Q: is Organelle new Nord Modular G2

Well you need Pure Data to edit the patches that run on top of the linux-based software of the Organelle. So the only thing that makes it more advanced is… well, nothing. Unless you LOVE to code in Pure Data, and then you’re in heaven.

But thankfully there’s no need to know Pure Data to enjoy the Organelle. The same goes with the Nord Modular. You don’t have to make your own patches, because there are hundreds available for free online. Just load them up into the Micro Modular (for example) and off you go to play it computer free.

Not needing a computer to create patches is technically cool. Sort of. Sure, I could run the Organelle directly if I had an HDMI port on an external display that would likely have been hooked up to a computer anyway. Keyboard, mouse, monitor, and Organelle. Look at me, I’m not using a computer. This is awkward, but so advanced. Or, I could just use my laptop which would be much simpler since that’s the environment that Pure Data would likely be coded in anyway. Create or edit a patch, load it up on the Organelle and then I’m done.

Well, I think the real benefit with the build-in editor is that it is a “live” environment. There is no need for a separate upload step. Just try the patch with the controls on the organelle while still editing it.

Why should it be much simpler to use Pure Data on the laptop? The build-in editor is the standard (linux) environment + Organelle extensions. There should be no difference (beside the “live” aspect) running this on a linux laptop or on the box itself.

I wonder about the creative opportunities live coding would present during a live performance. It could be fun. To be clear, I think it’s very cool that there’s a built-in editor and that there’s a way to access this hardware away from a computer.

I only take issue of the notion that the Organelle is some sort of advanced replacement for a Nord Modular (G2 or otherwise). The comparison is not helpful and frankly diminishes the capabilities of both instruments. Far more interesting to me would be finding ways for them to work together because each have their own strengths.

I also think the comparison is not really helpful. Both devices are quite special.

Live coding as performance … hmmmm … while this sounds like an interesting idea I’m not sure if that’s really practical at least for a single person.

It wouldn’t be much simpler. Unless you already had a laptop (because it can save/store code projects in a way that an external keyboard alone can’t).

But maybe if I got an Organelle I would find myself never wanting to touch a laptop again. I’m open to that possibility, but if I’m going to code, why not just use the laptop I already have?

It might be my earplugs, but the organelle patches ive heard on yt are mostly high pitched and tinny sounding, and the controls seem to be over few parameters. Does it do good bass and such aswell? How about meaty filter sweeps? Fm with deep control over algorithms, operators, etc? Would love to feel the hype, and did until i sat down and listened to the demos. Please correct my wrongness :slight_smile:

Critter and Guitari have done bass demos:

Otherwise, compared to the sheer number of great, individually interesting patches - there are just a few demo videos. You area probably better off searching ‘pure data music’ or something. (or see recommendation below to hear organelle music). Really, just know that any sound possible with other digital hardware is at least potentially possible with pure data, if someone can code it. Only things holding you back are creativity and sound card.

Not sure I understand, hook up any HDMI monitor and it IS Pure Data, the same as it would be on any other computer. The Organelle after all has a Linux computer at its heart.

EDIT - I should have read other replies, sorry for the repitition! I don’t have another suitable computer for Pd so the Organelle is perfect for me.

Personally speaking, I was in the same boat, and didn’t get a good sense of what the Organelle was capable of sonically until I sat down with this thread on the C&G forums of people sharing their Organelle-based music, and started clicking on soundcloud/yt/bandcamp links at random. What I heard there pleased me enough to make me greenlight the purchase; your mileage may vary! (I was less interested in things like deep bass and filter sweeps, and more interested in ‘can you make wild experimental exploratory stuff with it’?)

It runs on Mac/Win/Linux. But if you don’t have a suitable computer, then that’s a perfect use case for programming on the Organelle directly. Another perfect use case is if you simply prefer to work that way.

Here’s some live coding (and talking) as performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK1mBqKvIyU

The concept is great, but I think they need a bigger controller with much more knobs, bigger display etc, particularly now they have the Orac system, and the patches are becoming more advanced.
The current UI doesn’t look ideal, particularly for these bigger patches.
I guess they will release a mk2 at some point, or another company will see the opportunity and do it

Lil Data (among others) does live coding music performance using TidalCycles / Haskell.

Not the most illustrative video but it’s interesting stuff (to me, anyway).

TidalCycles playlist of performances from their site:

A larger Organelle as you describe would be very interesting indeed. If such a thing had plenty of knobs/faders with MIDI learn, I’d be all over that. Add a couple of wooden buttons just to keep it folksy. Maybe give it stereo inputs like on the Nord Modulars.

But going by current form factor, I see the Organelle as closer in spirit to a micro Micro Modular. Load your patches and then play them live. A patch (or chain of patches) may be complex, but in a performance situation maybe only a couple of knobs are needed for macro control. Either way, I’d rather lug one of those to a gig than a full on keyboard.

some people have done clones but that’s beyond me, i don’t even know linux.

Do you mean multiple inputs? The Organelle has a stereo in.

I own a micro modular as well, and it is virtually useless to use without the editor. Would be difficult using it live without the editor imo, having to memorise patches and associated controls per patch.

I didn’t notice that in the manual. That’s awesome. Good to know!

You can always connect an additional midi controller/master keyboard to it if you’ll need more controls.

If the single stereo input isn’t enough, just hook up a class compliant USB audio device to it (more inputs AND outputs).

Screen: well, the HDMI output in combination with a tablet sized display could be possibly utilized as larger GUI. Of course there needs to be done some basic development first.

To sum it up: in principle a larger Organelle isn’t required for the functionality.

But, of course, an all-in-one device would be interesting (depending on it’s price).

Through the MIDI magic of program change I am able to change to the appropriate patches at the appropriate time. The point of the Micro Modular is portability. In a live situation, which happens to be the scenario I most often see the Micro Modular in, they are very useful. One friend plays out with two Micro Modulars sequenced by an MPC. One plays the role of a dope FM synth, the other for Percussion. Brilliant, for what they are.

The Nord Modular G2 is an awesome synth. It has the best programming interface of all of the Nord Modulars. Perfect for a studio setting. But I’ve never seen someone play one at a show. If I owned one, I’d feel like a dick (more than usual) bringing something as rare and expensive like that on stage. No way.