Push 3 Users Thread

One standalone, one tethered works fine. I haven’t put the SA into control mode since I got the non-SA, but I assume you can always run either one at a time.

No. My SA was already reduced to 30%, but I’ve now reduced it to zero so that they match. I only ever use them in low lighting situations, so this works for me.

1 Like

I probably would have stuck with the controller version if the USB bus power/single cable was an option for me - but no joy!

I now barely use full fat Live on the Mac and just use P3S pretty much exclusively these days. I’ve never really been one for finishing tracks so for me, having something to quickly get ideas down and have fun with is ideal. If some more of those Live 12 features arrive on P3S then I will be very happy.

1 Like

Had a jam with a mate of mine last weekend. He had his push standalone plus a livid controller with him. That’s it. Just that alone is worth it imho. No laptop, no audio interface and extra cable mess.

To be fair, I’m using mine with an adat interface, and all connections used, so lots of cables :sweat_smile:. But still, one device less being the laptop.

I’ve been using mine mostly in controller mode as I’m practicing and fine turning my live setup. Sometimes I take it with me on the couch to play synths with mpe or design some sounds. It’s nice :+1:

7 Likes

I was thinking about the midi tool features on the push, if they exposed the ability to have a Javascript UI panel on the Push screen, it seems like it could be amazing for those transformation and generation plugins. Not to mention all the other amazing M4L devices that could then access the screen too.

1 Like

I find the standalone part to be a bit handicapped at times. Yesterday my friend and I were sitting with it tethered to Live and we tried to do as much as we could on Push itself, but sometimes it just makes more sense to grab the keyboard and touch pad to make some quick edits. I find that the midi editor on the Push is especially frustrating to use. Like, you can’t even select all notes of a certain key and transpose them. You have to either select all notes in a sequence, or individual ones. Seems like such an obvious omission and that means you’re better off just doing midi editing in Live instead.

They should add things like the ability to hold Shift and spin the wheel to select a range of notes. Or to automatically select all notes of a particular key if you hit that key/pad - just like it works on the MPC.

The other thing that’s just faster for me in Live is to pull in my favorite devices. On the Push, it’s a click, click, spin, spin, spin, click, click kind of operation whereas in Live it’s literally clicking on the Purple collection and dragging an EQ Eight onto the rack. They really should rethink the navigation flow for the things you do most often as currently it’s very slow and tedious.

So back to your question, if I use the Push in standalone, it’s generally to get an idea going, but then I intentionally leave some steps out thinking that “I’ll get that done later in Live”. Especially things like fixing the notes that were wrong, or making a few variations of a clip that invokes a lot of copying and pasting of midi notes. And typically as soon as I start to lay down the general arrangement and leave Session view, the Push has sort of done it’s duties and I’d rather unplug it and work straight off of the laptop instead because the Push is so large and heavy.

As a side note, I find that it’s a bit tricky to find a comfortable space to use the Push and the laptop simultaneously. I currently keep them side by side, but because of how large the Push is, that means I have to move the chair back and forth depending on what I’m doing. This means that it’s just easier to press the S key on the laptop keyboard than to press the S button on the Push for example, and that is another reason why the Push sort of doesn’t have a natural place in my workflow unless it’s physically sitting on my lap and isn’t tethered to Live.

Side-note: the actual song embryo we created yesterday is awesome and I can’t wait to develop that song further. The Push is still great as an instrument kind of device because it left some really unplanned note bends and shit I would never have come up with in my head that made us push through with the song to a point where it’s worth finishing it. So, yay Push - in spite of its limitations!

I tend to agree with this too. I’d rather have Ableton invest a great deal of time to perfect the workflow of the day to day tasks (editing notes, tweaking synth parameters, adding/swapping favorites, setting up quick performance macro bindings for in-the-moment knob twisting across multiple tracks, etc) than to have them spend that time to build an arrangement view that I would probably just use Live for anyway.

Focus on the 0-50% phase of the creation and make that part of the workflow flawless. Then I’ll happily transition into Live once I’m past that point and the creative flow is no longer as critical.

3 Likes

This pretty much sums up my experience of the Push :slight_smile:

I’m puzzled how it still after these many years continues to be “a click, click, spin, spin, spin, click, click kind of” device.
I bought it to get an immediate tactile experience, and somehow, this is not exactly what I get.

Also, I find it difficult to find the correct setup for both the Push and my laptop. Both needs to be in front and centered for me to feel right.

Still it is nice to have it.

3 Likes

Forgive me if this is obvious and known but: does live 12 mean we also expect upgrades to the standalone features? Or just a modest update to get compatibility with desktop live 12?

It generally seems like people who perform live with P3SA tend to really like it, and the rest of us are more mixed on it.

Honestly I agree, despite what my previous comments may indicate. At this point, the only thing I want in this regard is a way to do automation across clips, like dedicated automation lanes or something that run independently of the main clips. I can do that in the box in arrangement view, obviously, and I understand that’s tremendously unlikely as it would represent a huge break from how clips work more generally.

They’ve said there will be a big Push update in a couple weeks :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I sort of agree with your sentiments here. It’s really key to get Push in a place where it’s front and centre, otherwise it’s just easier to use the keyboard (esp if you learn the shortcuts) and mouse.
I was recording the stems from my Circuits over the weekend and didn’t even end up using Push at all! I think the only thing that I thought would have made using more convenient by the Push was easy fixed length recording.

1 Like

Don’t know if that is what they said? In the email I received it was only saying that push sa compatibility for Live 12 would come on the 19th March and we can get access to Beta before if we need it. No big new features in the Beta so far so I think it might be a bit longer before a big update.

I assume the latest Push 3 Live 12 beta(b29) will be more or less the final version in two weeks, no huge updates to be expected. Maybe some bug fixes.

But I hope now Ableton released Ableton Live 12 they will give the Push 3 standalone some more love, I find it deserves it.

2 Likes

I think we have lots of nice things coming in the coming year. It’s still early days😊

3 Likes

Ah, I misunderstood the email I guess.

1 Like

It’s not supported.

When Push 2 was released I used Push 1 alongside it until I eventually needed the desk space, but it did work even though there some occasional glitches/hangs.

Not sure how this is with P2/P3 since I gave my the P2 to my brother.

Is Roar and Meld in that beta? That’s really the only thing I care about.

I might start using my Push 3 SA as a stupidly expensive effects pedal for my S2400. I really want Roar on it though lol.

2 Likes

Yes, Meld and Roar are both in the beta.

1 Like

Anyone having problems with external instruments in live 12 controller mode?
I can’t send any midi to external devices, works fine with live 11.
Seems to be a problem with the push 3 external port.

Folks, I’m officially at a crossroads here. I’ve got 3 digi-boxes routed into my Push and am doing my best to retain the Elektron sequencer workflow on them. It’s not been easy. For context, my usecase for the Standalone is that I write in Controller mode but (ideally) ship the project to the Push for use in Live performance, sans-laptop.

Ideally you’d want to keep the firing of a midi or audio-clip in sync with pattern changes on the Push. Out of the box, Elektron’s notion of waiting for pattern changes until the completion of the current set of bars defined by your page settings keeps it out of alignment from Ableton’s global clip launch quantization.

I’ve been working with Airyck’s wonderful Elektron Pattern Clips M4L device but I’ve noticed that it’s not quite ready for standalone use.

And now the new Midi tools in 12 just dropped and I’m thinking, should I just be writing all my midi and automation in Ableton and sequencing the digis?

But then I’m thinking, if I’m not using the Elektron sequencers, do I even need the digis?

Anyone else in my predicament? Have you found a way to integrate Elektron sequencing with Ableton clip launches?

1 Like

Taking a day off to celebrate life and using my favorite instrument to express that joy:

just a sketch at the moment.

8 Likes