Just 1 Polyphonic Synth under $2500 [narrowed to 4 now]

Hi All,

If you had to get just 1 polyphonic synth (4 voices or more) and keep it under $2500 USD, what would your choice be. It could be any type of synthesis, analog, digital, combo… whatever you decide. It could have the widest sound palette range or be very specific in its sound. It could also be a desktop module or a traditional keyboard synth.

Just curious as to what everyone considers to be “the best synth under 2500 for you”

Let’s hear it :slight_smile:

I‘m looking for the ONE poly for a long time now and always come to the conclusion that I‘m unable to decide.

Ob6 module for most character probably.
Not sure how much it is in dollars right now.
Prophet 6 the other obvious choice.

Udo Super 6 seems great as well…

I would go for character probably so I‘d get the feeling I have something special for that big amount of money, that I can’t get from software

4 Likes

Prophet-6, OB-6 or Rev2
I know that @AdamJay has also other good suggestions…

2 Likes

Maybe a slightly dented roland mks-80

I got a used OB6 for around 2300 a little less than a year ago. Best decision I’ve ever made.

2 Likes

The whole post by Unifono could’ve been written by me but this was the most important part for me. As hard as it is to define, and it’s also highly subjective, I’d get a synth with character. That might mean it’s not the most versatile of the bunch.

A lot of awesome synths available for 2500 or under, especially when desktop modules are taken into account.

Right now I’d go for Prophet 12, Prophet 6 or OB-6, in that order.

1 Like

I’m a glutton for synths so I would probably say buy a Rev2 module and a Digitone. if you’re buying new, and you only got the 8 voice Rev2, you’d still have $500 left over for more synths. and even more if you buy used… :upside_down_face:

I chose the Rev2 and Digitone because I think they’re both quite flexible out of what I personally own. should be able to get whatever you’re after out of them. I also own the Prophet 5, Polysix, OB6 and 106; which I think all have more character. but if you’re after a do-it-all type of synth, I wouldn’t choose one of those. depends what else you have though, I guess…

4 Likes

I’m trying to decide the same thing. I’m leaning towards the Prophet 5 module, but I’m a huge fan of Hall & Oates, and I think that is affecting my judgement.

5 Likes

For me it’s the Waldorf Quantum and for under $2500 the Iridium. It’s for sound design use.

4 Likes

So far lots of good choices on here - as for my personal use case, other than softsynths, I don’t have a true poly other than the DT. I also have a pro 3, typhon, lyra, erica synths bassline. I’m selling some other gear to fund a poly. Just like everything else, I know I don’t NEED anything, but I’d like to get something to play with :slight_smile:

Personally I’ve been eyeing the OB-6 desktop but wanted to see what you all suggested for yourselves as well.

I guess that if you just wait for a day or two, all polysynths currently availble will be mentioned here :slight_smile:

I’m very charmed by the Minilogue XD and because of that I upgraded it to a Prologue 16. It just sounds really, really good, and the custom oscillators and fx are a great addition.

2 Likes

for a while I owned no polyphonic synths. the OB6 was the first to really speak to me (like goosebumps from YT videos level). so I 100% get wanting it. but now if I had to slim down now, I’m not sure it’d be “the one” I’d keep. it’s important to be inspired by your gear though, so maybe it’s right for you…

I don’t think there is such a thing as the “best”, how can that really be judged?
That being said, while it’s really not for everyone, I’ve been loving my hydrasynth. The keybed alone puts it above many other polys. And if buying used you might be able to get it for half of your budget.
Not necessarily a suggestion, just food for thought.

1 Like

I love mine for just how individual it sounds, but it’s not really a “do-anything” synth. It definitely does what it wants and you just have to go with it, it is all amazing mind.
Something about it makes it feel more like a real instrument rather than ‘just a synth’, not sure how to describe it.

If I was limited to only one poly ever though, I would probably be weighing up the Rev2, Summit or Polybrute I think.

The ones that I know (own) : torn between Peak/Summit and Hydrasynth.

Otherwise, I would be tempted by Arturia Polybrute.

1 Like

Always wanted a Prophet-6 so would probably go for one of those, though a Prophet-5 desktop module could be cool.

I’ve found in recent years Juno-106 is the one I gravitate towards a lot… It’s the sound of most of the indie/bedroom pop stuff I’m into in and it’s so easy to dial up a nice sounding patch and get to writing. I recall them being like $500 when I started getting into synths about 12 years ago and am kicking myself for not buying what easily could have been “the one” back then. Just checked current prices and I’ll be sticking with software…

$2,500? Can I get 8 Micromonsta 2s? :wink:

Seriously the MM2 is my poly of choice right now. Partially, it just fits well with my brain. But also it punches so far above its weight. It’s bi-timbral. 3 oscillators, 2 LFOs, VCA, filter, and user-assignable ADSRs and something like 8 or 9 mod matrix slots — per voice. 6 voices per timbre. Three performance pots that can be assigned to anything. Filter FM, full-sounding drive, crazy-good reverb and delay…

I’ve got a ton of more expensive polys (A4, DN, Peak, a new P12 I should be learning…) but I keep coming back this this little dude.

Honorable mention to the EssenceFM. 3x as much as the MM2, but still only half the $2,500 budget and probably the best FM synth ever made. So much fun!

6 Likes

Probably not a popular choice here, but I think you can cover a lot of ground with the Jupiter XM. Usability wise it‘s a bit of a nightmare, but I think it sounds superb. It’s basically a lot of Roland’s legacy in one box. My second choice would be a Waldorf Iridium, I don‘t have one myself, but it seems a compelling and very versatile package, too.

4 Likes

If I was left with just one synth it’d have to be pretty deep to cover the range. Number one choice would be software, but barring that probably an Iridium, Hydrasynth, P12 or maybe a Peak.

I absolutely wouldn’t want to be stuck with something like an OB-6. Nice sounding synth, but so so limited. I just know it would bore me after a few weeks.

Nord A1. Sounds fantastic, knobby, immediate. Great FX. Numerous filter options.
A little light on modulation, but not when compared to some of the other polys being mentioned here (or vintage polys, for that matter). And Elektron’s sending MIDI make great modulators, anyway.

7 Likes