Real Polysynth

The Modal Cobalt8 has Unison 2, 4 and 8 but I don’t know if you’d like the Filters.

1 Like

If two notes sound bad together, pick better notes

17 Likes

Hey now, don’t be raining on his dominant seventh sharp ninth chord parade.

5 Likes

Peak/Summit can do unison in poly mode. But they are also 3-osc synths with a lot of complex osc waveforms available, so you can make things far too congested quite easily.

With the Summit you have 16 voices so you can, if you want, stack unison to 4 voices (12 oscillators per note) and play a 4-note chord.

2 Likes

:+1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4IcFED-10c

1 Like

having a list of synths that didn’t work for you would be helpful.

prophet 12 module may be a good option. check this thread:

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/sequential-discontinuing-the-prophet-12-desktop

at some point (not soon), the nord lead a1 may make it into my setup. i’m holding GAS in check so far. maybe it would work for you.

also check this thread:

1 Like

KingKorg? 24 voice poly/unison poly, bi-timbral, split, layer, tons of oscillator types, different filter models. Can create monstrous pad sounds which you’ll never use because there’s no room for anything else in the mix :stuck_out_tongue: Affordable, versatile, pretty easy to program.

I have one and like it. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Clavia Nord something are good synth that make poly chords.

1 Like

I’m going to echo Nord, any of the Leads, I say skip the Stages unless you are more of a piano/organ person than a synth person.

Actually I’m going to say free software synth first. Dexed is pretty cool.

3 Likes

I love dexed.

4 Likes

Jimi has entered the chat

Better than a flat 9!

1 Like

!

Poly test chord.

5 Likes

Shoenberg has entered the chat

8 Likes

I would a) Check out your favourite music dealer’s pages about available synths and then b) find reviews and sound examples on youtube so that you c) get a good idea of what synth you like the most and then d) (optional) come back here and ask for feedback if this or that synth might be a good choice. I usually do a) b) and c) and then buy something but then also go directly to e) which is send it back as the youtube videos where cool but I still don’t like it. Unfortunately.

Oh and I do own several Viruses and think they sound really nice.

I realize many of you don t get what I am saying… many just making fun…
So I ll try to post an audio file, maybe like this I make myself undestood.

1 Like

I mean…bit of a joke on my part (and perhaps on yours too?..can’t quite tell…lol)

In any case, I do find that the effect of dissonance is quite different on polysynths than it is on pianos. And I can see how if pianists are coming from a classical or jazz background and looking to play some of the more harmonically dense chords they are used to, they might not love the result. Or at least, they will need to calibrate their expectations to what the synth brings to the table. With an acoustic piano, there is so much sympathetic resonance and harmonic interaction going on within the instrument itself. Synths don’t have this, but as we know, they can do thousands of other things that shape the sound. So finding a desirable result is more about the skill of shaping the sound I guess.
My Rev 2 works great for chords that are more harmonically rich…but it doesn’t always work great. And I have found the same thing with many other synths I’ve tried. The magic is in the tweaking!

1 Like

Admittedly I’m on my phone here but I don’t really hear anything ‘wrong’ with those chords. Unless you mean aliasing as Peter mentioned? In terms of certain chords sounding purer while others are more dissonant, that’s just down to pure physics and is how music works in terms of tension and release etc etc. And obviously the more complex a waveform is for each given note the more dissonance will become apparent and clashing. So isn’t this more about programming simpler sounds for more complex chords rather than it being the fault of the synth?

10 Likes

This made me piss myself.

2 Likes

No

Aliasing or whatever, it s like a strange beating, pulsing in the sound, but only when playing more than 1 note…