Recording a 128 step loop

Im hoping I’m missing something here.

How do I sample a 128 step loop from an external source?

The recording length only lets you set as much as 64 or MAX.

Quantising the start of the loop is fine because of QRec but is it possible to specify an end point to the loop after 128 steps?

If you use ONE2 mode and manually stop the sampling, QREC quantises the stop point as well as start. So set length to MAX and trigger the track sampling again to stop it.

2 Likes

Which BPM?

@120bpm you can have a right amount (set in MEMORY menu) that equals to 128 steps.

I hope the memory reservations option will be more flexible in future OS updates, allowing the user to set also the number of steps, instead of seconds only

Thanks guys.

I had no idea the QRec quantised the stop point when using ONE2. Perfect!

Its a shame that this can’t be done done using the ONE setting. I wanted to be able to hit record and not have to worry about punching out.

I did think about calculating the seconds but yes, memory reservation in steps would be good.

64 Steps times the Scale Multiplier. Use Track Recorder 1 as the Reserved Memory slot, that is reallocate. Pattern Scale to Per Track and set Track 1 to 64 Steps with a Scale Multiplier 1/2 then set the Master Scale to 128 Steps and use a One Shot Recorder Trig in the Track Trig Edit menu. As soon as the One Shot Record Trig has been triggered remove the trig and place a Sample Trig in the Trigs field.

3 Likes

I hope the memory reservations option will be more flexible in future OS updates, allowing the user to set also the number of steps, instead of seconds only

Do you really think updates will coming, i see the last updates date and MnM is 2013, Machinedrum is 2011 and Octa is 2013… I seriously have doubt as Analog Line seems to took all the efforts… and i can understand that. I hope Elektron not forgot about their first gears because there are always in sales at the full price.

finger crossed

(Again, torn between reviving and old thread, and starting a new one and being told to search…)

I couldn’t grok this at all. I tried it, but, nope, didn’t work.

I guess it is manual time for me. Trying to “live record” a 64 step * 1/2, 120bpm loop from DN on OT. I get the first half of the loop only when following the advice above.

Ooops, I see someone did re-ask this in 2019 (Recording a 128 step (8 bar) loop with 1-shot Rec Trigs - #15 by pinup57) reading that thread now

Here’s how to do it.

In rec setup, set rlen to max, mode to hold, qrec to plen. Have your pattern scale be per track and master length 128. Play your pattern. When the master length wraps around (after 8 bars) you have to be holding the rec button, the one you use to start sampling. On step 1 the recording will start and you can let go of the button. Recording will stop at the moment the pattern starts again and you will have a sample of 128 steps.

5 Likes

You can record 128 steps dividing tempo by 2, and set scale to x2. Set RLEN to 64, done. Fastest to setup !
You have to set DN accordingly of course.

@LyingDalai, @avantronica (or any moderator), maybe this thread can be joined to this one ?
Recording a 128 step (8 bar) loop with 1-shot Rec Trigs - #15 by pinup57

4 Likes

Interesting method I didn’t try before !
Works well. I’m used to ONE2 mode to have free hands before recording starts though.

Do you see advantages with Hold ?

I guess not having to worry about ending the recording is good. The downside is you are tied to the master length.

I meant I already used the same method but with ONE2.

Same behavior with ONE2.
2 messages for both.
Press twice for ONE2
Press / release for HOLD

there’s at least one other thread on 8 bar loops - it may be beneficial to leave these as they are - merging might be messy and having three topics to land on with a search could be handy - the fact they are mutually linked means the info is easy to get to

maybe we’ll tidy this up if there are more topics

1 Like

This is interesting because I never did it this way, I guess I just stumbled upon the hold method. Do you mean you press twice when you “arm” the recording or does the second press come after recording has started?

This :arrow_up_small:
I think it works similarly considering timing :

To start recording (Before pattern loops)
One2 mode Press 1 = Hold mode press

To stop recording (Before pattern loops)
One 2 mode Press 2 = Hold mode release

Btw I didn’t notice or remember that Hold mode release works once you release track button, not rec button (MKI)

With a recording started by a one shot rec trig it’s different, you have to press twice in ONE2 mode to stop the recording. I can see an advantage using Hold in that case, pressing once suffice…(release just after, still 2 events).

4 Likes

Helpful thread tonight thank you!

Sam

1 Like

I am trying some of these options today. But there isn’t an option to have what I have on my normal scale patterns, where I use the Ezbot style live looping thing, with a record trig on step one of a 64 step pattern that I can arm with Track + Yes, which will then record the whole 64 steps, and then start playing the loop, seamlessly. It seems that all the ways of doing 128 steps involve more manual intervention, right?

EDIT: the hold method seems to work. But I have massive clicks at the start of the recorded loop, that I just don’t get doing regular 64 step loops with recording trigs. I have amp attack set to about 60 and I still get clicks. Ugh, OT is a frustrating beast.

Clicks can be due to hold release setttings.

1 Like

Yeah, yup. I think I am expecting the impossible here. A loop without clicks and pops when it is a big smeary reverb drenched pattern.

What’s up with the 64 or Max setting in the Rec Setup anyway? Seems entirely arbitrary. Is it worth a feature request to increase the number to 128, 256 or 1024 (for example) just to make it easier to record perfect loops longer than 64 steps without workarounds?

Edit: now that I think about it, it must be because of the 64 steps of the sequencer. Carry on :slight_smile:

1 Like