Radiohead

Find that funny that the shipping fee is the same all over the world, but 24 bit wave priced 16£ while mp3 is 11£, why ? :slight_smile:

Btw, i saw radiohead first gig outside the uk @ the roxen club (rip) in tel aviv, still have the ticket somewhere :slight_smile:

Thank you!

1 Like

i think, for ‘some’ and personally, one of the most influential bands in the past three decades. a band that has evolved continuously and keeps bringing emotions through music and i’m glad they’re still Radiohead :relaxed:

2 Likes

…and this sounds really good Unifono, i was waiting for the vocals to come in :grin: well done :relaxed:

2 Likes

Thanks. Maybe next time. I have to stretch my vocal cords until then. :grin:
by the way. If someone wants to give it a shot… A patch recreation of the idioteque synth line would be interesting.
For those who maybe don’t know, it was sampled from this recording. It was at the time when Fm synths were invented… Before the Dx7.

3 Likes

I think this is still my favourite electronic music track. Over 20 years old and still sounds fresh and slamming. I’ll forever be trying to make drums like this and dream of finding a sample like Paul Lansky.

14 Likes

“Idioteque” began with a rhythm created by Jonny Greenwood on a modular synthesiser. Feeling it “needed chaos”, he experimented with found sounds and sampling. Greenwood recorded 50 minutes of improvisation and gave it to singer Thom Yorke, who took a short sequence and used it to write the song. Yorke said: “Some of it was just ‘what?’, but then there was this section of about 40 seconds long in the middle of it that was absolute genius, and I just cut that up.”

Taken from Idioteque - Wikipedia

Which was originally taken from https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15226006&t=1612289073871

(Personally, Everything in its Right Place is my favourite, but this one is excellent too, as is the whole album)

9 Likes

Where the hell is the KIDAmnesiac 20th celebration box? I neeeeeeed those studio outtakes.

4 Likes

100%, I love this tune. I lose myself within 20 seconds of it starting.

1 Like

i second that emotion!!
maybe cuz of the pandemic though its harder to manufacture things and its a task they arent confident in?

you ever do the KidA infinite LOOP sync up to E.T. a la Pink Floyd with the Wizard of OZ??

Probably. Or maybe waiting for Amnesiac’s anniversary.

NO! What is the cue point?

you gotta stack em in itunes or your player of choice i forget how many multiples

so it just looks like KidA, KidA, KidA …etc. etc. in your playlist and then you hit start right when you see the spinning Universal Planet logo in the opening of the film

theres also “Kid Dracula” where you stack Kid A and them Amnesiac back to back and play that to the black and white Dracula movie Nosferatu and that syncs pretty eerily as well

1 Like

Yeah their best album, ideoteque, everything in its right place, morning bell, the national anthem all great tracks

1 Like

I could never pick a best album… They’re such complete works on their own.

I largely ignored them until Kid A came out in my college years. I was obsessed with Music for Airports and On Land (ambient 4) at the time, and then Kid A just slipped right into that lane, and I couldn’t get enough. Immediately picked up OK Computer (used), and flat didn’t like it. Sold it back to the store.

I’d relay this story to a friend of mine a few years later, and he full-stopped whatever we were doing, went home, brought OK Computer back to my place, and we listened beginning to end. (For the kids, this was back when you had to physically have an album to listen to it)… It blew my mind. No idea what I didn’t like a few years earlier. A few decades later, having seen them 5 times, AFP once, yeah… can’t name a favorite. I’ll listen to any of it starting with The Bends.

7 Likes

Is this for real ?? 20 years ???
It feels like yesterday.

3 Likes

This is eerie. To preface: the short story I’m about to tell is 100% true. I woke up yesterday morning with an idea to make a new tune. The inspiration for this tune was basically the intro part of this song (Idioteque) with the drum part and the meandering melody. Now, mind you, I’m not even a big Radiohead fan. In order to not forget the idea, I quickly wrote some notes in the Notes app on my phone. I wrote: “IDM beat like not portishead, maybe like that Radiohead song” and one other note was “humming vocal melody” (I guess I really just want to copy Idioteque…)

At any rate, I was drawn to this old thread today, and since I had only read a few early posts, fast-forwarded to the recent posts and saw this about Idioteque. What a trip. Perhaps it’s my destiny to cover this song now. haha. I just pulled the song up on youtube and got the chills from all this serendipity.

1 Like

@chapelierfou Yeah it’s crazy the 20th just kind of slipped by without a big fanfare…

Anyone listen to that Minidisc Hacked dump? Is it worth diving into? Maybe it’ll tide me over until whatever they do…

1 Like

Depends. I’m a pretty hardcore fan, and didn’t find anything particularly interesting there, the quality is shit, and it just feels wrong. But I prefer their post Kid A output by far, and wasn’t really around when OKC was first released, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

1 Like

There are various guides such as this:

And, a hardcore fan created Google doc of everything on there with time stamps etc:

2 Likes