Reaktor 6

hehe thanks!!! :slight_smile:

The new preset switching feature of the Nano modules is very nicely integrated when running inside Ableton / Push

Nice! I’m excited to know how you are using the snapshots!

I need to do a proper video covering the block’s snapshot panel. You can control the snapshots of all the blocks globally using OSC or MIDI program change:

MIDI program change 1-8 selects snapshots 1-8 of all blocks.
MIDI program change 9-16 copies from current snapshot
MIDI program change 17-24 resets snapshots 1-8 of all blocks

BTW, here’s a video we just did, showing how to connect up a sequencer block, and then distorting and flipping around the ‘position’ signal that drives the sequencer’s playback position:

1 Like

Here’s a cheatsheet showing the anatomy of a Nano Pack sequencer:

2 Likes

Here’s another cheatsheet demonstrating how to build a wavetable synth with the Toybox Nano Pack.

You can download the Rack here:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/13921/

2 Likes

I’ve had Reaktor 6 for awhile but I’ve never used it. Just started this evening. Purchased some blocks from Toybox and Euro Reakt. Just getting some patches together.

I’m struggling to find how to configure MIDI pickup/takeover mode. I’m using a MIDI Fighter Twister and can’t see anything that documents how to setup pickup/takeover mode in Reaktor. I’m using the standalone version and I’d like to keep it that way.

Also, wondering if it’s possible to send parameter values to the MF Twister. I can’t remember the term for this but it’s where values are sent from Reaktor to the MF. You can also have it send this information when you load your rack so that your controller is initialized with the correct parameter values.

Any Reaktor heads here that can answer one of both of these questions? Really hoping there’s a pickup/takeover mode at the very least. It would be absurd to not have it in such a mature product.

Thanks!

Are you using it standalone? I usually use it in a DAW, which sorts that out for you. Let me look.

I’d much prefer to run it standalone. I can certainly run it in Ableton but, while I have a very capable laptop, I’m trying to reduce the points of failure as I’m looking to Reaktor to fill a gap in my live performance hardware setup. Also, having Ableton up and running, I might want to start digging into all my plugins and I really just want to keep things to the R6 sandbox.

It would be utterly absurd if standalone doesn’t have a takeover/pickup setting. :expressionless:

Edit: Or some means to send parameter values to my controller, at the very least, on project load.

Hit the magnifying glass on the left. Then theres a menu up top, which has a little check mark. Thats where your midi stuff is.

Yup. Definitely been in there. Nice way to auto-detect the controller then drag-to-map. Sadly, no pickup/takeover mode settings there.

I don’t have a midi controller set up right now, but when I check midi in, it says soft takeover. I’m not really loving Reaktor these days. I use the Reverb, and TRK01 and thats about it. I’m moving over to Bitwig Grid for modular building stuff. I’m on a Less is More kick. Hope someone knows and can help.

Is this in Ableton (or any DAW) or in Standalone?

R6 is a new thing for me. The elements I’m missing from hardware are long sample playback really. Just stumbled into R6 as I’ve had it with K12 for some time. I’d love to get some interesting sequencer stuff going. It looks like it will do what I need and give me a lot of fun tools. Just can’t get the MIDI bits sorted. Some other things I’m running into but I’m sure it’s just my new-ness to it all. Appreciate you looking. :slight_smile:

You hve to also hit Edit.

No ‘Edit’ button. Again, I’m in Standalone mode. Are you using it inside a DAW? I can but I’m hoping not to.

I’m on Reaktor 6.4.0. Try this…when you have the properties side bar up, turn a knob. But… yeah, I’m in stand alone. Are you using it with Komplete? That may be a a little strange.
Also, go to “view” and go to connection manager. That may help

Not using it with Komplete. Just standalone mode. I’ll try this in the morning. Thanks for digging into it. Much appreciated!

1 Like

the edit button only appears when you go to file-> new ensemble.

in the regular ‘patch’ mode you don’t get the edit button. you get the structure view or the patch view or both.

i don’t know about midi settings. i’m usually just patching with it or building something simple in reaktor itself. haven’t ever used a controller with it. guess i should try that. but in options, audio midi settings you have various options for configuring it.

probably will have to dig in the manual, the reaktor forum and maybe some youtube tutorials to sort out some of the details you’re looking for.

over on the left there’s the ‘controllers’ menu as well.

Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 10.58.18 PM

2 Likes

So you’re looking for bi-directional midi. Looking into it right now for you, just to share the first lead, this link establishes that it’s possible via OSC, so hopefully it should be possible via Midi as well:

I have a Midi Fighter Twister as well and played with it just last night with Reaktor but that was in Studio One (where “transmit value” needs to be checked in S1 for bidirectional midi to flow)

EDIT: ok, maybe this helps?

Just waking up now so I’ll look into these. Two things I’m looking for and either one would solve my problem. Either:

1. MIDI Takeover/Pickup mode which exists in every DAW I’ve ever used for years

or

1. Bi-directional MIDI which, as I was reading before bed, should be doable, generically, on the MF Twister

The issue I want to overcome is parameter jumping. I’m investigating R6 stand-alone to incorporate into a live hardware setup so I can’t tolerate parameter jumping in any way. I don’t want to have to manually initialize 64 knobs before every performance.

As others have stated, that’s Soft Takeover mode. You have to activate that (see screenshots from manual). You may also have to activate “Incremental” since the MFTwister consists of rotary encoders.

The setting doesn’t exist as posted in my screen snap a few posts back. Just did a short bit of reading after waking up and it doesn’t appear that you can adjust those settings in a Rack.

I used a Rack as I was just walking through an intro tutorial to get the basics down. I “think” these MIDI settings are only available at the Instrument and Ensemble level.

It looks like I have a lot more reading to do. And it isn’t that I would normally forgo the read but that I just fired up a simple “patch” and was looking for this very common MIDI behavior control. It’s sounding like Reaktor is not without it’s quirks and/or bulky complexities.

Appreciate the assistance and I’ll dig further or look into wrapping my head around the various container levels within Reaktor. :)\

Edit: Saved my Rack as an Ensemble and there are considerably more MIDI options than are available at the Rack level.

Edit 2: Bi-directional MIDI also works at the Ensemble level.

1 Like

there’s ‘properties’ for each module in a rack. option click and select properties and you have some other settings and information about the module selected.

1 Like