Q: is Organelle new Nord Modular G2

Not sure I understand, hook up any HDMI monitor and it IS Pure Data, the same as it would be on any other computer. The Organelle after all has a Linux computer at its heart.

EDIT - I should have read other replies, sorry for the repitition! I don’t have another suitable computer for Pd so the Organelle is perfect for me.

Personally speaking, I was in the same boat, and didn’t get a good sense of what the Organelle was capable of sonically until I sat down with this thread on the C&G forums of people sharing their Organelle-based music, and started clicking on soundcloud/yt/bandcamp links at random. What I heard there pleased me enough to make me greenlight the purchase; your mileage may vary! (I was less interested in things like deep bass and filter sweeps, and more interested in ‘can you make wild experimental exploratory stuff with it’?)

Here’s some live coding (and talking) as performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK1mBqKvIyU

1 Like

The concept is great, but I think they need a bigger controller with much more knobs, bigger display etc, particularly now they have the Orac system, and the patches are becoming more advanced.
The current UI doesn’t look ideal, particularly for these bigger patches.
I guess they will release a mk2 at some point, or another company will see the opportunity and do it

1 Like

Lil Data (among others) does live coding music performance using TidalCycles / Haskell.

Not the most illustrative video but it’s interesting stuff (to me, anyway).

TidalCycles playlist of performances from their site:

3 Likes

some people have done clones but that’s beyond me, i don’t even know linux.

1 Like

Do you mean multiple inputs? The Organelle has a stereo in.

I own a micro modular as well, and it is virtually useless to use without the editor. Would be difficult using it live without the editor imo, having to memorise patches and associated controls per patch.

You can always connect an additional midi controller/master keyboard to it if you’ll need more controls.

If the single stereo input isn’t enough, just hook up a class compliant USB audio device to it (more inputs AND outputs).

Screen: well, the HDMI output in combination with a tablet sized display could be possibly utilized as larger GUI. Of course there needs to be done some basic development first.

To sum it up: in principle a larger Organelle isn’t required for the functionality.

But, of course, an all-in-one device would be interesting (depending on it’s price).

2 Likes

Yeah true

Re: screen real estate, I think Critter & Guitari made a very good decision to have a small but bright, easily readable OLED screen that comfortably fits a few lines of text. In an instrument where a major aspect is encouraging musicians to get into coding and designing their own applications and tools within the box, the small screen and amount of text never feels overwhelming to program or fill up with useful parameter info. I can imagine feeling pretty bummed if I made a great sounding patch, but had a big display that was mostly empty. Because ultimately we want to be sound designers, not UI designers. Leave that to the Teenage Engineerings of the world who have more resources and credentials. And really, for 99% of applications, you don’t need to have a wall of info or a deep menu system, just the important information. And the small but useful screen allows for the Organelle’s form factor, which is just about perfect.

1 Like

This thing is cheap enough to give it a go I guess

Yeah such a shame Nord hasn’t released a modern G3
Problem is they were too ahead of their time with their modulars, people didn’t understand them, and they weren’t as successful as they had hoped.
With the Eurorack and modular explosion of late, everyone now wants a G2 hence the crazy prices they are now fetching.
Now is the time for Nord to release a G3, complete with CV matrix in and out to communicate their internal modules with Eurorack.
They would clean up now imo.

2 Likes

Ha yeah, when the Organelle was first announced there were a lot of people saying “you could do the same with a raspberry pi, it’d be easy!” and then wouldn’t explain or link to any resources when I pushed back. I can’t even figure out how to get low latency audio out of my pi; something about Linux makes my brain explode. I like being able to customise things, but almost everything requiring near coding levels of knowledge to even get working is beyond me.

A friend of mine takes his G2 Engine out for gigs. I guess that’s a lot more subtle than the keyboard version, but I don’t see a problem with it. If I had the G2 (even the keys version) I wouldn’t hesitate to play gigs with it. Could easily do entire sets with it alone.

Yeah… it’s a dream but I think they’re making more money from their stage pianos than they ever would with a G3. They seem more focused on performance instruments than sound design these days.

I have given up hope of a G3 a long time ago, but when eurorack went gangbusters a few years ago, I had a glimmer of hope that Nord may see an opportunity and a market for a G3.
The crazy thing is you would think they have already done most of the hard work with their G2.
If they were going to capitalise they would have done it by now though for sure

I don’t find there is a huge need, but Orac’s creator has said that an accompanying iOS app is in the works for iphone and ipad.

1 Like

Yeah, I still see that. Ppl dont know how much time and energy it will take to make something like this to work. Yeah, you can do everything Organelle is doing with a 50 eur linux box but you would invest a lot of time/effort and probably will abandon the project along the way. This is what is done right with Organelle. It’s a self containing instrument that works out of the box and does not need computer for programming.

3 Likes

I know one person who pretty much does entire live sets with a G2 keys, and has toured with it too, and I’ve played with another friend who used a G2 keys (among other things) for gigs, including one involving cross-Europe travel.

1 Like

I have an Axoloti sitting a metre away from me that is living proof of why an Organelle in many ways might be a better - or at least easier, if not cheaper - choice.

2 Likes

Can the Organelle output audio over USB either natively or by a hack? I want to use it on the “PC” USB input on a Roland MX-1, anyone tried this or using a similar linux based solution with the MX-1?

1 Like