Q: is Organelle new Nord Modular G2

I also get really interested in the organelle now with the orac. But yeah, looks quite menu divy.

Once a patch is set up with a MID controller you neednā€™t menu dive at all. But if used standalone, you are obviously limited to the 4 pots. Nanokontrol2 + Orac is a thing of beauty.

2 Likes

Iā€™m definitely planning on hooking my MIDI Fighter Twister into this system, with its 16 push-enabled encoders I imagine it can take care of the more fiddly stuff.

1 Like

hmm. If this stuff was out 2 years ago, I might have resisted getting into eurorack.
Still more hands on I guess.
But my main soundsources are digital mutables which will be all implemented in organelle and vcv rackā€¦

How good are modulation sources on Organelle so far?

I run a Sound Devices Mix Pre D as a sound card with mine so sounds pretty good to me!

If you ask about lfo/mod modules in orack, there are none as yetā€¦ but this will come in time. There is a nice moog type filter module with its own internal cutoff lfo, but this first set of modules is just a peek of what will be converted to fit in the orack format.
If you mean generally how good modulation of parameters can be on organelle, it can be razor sharp, bpm syncd, smooth as you like.

1 Like

Not to derail the thread too much, but it reminded me of this: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-55648.html

2 Likes

TF is wrong with people?

One can bypass the internal DAC? Nice.

I mean are we at a point now that Plaits will just soon be porteds? Is thatā€™s whatā€™s happening?

The code for all MI modules is open source and porting is relatively straightforward for those in the know. For me, not at all straightforward!

So I guess all modules could be ported in theory.

Modulation busses will come in v1.1 apparently and I fully expect to see LFO modules, etc. For now though you can already modulate anything with anything else but you need to get your hands dirty with Pd.

2 Likes

Not their analog ones :grin:

Sorry, I thought all MI modules were digital, my mistake! MI analogue nodules:

I donā€™t know if very soon, but it would be a surprise if it wonā€™t happen.

1 Like

I think Oliver releases the code after the first batch is sold? And it has, soā€¦

Crazy.

2 Likes

you donā€™t need another software platform to access this software platform

3 Likes

Hi guys,

I was looking around for some small and interesting synth and I stumble onto the Organelle.
I looked at the website and found that it has quite a lot of modules to work with and with thetechnobar patch of Orac, it seem that it could be a powerful and interesting synth and the possibilities of adding patching built in PD. (Iā€™ve used Maxmsp before, so it would take slight adjustments to get use to PD)
So I was wondering if anyone out there is using the Organelle with the Digitakt and what are your comments on the workflow, sound creation and usability of the organelle or in tandem with DIgitakt.

best

2 Likes

Well, I think the real benefit with the build-in editor is that it is a ā€œliveā€ environment. There is no need for a separate upload step. Just try the patch with the controls on the organelle while still editing it.

Why should it be much simpler to use Pure Data on the laptop? The build-in editor is the standard (linux) environment + Organelle extensions. There should be no difference (beside the ā€œliveā€ aspect) running this on a linux laptop or on the box itself.

1 Like

I also think the comparison is not really helpful. Both devices are quite special.

Live coding as performance ā€¦ hmmmm ā€¦ while this sounds like an interesting idea Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s really practical at least for a single person.

It might be my earplugs, but the organelle patches ive heard on yt are mostly high pitched and tinny sounding, and the controls seem to be over few parameters. Does it do good bass and such aswell? How about meaty filter sweeps? Fm with deep control over algorithms, operators, etc? Would love to feel the hype, and did until i sat down and listened to the demos. Please correct my wrongness :slight_smile:

Critter and Guitari have done bass demos:

Otherwise, compared to the sheer number of great, individually interesting patches - there are just a few demo videos. You area probably better off searching ā€˜pure data musicā€™ or something. (or see recommendation below to hear organelle music). Really, just know that any sound possible with other digital hardware is at least potentially possible with pure data, if someone can code it. Only things holding you back are creativity and sound card.

1 Like