Really easy time stretching on the Digitakt

We need ping-pong loop mode on DT to give us some smoother time stretch capabilities :smiley:

2 Likes

Exactly right. Intuitively it makes sense the LFO depth would be 60 but for some reason itā€™s half that. Also correct that thereā€™s many combinations of SPD and MULT that will work, and that it changes depending on the length of your source material. Like @Jack_69 figured out if your sample is 4 bars you need to divide the MULT by 4.

A quick tip if youā€™re doing that - you can still use just a single page of trigs by putting a ā€œ1:4ā€ trig condition on the first trig so it only resets the LFO once every 4 bars. Also putting long retriggers on each step to up the resolution helps with playback ā€œcoherenceā€ at extreme values of stretching, although in my experience more retrigs doesnā€™t always mean better timestretching.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what you mean by that, but thereā€™s lots of ways to get smoother stretching with the existing functionality. One thing I want to explore more is using multiple tracks to stretch the same sample. Layer up a couple tracks with unique p-locks / retrig resolution then resample the mix and play it back using the same method. Rinse and repeat to your heartā€™s desire! Does make you wish for stereo sampling but we canā€™t have it allā€¦

amazing i shall have a good look later this sounds like a wonderful job youve done

This is a great technique dialectrics & much nicer than setting individual start points like some of the other methods! This + the sequencer ā€œscenesā€ trick someone posted a few weeks ago have really given me new ways to work with the DT.

1 Like

Great tip thanks!

It doesnā€™t really apply to this but just another form of timestretching where you loop grains of the sample then move the start point.

A loop mode which would behave like the default pingpong grains in ableton.
IE when it reaches the ā€œendā€ instead of looping from the start, it now plays in reverse.

Then when it reaches the start again it plays forward again.
This bouncing back and forth would reduce artefacts that can appear when you are rapidly restarting a sample when looping!

2 Likes

Been experimenting with this further and got some cool stuff going, a bit more grainy using the loop mode.
Setting the play mode to forward loop, then setting the LEN to 0. Changing the pitch/tempo gets even crazier, almost get a phaser / flanger effect going! Lets you pitch the sample up 2 octaves and still maintain the rythm etc :slight_smile:

Then turning the MULT down to as low as it will go to stretch things to the max.
Pingpong loop mode would be great here I think just to try things smooth out when rapidly restarting the sample over and over.
Wish we could do this on RYTM too but as you have start and end rather than length you canā€™t really get this grain effect :frowning:

Also - WE NEED MORE LFOS :smiley: :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks for the post dude. I wanted to try it out and started with ā€œtimelockingā€ (Iā€™ll call your technique like that now) a sample and build a little beat around it. It was the most fun and creative work Iā€™ve done for months.
All this endless options and possibilities in a daw cripple my creativity, but working with limitations is such a joy. Discovering work arounds and solutions is what helps me evolve.

So thx again for re-discovering the DT :smiley:

3 Likes

I appreciate your feedback and I agree, this method has resulted in some of my most productive and rewarding sessions ever using the Digitakt. Hereā€™s a couple follow up ideas for anyone looking into this method:

1. Try live recording the trigs instead of placing them in the sequencer manually.
  2. Try using multiple tracks to play back a single sample.
  3. Try adding slight changes per track to pitch, pan, filter, envelope, etc to create a stereo image. This makes control all very fun to use.
  4. Try offsetting trig sequences using FUNC + </> to find rhythmic variants of a sample.

Long story short, I think of Digitakt like Mutable Instrumentā€™s Clouds/Beads, except thereā€™s a whole eurorack case worth of functionality built around it by default

8 Likes

Woohoo!!! Thanks dude! This rules!!!

1 Like

Thought Iā€™d revive the thread to say that the new Digitakt update is HUGE for time stretching. Also thereā€™s a subtle bugfix in 1.3 that I didnā€™t see in the release notes - when time stretching the LFO depth is now 60 instead of 30 to span the whole sample index range of 120. This makes more sense because 60 is half of 120 and the SAW LFO is bipolar. Also the new LFO view makes it way easier to tell whatā€™s going on.

Anyways Iā€™m working on a follow up tutorial series on it but for now Iā€™m just having fun. I chopped up some breakbeats and a couple cheesy samples just messing around having fun, let me know what you think.

Lastly thanks to the devs for this awesome update :smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yKpc5c7PnI

19 Likes

Now you can use the second LFO to switch between forward a loop and reverse loop to create a ping ping mode.

11 Likes

Wow, canā€™t wait to try that out!

You could do ping pong with one LFO previouslyā€¦.I guess now you can do it at the same time as timestretching :+1:t2::grinning:

2 Likes

Thank you @dialectrics :raised_hands:

1 Like

I just had a go at the timestrech after not trying it for a while,
So much easier to understand what you are doing with the new graphics

1 Like

I experimented it again just after update, with depth 60 indeed. With the 2nd lfo you can modulate the ā€œlfo on startā€ Multiplier !

Another approach is to plock start values.
Less clicky imho, and you can use LEN in a better way.

3 Likes

Same principle, a bit more complicated, let you use 120 loops! Edit, just tested with DT, 30 loops is better with pressed button (30x4 values).

6 Likes

MAGIC
:slight_smile:

Will experiment with it further : )

1 Like