Push 3 Users Thread

Or a 27” iPad!

2 Likes

Yea. I’m curious as well for the Push. It’s exciting but how should I get my hopes up :flushed:

Whats coming on the 19th is bound to be the same as what beta users have already experienced. Which means that some new 12 features are missing from the Push user interface. And to put it another way: what you can do in Push controller mode with 12 today is what you will be able to do in standalone mode on 19th.

2 Likes

Since I was already on the beta I thought today might not having anything really new in store for me. But it turns out that Novel music updated their devices to work with 12 and with Push 3 in both controller and standalone mode, so I do have new stuff to play with after all, yay.

1 Like

Does the Catch update now look correct in light mode in 12? During the beta, the text labels weren’t visible.

So tempted to get this … or at least a Push 2… never liked Ableton much but love hardware…hmmmm.

Does the Max device, Mono Sequencer work on the Push 3 with Live 12?

And do we get the midi generative stuff on the P3 Standalone?

Curious

2 Likes

Just posted on this in the main Ableton thread, but my hunch is that the controls will be made mappable and added to the Push interface in a fairly early update - it would make sense that they’d roll them out in a limited form and see how it goes rather than potentially having a bunch of people getting angry about making Live fall over by yanking the controls all over the place and/or applying audio rate modulation. My bet is once the implementation is proven stable it will get opened up. And if/when that it comes to Push standalone it’ll be game over.

2 Likes

interested in hearing from stand-alone owners, when are you finding the stand-alone capability useful or noteworthy? Any guesses as to what % of the time you are stand-alone without a computer?

I’m standalone 99% of the time - I have no interest in hooking it up to my computer if I can avoid it. As a sequencer and basic compositional device, it’s excellent - more powerful than my old MPC One. However there are flaws. Missing parameters for some synths, editing some things can be clunky, a nd finalizing an arrangement really needs to happen on the computer. That was true of my MPC though so I don’t hold that against it.

I’ve only transferred one project to the computer so far, but the process is smooth. There’s also the option of setting up a much more complex project on the computer and transferring to Push but I haven’t actually bothered yet.

2 Likes

The lack of arrangement mode, drifty midi timing and an awkward workflow resulted in me letting the standalone go, swapped for an MPC4000. Gone a very different path lol.

4 Likes

I also use mine more often in standalone mods. I find it very useful to use alongside eurorack with CV outs and then record that directly into Push3. Not having the computer is a big plus.

Arrangement mode is non-issue for me because I generally use it once I have things worked out in Session view.

I do see the problems with MIDI drift in standalone, which is sadly annoying, but I can work around it. Even powering off/on SA is not the same as restarting a laptop.

1 Like

are P3 users not even talking about /asking for tempo/ time signature changes and warp marker manipulation via the knobs?
is it not even on abletons radar or what

I rarely use my Push 3 in standalone. Tried doing it a few weeks ago and ended up being frustrated. It’s great for performance and great for building up a song as long as you’re using presets. Sound design for pretty much every synth feels like a chore to me. Drift and Meld are good on it, the others I just want to use my computer.

I’ve been a Push user for like 7 years too so it’s not like I’m new to the workflow, just highlights how much I actually do use the M/KB in tandem with the Push when I use ableton.

Also I agree, I don’t think it needs a song mode. Scenes are very easy to use to lay out a track. Then you just load the project up in ableton and live record a base arrangement and edit from there. Don’t know why people would want a clunky version of that just so they can avoid a mouse and keyboard for a device made by a DAW company.

6 Likes

My Ableton Journey

I got the SA as a green Ableton user and used it exclusively in standalone mode figuring I’d never be corrupted to go tethered because I’d never know to demand or expect more from SA than it provides. A willful, happy ignorance. Of course, you have to tether for sensible file management, and then a couple of things I needed to do to customize drum racks (as described upthread). Then there was another advanced feature or two (e.g., polyrhythms via note chopping–and what about microtonal?), then my must-have Superior Drummer VST, then I saw how Live responds so accurately and nicely to what happens on Push and vice versa. I’ve been sucked slowly but surely into the dark side.

Then I began to resent my SA because picking it up to put it on my lap as a full-featured hand drum required clearing 5 cables over the keyboard in front of the SA. It’s just not usable that way, dislodging cables and rather uncomfortable to reach forward for hand drumming. An angled riser is even more uncomfortable due to the wrist backbend. And then I wanted that mf on my lap for just about everything. The Push really needs to be front and center, and on my lap also allows playing the keyboard in a natural way.

With just a 2-hour battery, I now can’t think of any use for standalone. Mutating like covid, I’ve become a tethering fool and I’ve bought a second Push (that’s right, two of them), non-SA with only one USB cable coming out of it. It’s so nice: I manhandle that thing as needed without cable issues. The plan is to turn the SA off to see if I ever have the need or desire to go to it. There’s something to be said for having 128 pads simultaneously available, but it’s likely to end up as one very expensive backup device. Too big a waste, so one of them’s definitely getting liquidated in the upcoming months.

3 Likes

Interesting. I’ve had my Launchpad X in storage ever since getting the Push 3, but the thought did cross my mind once of pairing the two. How do you use your dual-grid setup?

Up to now, I don’t: it seems really inviting, but I haven’t felt any inspiration for anything to do with it. Even having one drum controller under each hand is a non-starter because 64 pads is plenty for serious percussion action. I also welcome suggestions on how to exploit both.

I was under the impression you couldn’t use two pushes at the same time?
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209071969-Push-1-Using-two-Push-1-units-simultaneously
https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=230003

I use my Launchpad X as a session clip launcher alongside the Push.

1 Like

Doesn’t the dim Push display bother you when used only with USB?