitakt: i’m on the midi A (track 9), it is active. the settings are:

system:
overbridge checked (also tried just MIDI, cause I have it plugged in)

port config:
input from MIDI + USB
receive notes - checked

channels:
auto channel: 14

overbridge is running
in ableton i have this:

I’ve tried both outputs (MIDI pro 14 and elektron digitakt)

And I can hear drums and snares, if I’m sending chanels 1-8, but if I change to 9 (midi A), it’s just quite. And no notes coming from ableton. (pressed rec and play, no results)

Can somebody please help, I’m suffering.

Andruha, did you set correct midi chanel on Digitakt?

@stankeev
which is correct ? or where ?
auto channel is set to 14

Overbridge doesn’t allow recording notes into the sequencer right now not sure why
So you have to send it via old way midi… so you have to send midi to the device not the plugin,
Which it seems you are doing

The one on the right Under where you have chosen digitakt you need to set it to channel 14 so it goes to your auto channel…

If you are sending midi to the midi tracks you won’t hear anything,
the midi track is for sending midi to other things

1 Like

No, I’m sending midi from Ableton to Digitakt, for sure.
On the last (bottom) screen – left part “MIDI to” is Pro14 (MIDI) – is sending notes from my sound card by MIDI cable. At least I can hear sounds on digitakt on channels 1-9.

The right one (Elektron Digitakt) is only available via Overbridge.

Both ways are working fine, until I’m trying to write notes.

Yes, I know. Digitakt is connected with MIDI out to another synth, so it should play.

UPD
I’ve just tryed it and it works! Thank you!

Ableton MIDI OUT > digitakt MIDI IN >
digitakt MIDI OUT > roland sh-01 MIDI IN

I can hear notes on my roland.

But i still can’t record them to digitakt MIDI track. Is it impossible at the moment ?

UPD2

ok it works now,
my tracks on digitakt were muted.
:neutral_face:

thanks everybody!

1 Like

Hello nice to hear that your problem was solved. I have a quiet similar problem …I would be so happy if you guys could give me some help if either I have not the right things selected in ableton / digitakt or its not possible what I want… For the sake of simplicity here the schema how I would like to connect:

use keyboard midi USB with ableton to play a instrument rack :white_check_mark:
use Digitakt Knobs to change instrument’s stats :white_check_mark:
listen over headphones the instrument played by keyboard midi USB :white_check_mark:
chromatic recording of instrument sounds when pressing digitakt :white_check_mark:
chromatic recording of instrument sounds when played by keybaord midi USB :x:

If someone could help answer if this is possible to accomplish with the Digitakt. I am sequencing my Virus TI hardware synth in mulit-mode. I would like be able to live record automation of my sequence while I tweak the knobs on the virus so it plays back when. That way I don’t have to sit there and live tweak all the time. Is this possible? I never have really used the record+play function so I’m not aware of its possibility. I have read that you can record notes played from a keyboard using this method but not found anything about hitting record tweaking knobs and having it play back as you tweaked.

I have both, but I tried with Digitone which was close to the TI. Their midi sequencers seems identical.

If you set some CCs on the DT, you can record them in Live Recording (hold rec+play), by turning DT knobs. That works for sure.

I couldn’t record TI knobs movements, maybe I missed something. I tried with midi track’s channel and Auto Channel from the TI, and I set the corresponding CC on the DN.

Edit :

Apparently not fixed…

for instance right now i’m trying to record CC #63 from my virus to the Digitakt that is for the Amp/Env Release knob. When trying to assign a soft knob on the Digitakt to this value… I cant seem to find CC 63 to assign it. I’m rather new to this implementation as I don’t normally try advanced things like this so im lost. From what you are saying I would need to assign all six soft knobs on the Digitakt to match the CC values of the virus knobs I would like to tweak most. From there It may only be possible to live record by (hold rec+play) by turning the DT knobs. Not tweaking the Virus knobs… … But wait from your confirmation from Elektron support the DT does not have capability to record CC values at all? Or just ones for mod wheeel, ptch bend and after touch… I’m only after things like cut off resonance and release things like that

8 knobs, but if you set other midi tracks on the same channel, up to 8x8 different CCs.
As I said on the other topic, check the Value below the box in Amp page.

Basically, no. Although you can record knob tweaks from an external MIDI CC source into the DT, the MIDI CC message numbers have to be the specific values given in A.8 of the DT manual. The outgoing MIDI CC data from the DT can, of course, be assigned to any MIDI CC message you want.

That’s why @sezare56 suggested that you record knob movements on the DT itself. The other alternative would be a MIDI processor to map the CCs from the Virus to those that are recorded by the DT.

Of Elektron’s instruments, only the Octatrack does what you want.

1 Like

Midi processor so its like a stand alone device that you just assign midi CC values to four output right. It has not knob of its own it just acts as an intermediary between the virus and the DT, am I understanding this correctly? If so would you have any recommendations for such a device? I’m still new to all the options and tools available for midi and CC stuff. = )