Recording digitakt with overbridge in logic

Hi guys, question from a noob:

I’ve managed to make a multitrack digitakt overbridge track (every digitakt instrument track has an own track in logic). When I play every digitakt instrument (kick, snare, etc), they all give a signal in the corresponding logic track, and I can hear them.

So far, great.

When I press record however, nothing is recorded.

What am I missing?

1 Like

Hey there. In order to use OB in logic you have to use a multi-output software instrument (the digitakt au in your case) these multi-outputs are buss tracks instead of audio tracks. In logic you can not record straight in a buss. The easiest way is to create corresponding audio tracks for your digitakt outs. Then in the the audio tracks select each buss from the multi-out instrument as an input.

3 Likes

Thank you @Kyriakos!

I will try create audio tracks for each digitakt out ‘bus’.

I have two remaining questions:

1. So if I understand correctly, the digitakt out tracks/buses don’t record anything? not even midi as happens with my other external instruments/synths? is it even possible to record the midi patterns?
  2. I also have an analog heat mk2: how would this work? I managed to add the overbridge as an external effect to one of my hardware synths (external instrument), I hear it, but when recording my synth input I (obviously) record the dry signal. How to record the wet signal?

Thanks again guys, for your patience, love this forum.

The OB busses are audio auxiliaries. They work in the same way as an AUX input in an analog desk. So no midi going or getting there. If you want to record or send midi to your Digi you will have to use Logic’s environment. It is a bit of a dive in logic but there are some helpful tutorials online and if you understand the basics about how midi works it can be done in a few minutes.

About the analog heat I never had one so I do not really know how OB mode works.

That’s what it looks like in Logic Pro X. You don’t see the flashing R on each track due to the time of the snapshot. I’ve saved this as default for any DT recording since it is quite some configuration effort.

5 Likes

Thanks @zizlog !!

So just to be clear you also have a track stack with the digitakt auxes (maybe hidden)? and this is just a stack with audio tracks with the buses routed to them? thanks!

what steps did you take to get all of those separate tracks, i click software instrument and did multi timbral 8 clicked create and got 8 tracks that all play everything as a whole. And also it doesn’t play my drum sequence correctly for some reason, track 5 and 4 keep getting triggered randomly even if i mute the pads

I did a screen recording showing how to create individual DT tracks in a track stack, a track for DT Main and DT Ext. In.

I saved it as project template. I reckon importing it on your end should just work fine.

8 Likes

The audio of each individual track (Audio 1 -8) is output to Bus 1. The stack’s input is from Bus 1.
So, yes, it’s a stack with audio tracks.

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks for this man!

1 Like

@zizlog I see you use the digitakt as audio interface in your screenrecording. but what if you have another audio interface?

1 Like

You need to select the Digitakt at least as “Input source” for it to work. Where you output the sound is free of choice, so you can use another audio interface for that.

1 Like

@zizlog thanks for the walk through mate!

1 Like

@zizlog: thanks for the info: all 8 DT tracks and main out in Logic now. Is it possible to record the fx seperately as well? Edit: solved by routing all tracks to fx in DT, non to main out (except of course delay and reverb). This is awesome!

nice one! But I guess that is not working this way if you wanna record also other intruments connected to the main Audio interface - in my case RME fireface?

I reckon it won’t work due to two different audio interfaces used. I don’t know for sure. Have you tested it in the meantime?

Not certain this is what you’re asking, but MacOS and Logic support aggregate audio devices. Open Audio/MIDI app in apps/utilities, press +/add aggregate device, check your main interface and digitakt, take note of the channel order, name that aggregate device and select it in Logic.

Hi thanks for this!
However i’m not able to record midi Tracks coming from my digitone keys (i’d like to edit them before exporting audio.
Si how to create à midi track ?
Thanks for your help

Hello !
it really helps !
Can we do this with both Digitakt and Digitone at the same time? (with of course the 2 machines linked together). It’s hard to find the right way to do it.
Thanks

Hey all. Apologies for highjacking the thread, but I’ve been following along with the helpful information here and am at an impasse. Hoping to get some help that others reading might benefit from. Also, I’m sorry this is so long - just giving all the info I think the experts here might need to help.

I’m recording in Logic on a Mac computer. First time setting up Overbridge.

My goal is to record myself and a friend jamming a number of instruments, and have it broken out into individual tracks to rearrange and mix after. We were previously doing this just taking the audio into mixer, but would love to utilize Overbridge for individual track recording because we’re doing a lot of live improvising on the Digitakts,

Between us, I’d like to record up to 33 tracks at a time. Is that possible?

My current setup:

• Digitakt #1 (8 tracks via Overbridge)
  • Prophet Rev 2 (2 stereo tracks)
  • Behringer Model D (1 mono track, soon to be replaced by a Poly D w/ 2 stereo)

His:

• Digitakt #2 (8 tracks via Overbridge)
  • Behringer Model D (1 mono track)
  • All instrument audio into a Tascam Model 12 mixer/interface

I’ve just started setting this up with my setup alone last night. I created an aggregate device in my Mac midi settings, combining the Digitakt and the Model 12 interface. When he has his Digitaky here, I’m going to try to add it to the aggregate device so its made up of two DTs and my mixer interface.

It seems to be setup correctly, however playing tracks on the DT doesn’t show up where I think it will so I’m clearly doing something wrong. A lot of this is new territory for me.

My intention with the setup here was:

Logic Tracks 1-6 mono, separate tracks coming from the Tascam
Tracks 7/8 and 9/10 stereo tracks coming in from Tascam
Tracks 13-20 coming from my DT(can these be stereo tracks to utilize panning in the DT?)
Tracks 26-33 coming in from his DT.

Some screen shots of my setup:

Here’s what shows up as levels in Logic when I press track trigs on the DT:

Pressing Track 1 trig on my DT sends output to 3 dfferent tracks in Logic(labeled DT1, DT2, DT3).

Pressing Track 2 on DT sends output to DT1, DT2, DT4

Pressing Track 3 on DT sends output to DT1, DT2, DT5

Pressing Track 4 on DT sends output to DT1, DT2, DT6

Pressing Track 5 on DT sends output to DT1 and DT7

Pressing Track 6 on DT sends output to DT1, DT2, DT8

Pressing Track 7 on DT sends output to DT1 and DT2

Pressing Track 8 on DT sends output to DT1 and DT2

I know it’s a can of worms, but any help would be appreciated. And thanks to @zizlog for spending the time above to get me started.