Zoom h6 as audio in for OT

I am contemplating having a Zoom h6 as a audio in for the OT.

It has the 6 ins that would work for my setup, and I can assign phantom to only one port as needed (I only have 1 mic that needs phantom power).

I would use it more as a compact mixer, with assignable phantom power, but I find the Line out to be a tad ‘weak’ to have a 1/8 stereo to 2x 1/4 mono, seems like I’d loose on the quality ? (I have no idea) If it had rca to 1/4 or even 2 1/4 mono out, I’d probably just go ahead.

It would also replace my field recorder so I would use the recording function although I’m really happy with the field record I am using at the moment.

Anyone of you using the H6 as a mixer into the OT? Any other similar small mixer device people are using?

I’ve been thinking about that too. I got the idea from this forum, actually.

I remember seeing H6 mentioned in 3-5 other threads as an input to the OT, but I forgot exactly what threads.

Yeah I read a few of the thread using the H6 to record the OT 4 outs, but I didn’t catch any that were input to the OT, I’ll read more.

I tried to find the thread where H6 was mentioned as an input - the person was using the mic on the H6 to send live audio into the OT. But I can’t figure out the correct search keyword(s) to find that thread, sorry.

Which seems to work great! But have so many questions!

Oh yeah, I think this is the thread that led sezare to get an H6. I think he’s the one that mentioned using H6 mic too - but I could be wrong.

I have an OT and a H6. Couple of thoughts:

H6 only has 4 inputs stock, 2 more costs around 80 bux. The gain dials are quite fiddly, not easy to adjust on the fly. Its also a bit noisy, not a problem unless you want to record something really quiet.

You can definitely use it as a live mic, or a mixer tho. It only has a stereo out, meaning not separate outs with their own gain.

1 Like

Hum how bad is the noise? Does it happens only when you output to line out? Or the recorder itself has some noise? I was worried about noise, as I play more ambiant…

Stereo is fine as long as I can modify the input to my liking.