Recording MiDi to the digitakt

Yes.

Nice one!

Not me! :smile: :wink:

@ESK_quantum if youā€™re ok with a standalone static config, using always the same TI parameters, Iā€™d recommend the Event Processor Plus as midi processor, pretty simple to set up.
If you want a config with midi learn, itā€™s getting complicated.

With a computer, you can use MIDIOX, or Bome Translatorā€¦

1 Like

Once the parameters are routed to the virus correctly and I can record live tweaks from it instead of using the soft knobs on the Elektron I will be all set. Thanks for the suggestion on the Event Processor Plus. Sounds like its just what I need.

So here is an update! I didnā€™t need the midi event processor after all. I managed to get it working! Itā€™s perfect. I can now record automation from knob movements from the virus during live record onto the Octatrack. It came down to setting the Auto channel. I had to make sure that I was connected midi in and out from both machines. Somehow it just magically started working haha.

So in order to get the midi learn feature to work and to get the knobs on the Virus to record automation into the Octatrack, the Auto channel needs to be set to the midi channel of the track your trying to record on.

My only issue now is on the Octatrack say from if I switch from T5 toT6 and now I wanted to record automation on T6 would that mean I need to physically go into the settings and change the Auto channel to Track 6 from 5. So like I have to do this every time I switch to a new channel and record automation from that one? The Digitakt has an Auto channel setting called TR so whatever channel you currently on the Auto channel is automatically set to the midi channel of that track. But with Octatrack I donā€™t see this!

Is it possible to record note data from an App sequencer on your phone into the Digitakt? Midi from an iPhone through a powered Midi Thru and then into the Digitakt possibly? The sequences that Iā€™ve made on Apps like Fugue Machine are something I would like to work with on the Digitakt. Any advice would be appreciated thanks

What I want is to record the sequenced note data, which I would then send to hardware synths.

Try this tip from @sezare56, thereā€™s a few threads with some similar discussion but I think this is the only way to do it with a coordinated start and not just free-syncing the sequence start by feel.

Go to the link to see the full description. Digitakt will, of course, have to be configured to receive midi notes and your iphone will need to be configured to send. If the apps canā€™t send midi then I believe itā€™s a no go, although the long way around would be using ableton which has something that can turn recorded wav sounds (recorded note sequences) into midi notes, then play that midi data into Digitakt.

Hope thatā€™s helpful.

2 Likes

:pray: Thank you shigginpit and yes the apps send Midi and are easier to make melodies and chords on. I would just rather use my Digitakt as a master sequencer. Done some live sets with my phone as the sequencer and feel Iā€™m missing out on what the Digitakt can do.

1 Like

I hope you can now enjoy the Digitakt more than you have been, it should be very useful as a performance tool. If you havenā€™t tried Digitakt for composition purposes recently, like since the older OS, give it a shot again. Things like the folded keyboard in chromatic mode and using resample with slice machine can expand itā€™s usefulness.

Also, if you donā€™t use sound pool very often, itā€™s quite a good trick for getting more out of your 8 tracks. I donā€™t assume itā€™s not something youā€™re aware of, but I figured I would mention it since you stated you use your phone for composition. If you open a sample then enter the import export menu, you can copy the sample as a ā€œsoundā€ to the sound pool, and then that sound can be trig locked to any step on any track. With short sounds (drums etc) you can often condense several percussive instruments down to 1 or 2 tracks and that leaves a lot more room for composition on the remaining tracks.

1 Like

Yes thank you for the reminder of the folded keyboard etc. Some time away from the Digitakt can create memory cob-webs.

1 Like