Headphones vs Ear buds for mixing

Hi everyone

My friend plays a Roland octopad and he bought a pair of 250ohm DT770’s.

He found they were a bit quiet so then bought a behringer headphone amp.

The problem is that the DT770’s don’t seem to be transparent enough. My friend will choose his sounds on the octapad and mix the levels using the headphones finds the levels to be out when it comes to playing the kit back on monitors.

The main problem is that the kicks and bass are too loud when mixing using the headphones and the treble seems a bit harsh.

I know that a lot of people here seem to use the DT770 so I’m a little perplexed…

Is this an issue with the ohms… would 32’s make a difference to the issues described above?

And being a drummer he’s a fan of earbuds for noise cancellation reasons… can anyone recommend a pair of transparent earbuds that would be suitable for this use case?

Thanks so much

Just note that earbuds are more prone to affect your hearing than regular headphones. recording sessions can spread on many hours… at high volume.
So careful, chap !

1 Like

32ohms will give you higher levels on a 12v headphone amp.
But May I suggest Sony 7506 headphones?
They are less generous in terms of sub low end and hi end. And very loud.
I find those perfect in a monitoring situation.

1 Like

Maybe a problem of monitors/monitor placement instead of headphone flatness?

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. I think I might need to clarify the current problem…

The mix sounds good on the dt770s but when we listen back on the monitors the kicks are too loud.

How long has your friend been using the DT770s? Have they spent time learning them? Are they using reference tracks when mixing with the DT770s, or are they mixing so that it sounds “good” in the cans? Perhaps the issues are more in the process and less in the hardware?

Yeah, it’s the OHMs. 250’s require big boy amperage, where a cell phone can drive 32’s ( IEM’s ) into pain for me.

I’ve got a pair of Pioneer’s ( no longer made ) and Shure 535’s. The isolation is super helpful.

There are plenty to choose from, even Amazon has some real inexpensive multi-driver models available.