Really easy time stretching on the Digitakt

Dude this is fire!! Nice one

1 Like

I just adapted it for DT.
Around 5 minutes to setupā€¦

Megabreak of Doom for Digitakt

1 Like

Was messing around with the new 2nd LFO possibilities last night, lots more potential for mangling samplesā€¦

14 Likes

What were your destinations?

Btw I tried with lfo 1 on start and lfo 2 on lfo 1 Multiplier, it didnā€™t work properly with random waveform. Normal? Solutions?

Working properly with lfo 1, modifying its Multiplier manually. Thinking about trig conditions instead.

LFO 1 assigned to Sample Start
LFO 2 assigned to LFO1ā€™s Depth, Mode or Mult

3 Likes

My goal is to have a loop running normally with lfo on start, Multiplier = 2, and modulate Lfo 1 Multiplier, in order to have half, normal, or double speed, randomly but with quantized changes.

I for lfo 2 I chose random waveform and, Hold mode, depth 1.

I have the feeling that the Multiplier need whole values. Not sure.

just want to chime inā€¦
i love this video!

really great sounds

1 Like

thanks!

1 Like

Crushing it!! Love your creativity.

@sezare56 Iā€™ve found that changing the LFO multiplier is a ā€œvolatileā€ operation in the sense that if you change it then change it back theres no guarantee the phase of the LFO will return to itā€™s previous position, causing things to get out of sync. You can kind of get around this by parameter locking the phase to reset on the 1. Not sure if that helps - hopefully it helps you make things a bit more predictable at least.

One last thing Iā€™ve found is that changing LFO shape is a ā€œnon volatileā€ operation, meaning that if you change from saw wave to triangle wave then back, the LFOs phase will return to where it was before, staying in sync w the clock. Different LFO shapes give different beat repeat/glitch effects, so
changingg LFO1 shape manually or with LFO2 is very fun :stuck_out_tongue:

Happy time stretching!!

1 Like

Hereā€™s a tutorial for a refined version of the basic method with a couple new tricks added as well. Let me know what you think :grin:

33 Likes

Well explained, works really well with Lauren Hill. :content:

Funilly I also tried a single trig with retrig yesterday, and struggled with lfo starting at the beginning of the pattern.
I also used 2 trigs with trig mode for first. So Iā€™m happy it seems the good method.
(I previously thought TRIG page LFO.T would suffice like on AR, but it didnā€™t.)

Concerning multiplier random modulation doesnā€™t it work with midi loopback ?

I also experimented longer loops with lower depth values to play smaller parts, works well and means you can use several loops in a single sampleā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s the stuff my dude I always loved the idea of changing sample slot to get a whole groove in one track. Now we can do it with super long loops too and it works like a charm! Pseudo song mode.

Regarding midi feedback the answer is yes you can! Before 1.3 I was using it to do the sample slot trick. Havenā€™t experimented much with it since but now the depth of automation you can get if you do is bonkers.

1 Like

Just a quick video test (new smartphone, checking usb audio recording).

Had fun with start / slots / pitch plocks, and probability!

11 Likes

Fantastic video! Iā€™m looking forward to trying this out! This might be a dumb question but do you have any tips for capturing perfect loops on the digitakt? I assume you just listen and cut by ear but curious if thereā€™s a trick to grabbing these loops.

Recently I chained a pattern with the loop to a 2nd pattern with a single pulse wav, so that it was easier to trim with max zoom.
Hopping for better tips!

1 Like

Might make a vid on this too but basically what I do is get a single track set up with timestretching, record the clip I want to chop up, then test each of the chops one by one by loading them into the timestretching track and checking if the loop works. If it doesnā€™t I adjust the chop and save it again with the same name.

Itā€™s a bit of a skill to get the loop just right but having a way to test loops makes it way easier.

2 Likes

Dude thatā€™s fuckin tight. Thatā€™s just one track per pattern correct? So fuckin good.

Just messed about with an older bassline loop I had sequenced using an 0-ctrlā€¦ why did I wait so long to mess with this easy time stretch trick its so easy and fun!

1 Like

I was trying this and after running a while it starts to sound bad like it is getting out of sync with itself, causing pops and clicks, is this because you need perfectly trimmed samples prepared on a computer?.

You can get pops and clicks if your sample is not perfectly trimmed. However, this should be audible immediately. Did you set the first trig to retrig the LFO, so it will reset the sync each time the pattern starts?

2 Likes