Real Polysynth

And all the polys you’ve used do it?

I don t have at the moment all… but many

Tfw the thread shifts toward lamenting the limitations of equal temperament.

13 Likes

One more example

It sounds like you just described a natural phenomena that occurs when you play 2 different pitches together. You’d hear this with 2 sine waves.

2 Likes

Beating and pulsing is again down to physics as notes playing at different frequencies go in and out of phase.

1 Like

I played piano before… this type of distortion was not present.
Further more, there are lots of electronic music songs that have chords and do not sound like that.

What notes are you playing?

Turn the level down.

3 Likes

Physics

1 Like

Do mi bemol sol… It s not the notes… I did play piano

It’s a bright unfiltered waveform with specific harmonics, it’s nothing like the complexity of a piano. Try using waveforms with fewer harsh harmonics (eg triangle), and/or mixing different waveforms, and/or using a bit of detune and/or just closing the low-pass filter a bit.

5 Likes

I dont know what that is. Tell me which keys to press on my prophet 10.

1 Like

Yup.

And turn the level down. Sounds like its hitting the output too hot = distortion.

10 Likes

Yeah, the level thing too. Often synths can intentionally allow oscillators to clip the filter or VCA for distortion as part of the sound. Try turning the oscillator levels down (as opposed to the master volume level).

2 Likes

C, E flat,G
C, E flat, A flat
C, D, F
C,E flat, G
These are the 4 chords
It would be interesting on a poly like Prophet 10

Very often. Even the cheapo Microkorg will do this.
@Shinobi take note of all the good knowledge in this thread. It will help.

1 Like

H flat?

2 Likes

A flat, he means.

1 Like

H flat is actually used in Germany which is Bb in other countries. Did I win now? :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes