Recommend a portable recorder for field use + Recording octatrack output

Would appreciate some advice on getting a portable recorder, i would primarily want to use it for recording the stereo output of the octatrack and as a field recorder to gather samples.

Something small and simple would be great, i have access to a zoom h6 at work (video production) and i find it too bulky and kinda overkill.

Any suggestions?

Big fan of my Sony PCM-M10. It’s small, the batteries last forever on standby and the inbuilt omni mics sound great. Line in on stereo minijack.

I made a same topic: Portable Recorders
Zoom H5 I recommend. Stereo line in and stereo mics. Very simple recorder. Not much use outside studio so I don’t know about battery life.

Op-1

Hmmmm, coincidentally i just thought about this a few minutes, but isnt the op-1 input mono? I have never actually recorded anything straight to track, just sampled for chopping up and looping, i am gonna try it now!

Yes, check out muff wiggler on this topic
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=116178&sid=f54fa2e0bc12da3f845e3d842a3fed92

Ive head you cant record the line out from a mixer on the Zoom H5 without using -20db attenuaters… is that true?

I like the tascam tr-40 with balanced line inputs.

No problem with several mixers. Nothing needed. I set the input level to about 3. That’s what those knobs are for. You can also reduce the input level in the recorder settings.

1 Like

I picked up a Zoom H4 for ÂŁ60 a while back. Does a great job too.

1 Like

Thanks…is that using the 3.5mm stereo jack in the back or the XLR / TS jacks on the bottom?
I just heard that a line level would be far too hot for the H5 and you’d need to attenuate it down first with a special cable of sorts.

The Sony pcm-m10 looks interesting due to the size and good reviews, however it seems to have been discontinued in asia … Pity

Compared to the Zoom machines, I was very impressed with the sound Quality of the Roland R-26 field recorder. It’s a matter of taste though, so I suggest you check out some comparison videos (there is legions of them online).

No, that’s using both XLR and TS. No way it’s too hot. It’s line level.
I have no idea where you got this wrong info. You can see in the manual.

I have the Sony PCM-M10, and have been really happy with it.

I’ve read posts online with people were getting distorted audio when connecting the H4 directly to a mixer as the signal was too hot for the the mic pre’s without being padded or attenuated.

glad to hear its not as its now on my order list :wink:

I have an Edirol R-09 that I still use from time to time. It works just fine as a stereo field recorder for me, the battery life is decent and I can run line in (3.5MM) if I want to record off a mixer at a small show or jam session, etc. It’s about the size of a small cellphone and also has mic inputs. I’ve seen them for sale on Ebay for less than $100 USD.

I use the Sony PCM-M10 as well and love it for field recordings and also recording my Elektrons.

I’m wanting a zoom H6. Portable device. Up to six individual inputs. battery powered. I believe onboard effects as well. It’s either 300-400 for one of those or 1k for a Zoom f8 for 8 individual inputs and better quality for field recordings.

1 Like

For field recordings, i use the iOS mic Shure mv88 ($149 sweetwater). I connect it to my iphone 6 and it makes decent field recordings. It is very sturdy and well built. And it comes with a very sturdy and elegant case that i carry with me everywhere.

This won´t solve your ´recording the octatrack output´ issue, but i love it because i didn´t have to buy a different device, but instead bought a tool that added a functionality to my iphone.