Recommend a portable recorder for field use + Recording octatrack output

this is more for studio use, but an excellent choice if you want something a little higher quality to catch your final stereo channels.
http://tascam.com/product/da-3000/

2 Likes

That looks like a really cool rack unit right there. I will be keeping my eyes open for that.

Damn, guess i will try to pick one up in the future when i am travelling, really cant find any stockists in asia.

There is a h6 at my workplace that we use for video productions, and apart from not wanting to touch it for personal/hobby use, i find it really clunky and cumbersome to use.

That is really disappointing. Because, those 6 inputs would have been AWESOME. I still might get it because it fits my needs for a portable recorder for a little portable studio(Iā€™m thinking OP-1, Micro Granny, and possibly MPC 1000. 1 music, 1 textures, 1 percussion), and itā€™s only roughly 300.

Thanks for the advice, though!

Dont get me wrong, its a great product but i just cant gel with it, you should really try it out.

But i just find there is a tad too much menu diving for the simple things i want to do. It is a bit heavy and bulky too for what i have in mind.

But it is a great quality product.

1 Like

I mean, for standard field recording, Iā€™m probably going to stick with my H1 and clip on lav mic. Iā€™m nowhere NEAR production skills to actually do any Francisco Lopez stuff for that field precision.

But for a portable mini studio, I think the menu diving should be fine. Right?

Again. Thanks for your feedback

I think menu diving and button combo presses are kinda subjective, we all have love for elektron right? Lol

So i think its best you try it out for yourself, and btw it only has four inputs, if you want another 2 you have to buy the exh-6 capsule.

1 Like

True story. Ever since getting into elektron, Iā€™ve become fonder of menus. And for two extra separate inputs on the spot, I will definitely spend the extra 70 dollars. Itā€™s such a certainty that I would do that, that it might as well come with it

Zoom H4, 5 or 6. I have an H5. Simple to use.

I swear by my Tascam dr-100 mk2, itā€™s awesome. But if you find the h6 too bulky you might feel the same about the Tascam.

Not a recorder, but just wanted to mention these Lom Usi mics.

ā€œUÅ”i have exceptionally low noise and high sensitivity. They are especially useful for recording delicate sounds and environmentsā€

https://lom.audio/product/usi/

1 Like

Iā€™m looking to buy a handheld portable recorder for collecting field recordings and found sounds. What are the best options? Definitely doesnā€™t need to be stereo. Iā€™m not sure if I want to go down the kaleidoloop sort of route or the zoom route. What do people think?

depends on how much you want to spend.i brought a zoom h6 which I love. comes with 2 mics and can have another 4 mics connected

1 Like

Budget?.?.?

Tascam DR-40 is my weapon of choice

If I was buying today thisā€™d be my choice:

I swear by the Sony PCM-D50. It is excellent. AA batteries so you can carry spares. Good on board mics. I have been using mine for years. I record quiet things mostly.

That model is discontinued, but the new PCM-D100 uses SD cards, can record straight to MP3, looks gorgeousā€¦ I want it!

Money is no object but portability is key.

I now itā€™s not super portable, but is there anything similar to the kaleidoloop? I

Dear people at elektronauts.

I love the ability to load audio samples on digitakt or RYTM. Ofcourse, most demos show a synth or something like that which is connected to the audio in on the elektron gear to record a sample.

However, I would like to be able to quickly record sounds on the streets, at work, or something like that and then load/record them in to my digitakt.

Ofcourse, I could use my iphone. However, the mic kinda sucks right?

So the question: how do you guys do this? any tips on a good (affordable, but most importantly: portable) recorder for this goal?

Thanks!