Q: is Organelle new Nord Modular G2

on a different note: guy in Nord forum modified the ‘tabletop’ G2
https://www.norduserforum.com/nord-modular-forum-f24/g2-desktop-t15385.html

3 Likes

MY EYES! IT BURNS! :skull:

1 Like

Modulation 'modules’ are also on the way too in this new modular approach to using organelle. Many multiple internal LFO’s mappable to Elements, Clouds, Rings, Juno 106 emulations, resonant filters, drum samples, polyrhythmic or euclidean sequencers etc. All rerouteable without needing to Edit any patch files. Much like the zoia (actually think it’s now closer to hardware vcv rack) except in my view, way more flexible and interesting. I’ve had a play with this and depending on the cpu draw of modules i used simultaneously i’m pretty sure I could do away with my octatrack for live shows now. I mostly use it for sequencing and effects, live looping etc. That could just be done internally now on the organelle. PLUS i can figure the setup for said live set while riding the train cause it can run on a mobile phone battery pack. This thing is so underrated.

3 Likes

Why? I am considering one these crazy boxes…

Wow, it looks like he used a chainsaw for that tabletop mod. Quick and dirty :smiley:

1 Like

What makes the Nord G2 really special (im talking about the key version) its the GUI and workflow, its a pure work of genius !

1 Like

Just for the reason that far more possibilities and modules will unfold with time, knowing the user base the organelle has. More open ended than the zoia in that respect. If i did want to roll up sleeves and dive inti and make a pure data patch, it’s far easier now to create/contribute something sonically interesting without spending ages on patching UI elements etc. I could just make a quick fm synth and user somebody elses sequencer module. Very productive. One patch I’m sure will find its way to becoming converted to part of this modular format fairly soon is a key-quantized turing machine sequencer. Already a stand-alone patch for organelle and really powerful I think. Having that little keyboard is big plus for me too.

2 Likes

That’s a criminal offence

1 Like

Yeah what really gives me pause about the Zoia is that it’s closed. Like, are they going to keep developing it? Just add smatterings from their various products? How about OSCs, which they don’t do? Organelle already has Mutable…

Empress algorithms alongside open source, now that I can get down with…

1 Like

The sheer quality of their effects would be thing pulling in the other direction for sure, also with it being closed it is less likely you will encounter a hiccup or bug before it gets fixed in a users patch/module like you could with organelle. The organelle is just so much freakier, like some patches are really characterful and just would not crop up on any other platform (well, hardware at least). Like… Autechre max patch madness sounding shit.

4 Likes

You had me at Aut.

The other benefit of the Zoia is that it’s “user friendly”: the user wouldn’t need to worry about downloading, managing patches…it’s all given to them. Which honestly is appealing to me.

Although, as you say, you can’t easily then go off piste. Which is also appealing to me.

Decisions. Decisions.

Wonderful we have them, tho.

Thanks for the wisdom!

1 Like

Currently the Orac patch of 50+ modules is curated and (largely) stable although at v1.0 and any minor bugs will hopefully get quashed soon. Obviously you can also get your hands dirty.

2 Likes

Thats fucking disgraceful. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Can the organelle be used with the software open on a computer acting as an additional editor?
Just watched the Orac demos and the menu diving was making me dizzy.
I really like the concept, particularly the new Orac implementation, but way too much menu diving and complexity trying to be shoehorned through that small display.
Doesn’t look intuitive at all to me, but don’t know if a computer can be used simultaneously as an editor, as per the G2?

I guess youd have to try it to find out but Orack was only released a couple days ago and the controls (3 to remember) are in muscle memory now.
You can remotely edit on the organelle from your computer using something called OscProxy but it’s a bit tough to set up at the moment for the average user. Most people plug in a keyboard, mouse and monitor and edit ON the device. @thetechnobear , the chap who has created orack and so many things for the the organelle has said that OscProxy will likely be rereleased and easier to set up, which would be great.

1 Like

Yeah, since the release of orac, my gas for the following boxes has magically ceased (well, for now at least) as I think more and more about the weird, complex, and heavily personalized musical possibilities that I can easily achieve with the Organelle, without much or any programming:

norns
digitakt
octatrack mk ii
empress zoia
rebel technology magus
qu-bit nebulae v2
mannequins w/
orthogonal devices ER-301

Geezus.

a few interesting things for the Organelle at the moment. keep in mind all of this (according to the orac creator) should be portable to orac fairly easily by anyone without prior programming knowledge, and some are already included in the orac 1.0 release:

-“top ten user patches” video - Juno-104, Mellowtron, and Glass FM are noteworthy

-monome grid patches including kria, meadowphysics, white whale, and the working prototype of mlr in this video. the organelle can serve as a host for the monome grid, since serialosc is capable of being installed on it

-the official critter & guitari patches are getting increasingly interesting, and they’re starting to use the new graphical capabilities of the latest firmware 3.0. euclidean sequencer and DJ patch record are the latest offerings (the latter being an asynchronous two-playhead sampler/looper that delves into octatrack territory)

-a patch to enable MPE instruments to communicate with the Organelle, like the Linnstrument and Roli Blocks

-the virtual modular environment automatonism includes modules for the organelle keys, knobs, and screen, so you can get automatonism patches to run on the Organelle hardware easily. some of the sounds I’ve heard from automatonism definitely approach Autechre generative insanity.

-the latest firmware has support for supercollider patches, which opens up new worlds of sound and programming (monome’s new norns box leans heavily on supercollider, so expect lots going on with this in the near future)

-mutable instruments stuff, as already mentioned

-takes on the popular boutique pedals “count to five” and “infinite jets”, and a version of the roland RE-150 space echo

-a take on make noise’s morphagene

this is just what I’ve dug into - there are way more amazing things waiting to be experimented with.

5 Likes

Compared with Nord, graphical patch editor is way more advanced for Organelle. No need for computer, just directly connect HDMI monitor and you are good. Using G2 editor tekes me out of the flow.

How’s the sound quality? 16 bit? :face_with_monocle: